visa exemption scheme, 10,000 baht or 20,000 baht

I thought one of the requirements for entering on visa exemption was to have 10,000 baht equivalent, but I saw on the Washington, D.C., embassy website that you need 20,000 baht. So is it 10,000 or 20,000? 

Also, do they check for proof of accommodation?

The rules, I believe have, for a long time, been 20,000 baht per person (or 40,000 baht per family) if entering with a regular visa or visa exempt. There is a reduced requirement of 10,000 baht (20,000 per family) if entering on the 15-day visa-on-arrival.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

The rules, I believe have, for a long time, been 20,000 baht per person (or 40,000 baht per family) if entering with a regular visa or visa exempt. There is a reduced requirement of 10,000 baht (20,000 per family) if entering on the 15-day visa-on-arrival.

I think it also allowed equivalent in any 'major' currency to be shown if asked, on arrival.

I used to carry Thb 20 k with me as at one point I was making multiple trips in. Never asked to demonstrate I had the funds on me. The rumour is that if you look a bit on the dubious side / shabbily dressed they may ask you to demonstrate the funds but I’ve got no evidence of that.