Young children vaccination starts 31 January

snoop1130

fa5905e46c2b9025d225ade3e6ec6ec4_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - COVID-19 vaccination for young children aged 5-11 years will start on 31 January. Children with underlying health conditions will be prioritized in this vaccination drive.

Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, Director-General of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said the Pfizer vaccine for young children is packaged with an orange vial cap, with each vial containing 1.3 milliliters of concentrated mRNA vaccine, which must be diluted with 1.3 milliliters of 0.9% sodium chloride solution before use. After dilution, each vial can provide 10 doses.

The primary vaccination schedule for children 5-11 years old requires 2 doses, each administered 3-12 weeks apart. This children’s version of the mRNA vaccine can be stored for up to 10 weeks at 2-8 degrees Celsius, after being removed from ultracold storage.

With lower dosages, side effects in young children are reported to be less frequent than in older children. Common side effects include fever, chills, headaches, muscle aches, and fatigue, as well as swelling and redness at the injection site. These side effects should go away in 1-2 days. Children will be observed for any adverse events for 30 minutes after the injection.

Dr. Somsak Loraka, President of the Royal College of Paediatricians of Thailand, said the dosage used in young children is a third lower than in adults, and that the vaccine is safe based on real-world studies in several countries.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is currently the only COVID-19 vaccine approved for young children by Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration.

Full Story: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG220126172821811

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-26

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Our daughter 7 is getting her vaccine next week.

Out of 28 children only 3 have opted to be vaccinated in her school.

We live in Issan.

My friends son 11 has been fully vaccinated.  Every child was vaccinated in his class.

They live in Hua Hin.

I think maybe a more educated pool of parents in that area of Thailand.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Sad 1

Thinking long and hard on this. Have a daughter, 8 yrs old, and still deciding. Have always said once the needle goes in, no going back. 

She's had all her childhood shots. There is just something in the back of my head saying no.

I have had two shots, pfizer, so has the wife. Kid has had the flu every year (even with vaccine), and although not pleasant, her symptoms were manageable. Tylenol for fever, lots of liquids, rest, etc. We eat well. Lots of fruits and veg, in moderate amounts, no pop, no chips or sweets (got lucky as my kid loves cold water and fruit over snack foods). 

Only catch, might return back to Canada this Spring and currently need to be vaccinated. 

Couple of more sleepless nights to decide.

• Like 1

Well, just a quick update on our story. 

After fighting nearly 2 years avoiding this Damn thing, we got sick.

A friend my daughter plays with caught it and passed it on. It appears the mother of this child protected her daughter by keeping her out of school for the  past two months. It was one reason we let our daughter play with her. However it appears she also looks after two other children that she sent to school on the bus each day for the past two months. Seems the whole house came down with covid last Friday or Saturday,  but did not believe it serious enough to let my wife and I know until tuesday.

Anyway.

Me - double vaccinated Pfizer 

Wife - double  sinovac, Pfizer booster

Daughter - was scheduled for vaccine this week

Wife - minor symptoms, nothing serious

Me - lethargic, flu like symptoms, generally yucky

Daughter - fever, body aches, dry cough. She has been in constant pain for 2 days now. Severe back pain. Thought it might be dengue at first, but she has been diagnosed with covid.

My daughter has had the flu before. Three years ago was hospitalized as a result. This is not the Flu. 

Take care folks. Those with kids, I do hope you never experience this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rct99q said:

Well, just a quick update on our story. 

After fighting nearly 2 years avoiding this Damn thing, we got sick.

A friend my daughter plays with caught it and passed it on. It appears the mother of this child protected her daughter by keeping her out of school for the  past two months. It was one reason we let our daughter play with her. However it appears she also looks after two other children that she sent to school on the bus each day for the past two months. Seems the whole house came down with covid last Friday or Saturday,  but did not believe it serious enough to let my wife and I know until tuesday.

Anyway.

Me - double vaccinated Pfizer 

Wife - double  sinovac, Pfizer booster

Daughter - was scheduled for vaccine this week

Wife - minor symptoms, nothing serious

Me - lethargic, flu like symptoms, generally yucky

Daughter - fever, body aches, dry cough. She has been in constant pain for 2 days now. Severe back pain. Thought it might be dengue at first, but she has been diagnosed with covid.

My daughter has had the flu before. Three years ago was hospitalized as a result. This is not the Flu. 

Take care folks. Those with kids, I do hope you never experience this. 

I hope your daughter recovers quickly.

Is this Omicron?!

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Actually I'm not at all sure that one of the Chinese vaccines wouldn't be better for the job.  They seem to be safer if less effective.

I’m definitely thinking this way. Going to have to decide for my kid soon because the mandates are looming.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 2:15 AM, MrJ2U said:

We live in Issan.

My friends son 11 has been fully vaccinated.  Every child was vaccinated in his class.

They live in Hua Hin.

You sound really snobbish and patronising. I think more to the point is that Isaaners don't trust the government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind that "kids" are temporary, covid is forever. If you vax them now they will not enter the risk stages at later years, much like mumps, measles, chicken pox, all of which had "death rates" before vaccines.

