What Do You Do ?

pepsi666

I was on night work last week repairing a burst fire main at Heathrow and during the time we were working, a conversation started............. What do ex pats who have retired and arent working do with their time ?

I said 'I didnt have a clue',

I said there must be a limit to how much people can drink, with the pubs virtually 24/7,

Cant just sit in the sun all day,

Cant just visit go go bars all the time, and once you have taken in all the tours, what else is there ?

Can't play golf, fish, run, keep fit all the time :D

This is the reason for this posting........... What do you all do for interests/hobbies ?

This is aimed at Ex-pats who have retired and arent working (illegally or legally) :o

I know if you are a bar/pub owner your time is pretty well accounted for (even though the staff run it) :D

Lets try and keep this topic informative, without the flames, eh ?

Good luck! :o

In reality, do retired people in other countries do much more with their time?

One huge advantage in Thailand is the hot weather which is easy on arthritis. I know a lot of countries where farang originate are very cold for many months a year, and I'm sure at home these people would not be doing too much.

It's possible also that expats (particularly the men) copulate more ofen in Thailand than they would at home. That's really good exercise too!

Edited by tropo

Good luck! :D

In reality, do retired people in other countries do much more with their time?

One huge advantage in Thailand is the hot weather which is easy on arthritis. I know a lot of countries where farang originate are very cold for many months a year, and I'm sure at home these people would not be doing too much.

Thats what I mean, they have fantastic weather, so what do they do ?

If its cold/freezing and wet in the home country, you'd be indoors and stuck in front of the TV

and theres a limit to how many times you can get your legover (unless you use a little blue pill) but there must be more than living like a rabbit :o

I was told that if I retired that I would be bored to death with nothing to do. I'm happy to say that I am now retired and have adapted to doing very little and doing it well. :o I have many small projects started and I just cannot find time to get them finished. I LIKE it like that.

When I was working I looked forward to retirement so I would have the time to do what I wanted to do. Now I am retired I find that there is still not enough time!

Windsurfing

Taking photographs

Processing photographs

Learning new computer skills

Playing computer games

Writing a couple of newspaper columns

Trying to catch up on reading the many books I bought but never read

Travelling

With a bit of time kept free for relaxing and enjoying the absence of deadlines, stress and endless meetings that were a feature of my former life.

There is so much in life to explore and enjoy, just a shame that we have to spend most of our lives working.

pepsi666,

After retiring from 35-year professional works three years ago, I have been diverting my attention towards of my second likings on economic subject and internet world. For the first few months, I felt somewhat guilty for not leaving home early in the morning and not in the office like many others. But after I have sunk myself into these two areas, I have been lost to the world and just realised that I am good on my investment and passable on my ability on the internet world. I thank Bill Gate and others all the time for widening my horizon.

Prior to retirement, I promised myself of not ever uttering words like "I wish I had retired sooner", or "I am so free.....etc." because they are untrue. With the long services, I still have a little bit of attachments and am grateful to the past work for helping me to retire nicely. My retirement was mainly due to my self-searching exercise of what I wanted in life when I was grounded the first time in the hospital and something told me to pursue for the second liking. I certainly regret for stopping on my first area and grateful for also now enjoying my study on economics and investment pursuit.

Cheers!

Pack in your dreary 9 to 5 and come find out :o

But Hey ... I thought the Poles did that !

Naka.

Nah, Poles cant do this work, they come in do a job, then a tradesman comes and does it properly.

Wish my job was 9-5, unfortunately its 8-4 then on call, joys of LHR

I retired at 54 but after one year a former contact asked me to help out on a job because he was short handed. I accepted because it would allow me to travel to foreign countries on his dime and I always enjoyed the work I did. I've been doing it for 4 years now and limit work to a max of 3-4 months a year. I have done jobs that are dreams come true. Like the Football World Cup in Germany last year where I had credentials that allowed access to any match. Or my recent return from the Cricket World Cup in the West Indies.

The remaining time I spend at various places in Thailand. A normal day could be playing pool in one of the pubs, laying on a beach, diving or snorkeling on one of the islands. I also spend time on the computer, playing golf and fishing. And the most enjoyable of all is talking with a young sweet Thai lady while sipping a brew in a pub.

I guess my retirement has turned into semi-retirement and I would not trade for anything because its the best of both worlds.

