How early can I renew driving licence at Morchit DLT?

soi3eddie

My car licence expires in June 2022. How early can I go to renew please? I know previously it was 3 months early but thought I saw 6 months written somewhere recently. Also, my motorcycle licence expires 2 years later. I made a mistake of not getting both at the same time therefore this requires 2 trips every 5 years. Does anyone know if it's possible to align the expiry of both licences? As I rarely stay 3 months at a time it's not possible to get residency letter from immigration and use letter from embassy. If I renew both licences at same time do I need 2 letters from embassy or will DLT accept 1 letter? I now have a yellow book for my condo - will DLT accept that in place of residency/embassy letters? Thanks for any advice on this.

Have not seen a change of rules regarding early renewal. Three months.

The grace period for late renewal is one year without extra effort.

One to three years late requires written/multiple choice test redone.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Have not seen a change of rules regarding early renewal. Three months.

The grace period for late renewal is one year without extra effort.

One to three years late requires written/multiple choice test redone.

Currently it may take up to 3 months to book an appointment, so start earlier

• Thanks 1

If you go right after it expires in June, then when you renew you will get almost six years out of. So if it expires on June 26th and renew before then it would expire June 26, 2027 (your Birthday). If went on June 27th or later then it would expire June 26th 2028. They base it on the next 5 years of your birthday.

• Like 1

You cannot renew your license until it expires which is crazy and then I was informed you have up to a year to renew it . Yesterday I read they are introducing a new digital license so I would leave renewing until that’s up and running. I have renewed mine 3 times and each time I wait until one day after it expires 

Edited by crazykopite

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Yesterday I read they are introducing a new digital license so I would leave renewing until that’s up and running.

You miss read the information. There is the DLT app that gets you license information from the database and it is then valid for everything EXCEPT driving. To use the app you need a license with the QR code. There is no suggestion that the licenses will become fully digital for driving. Also you can only have 1 license not both on the app. This is no drawback as it’s only for use as ID.

26765803-2945-4D09-9BA2-3AE3F4EC57FF.thumb.jpeg.b1e9f173c44df213bd8c8956d87f1338.jpeg40EAE2EB-A66D-49F3-AA6A-497357B2C6FB.thumb.jpeg.dbc507451a6a825fd1ec33ea20c73237.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 hour ago, dsj said:

If you go right after it expires in June, then when you renew you will get almost six years out of. So if it expires on June 26th and renew before then it would expire June 26, 2027 (your Birthday). If went on June 27th or later then it would expire June 26th 2028. They base it on the next 5 years of your birthday.

Thanks. Problem is that I'm rarely here when it expires and prefer to do it in advance. Guess I can leave it until I return and get extra validity. 

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

You cannot renew your license until it expires which is crazy and then I was informed you have up to a year to renew it . Yesterday I read they are introducing a new digital license so I would leave renewing until that’s up and running. I have renewed mine 3 times and each time I wait until one day after it expires 

I normally renew 3 months before expiry so there is no need to wait until expiry. As I'm going to DLT to renew road tax before end of Feb I thought may try to renew DL at same time which would be 4 months early. Hence my question in the OP.