I see people posting their kids have had all the childhood shots but worry about this 1. The ones you let them have already are all tried and true over years and years. Now you know what your grandparents thought about with mumps, measles, etc.

Tried and true over time takes trying and time. Too bad God has been on the back burner for so long. :wai:

• Like 1

It's been available in Canada for 5-11 year old kids since November.

My son is 10 and I though long and hard about getting him vaccinated, I talked it over with him and he wanted to have his shots.

I got my son vaccinated when it came out Nov 24, second shot 2 weeks ago now. No reactions other than a sore arm, same as my experience.

He's always been very healthy, no underlying conditions. The vaccination is just another layer of protection, if he needs it he's got it. I don't buy into the whole But IT's uTesTed and mrNa wHiLe cAuSe................ And kids don't get Covid (insert conspiracy links and third hand stories here)

There's a chance he'll get it and I want the best protection for him

One of the drivers for me was that the schools here in Alberta have stayed open since the beginning of the school year in Sep.

With Omicron the schools have been running about 10% absentee rates, children and teachers.

His grade 5 class has quite a low rate although we don't get exact numbers, just an e-mail if there is a confirmed case in the school. A separate e-mail if there is an case in his class. Grade 1-9 school with a kindergarten, approx. 850 students.

The schools have sent home rapid test kits to help monitor if there are symptoms.

The School Board here just authorized a upgrade on all schools to a high grade HEPA  air filtration system, seems a little late, but governments. Easier to install here as all our buildings have heating systems with ductwork.  I think this will help more than masks.

All in all I'm much more satisfied with the school response in Alberta than his former private school in Udon Thani

Edited by kwonitoy

6 hours ago, talahtnut said:

With no long term data one simply cannot make an informed decision.

True, but how long do you need to wait?  My kid's school is talking about vaccinating 5-11 year-olds next month.  It would be nice to wait a few years to see the effects of Covid vaccines on kids but that doesn't help parents make their decision now, as is being required.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

On 1/26/2022 at 10:15 PM, MrJ2U said:

We live in Issan.

They live in Hua Hin.

Why are you allowing your daughter to get a vaccine when she is safe from Covid?

On what basis do you think parents in Hua Hin are better educated than say Khon Kaen? 

On 2/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, rct99q said:

How old is she?

Sounds unusual. Hope she gets well soon.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How old is she?

Sounds unusual. Hope she gets well soon.

She is 8. There were about 15 kids in the same group, and all had similar symptoms. 

It passed rather quickly. But was worrisome there for a few days.

I am still feeling yucky! No fever, but headache, sore throat, achy, no sleep, no energy. No other health problems. 

On 2/7/2022 at 9:57 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

True, but how long do you need to wait?  My kid's school is talking about vaccinating 5-11 year-olds next month.  It would be nice to wait a few years to see the effects of Covid vaccines on kids but that doesn't help parents make their decision now, as is being required.

And can we not wait a few years how sick are 5-11 year olds getting from covid and particularly omicron? Most of the debate I've heard is vaccinate young children to prevent spread through their parents or grandparents. Now we live in a world where everyone has had the opportunity to be double vaxxed and some are on their first and even second booster I would require a more substantial argument than that. 

We were told 2 would be enough now countries like Oz have moved boosters forward to 3 months and Pfizer is working on a omicron specifv vax will I and my children need that as well?

Im sorry I did the right thing had my double dose now im not that keen on another if I need it within 3 months. I have had zero flu vaccines ever had the tired and true ones when I was young and a slew of others as a requirement  as my profession as a seafarer but what I won't do is subject my self to endless injections.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:07 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

Keep in mind that "kids" are temporary, covid is forever. If you vax them now they will not enter the risk stages at later years, much like mumps, measles, chicken pox, all of which had "death rates" before vaccines.

I see people posting their kids have had all the childhood shots but worry about this 1. The ones you let them have already are all tried and true over years and years. Now you know what your grandparents thought about with mumps, measles, etc.

Tried and true over time takes trying and time. Too bad God has been on the back burner for so long. :wai:

This vaccine doesnt work like the ones you mentioned., Actually if it worked then we wouldnt need to keep getting boosters.

A Covid vaccine today isnt gonna help you next year not less in your late years

4 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

This vaccine doesnt work like the ones you mentioned.

How do YOU know how many vaccines were tried to stop small pox, measles, mumps, etc. before they got it right? Do you know how many people died getting an x-ray before the guy thought, "Hey, maybe if I turned it down a bit..."? How many men and women died of STDs before penicillin was perfected? Bet the % then is higher than the % now.

Big difference is back then people readily turned to their church, pastor and God for support. Now, unfortunately, they turn to Google. :wai:

Be honest now, did you pray for an answer or just Google for 1? ????

On 2/7/2022 at 10:05 AM, Neeranam said:

Why are you allowing your daughter to get a vaccine when she is safe from Covid?

I guess the point is that she might not be safe from Covid!  Most of the advice I've seen suggests the risk to children from Covid, while low, is higher than any risk from getting the vaccine.