I am not retired however I have many retired friends who occupy their times with varying degrees of skill and success. My favourite is the guy who gets up in the morning goes out for a short walk gets himself a Bangkok post, goes home reads it. Showers goes out to Soi 6 for an afternoon of enjoyment. Goes home sleeps the afternoon off and then he is off down walking street for an evening session. This an almost daily routine for him and he loves it.

Not everyones ideal I know but each to their own. :o

Myself, being an expat for 7 Years. Thailand is the life for me.

I dont work here, i go to the beach, i plan my next holiday, i have a lot of animals which take up my time, my housework, my internet, and most of all the Disco.

I am never borred here in the Land of Smiles.

For myself, it beats getting up at 6am, cold and working hard to pay Bills back in my home country.

A few years ago an old boy who lived across the road from me retired from the local car factory on his 65th birthday, from then on he had made up his mind that he had retired and just sat in front of the TV all day with his wife waiting on him, she even had to washed the car for him, 6 months later they carried him out in a box.

One thing I do know, if you do not have an interest and do nothing it would not be long before the "Grim Reaper" visits.

BB

:o-->

QUOTE(Basil B @ 2007-06-12 13:13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few years ago an old boy who lived across the road from me retired from the local car factory on his 65th birthday, from then on he had made up his mind that he had retired and just sat in front of the TV all day with his wife waiting on him, she even had to washed the car for him, 6 months later they carried him out in a box.

One thing I do know, if you do not have an interest and do nothing it would not be long before the "Grim Reaper" visits.

BB

Basil B,

That was good. However, the interest should have been developed prior to retirement.

:D--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Basil B @ 2007-06-12 07:13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A few years ago an old boy who lived across the road from me retired from the local car factory on his 65th birthday, from then on he had made up his mind that he had retired and just sat in front of the TV all day with his wife waiting on him, she even had to washed the car for him, 6 months later they carried him out in a box.

BB

Yep, know of quite a few who never saw the year out, got to have an interest of some kind.

I have heard lots of retired people say 'they dont know how they ever fitted work in' but I can never pin them down to what they actually do to fill the hours, I know a guy who was an electrician and he retired and went out on his own, didnt seem much of a retirement to me though :o another guy went to the BAA club for a farewell drink, climbed the fence, rather than go round and use the gate, got hit by a car, retirement lasted 4 hours :D

I like the idea of plenty of exercise (walking, running, maybe the gym, just browsing) then a break in the sun, not too struck on a session in the pub, a kip then another session in a pub (dont think I could afford it anyway)

I enjoy my job, but I enjoy the company of my workmates, I dont think I'd actually miss the job, but I'd miss the banter with the blokes, I'm up every day at 5am, go to the gym, have a run into work, shower, and the start of my day, never have a bad day, just varying degrees of good :D

Anyone else want to add their interests/hobbies ?

Edited by pepsi666

Besides having snook with my girl,

look for advice online TV & offer helpful posts when I can.

Make plans for building a house. the good old fashion American way with 5/8 rebar making sure the galvanized steel has access points to get a to get to (no pvc buried in cement) & building to overkill code as i do not fancy Cheap Charlie route & would rather spend 200,000 baht to have it built right.

Besides from that enjoy The gift God gave me LIFE! And of course Thailand!!!!!!

Edited by Beardog

It has been my personal experience that those individuals who had no outlets to prevent boredom during their working lives have the worst troubles with retirement. If they came home from work and plopped down in front of TV, that is likely the only thing they know how to do. The guy who stops to drink after work will likely go to the pub and drink after he retires.

Some manage to learn skills such as hobby activities after retirement but, as an example, it is hard to learn to play golf at 60 something.

Workaholics, in my opinion, have the most difficult time adjusting to retirement.

The solution to fighting boredom starts early in life not late.

That was good. However, the interest should have been developed prior to retirement.

Not so sure on this. Coming to a new environment to retire for some people, is a joy. As can be finding a whole new group of friends through an activity or interest you have never tried before. I'm like a little kid with a new toy when I find something new to do. I went from Rugby to Hockey to golf and now Lawn Bowls. Each sport forced upon me by age and injury. Each one I swore ( in descending order ) was a girls/old man's game until I tried it. Enjoyed them all and met great friends along the way.

New stuff keeps you alive.