10 year tourist visa for Thai national - has anything changed during the last 2 years

Negita43

My Thai girlfriend has a 10 year tourist visa expiring in 2026 which I believe (subject to the actual immigration officer on arrival) gives her up to a 180 day stay in any 12 month period.

She hasn't been able to use this since 2019 because of Covid restrictions (in Thailand and in the UK) but we are hoping to get back to the UK in May (we are both currently in Thailand - I managed to get back in December after 2 years absence).

The question is:

Has anything changed the validity of the visa she has during the Covid restrictions over the last two years?

She will of course comply with all the other requirements for entry extant at our arrival date.

Lucky her to have a 10 year UK visit visa. Still valid as issued. Nothing changed. As you rightly said entry is still at the discrection of the border force officer on arrival. Assuming no adversity (overstays) in previous visits and status unchanged from time visa issued then all should be good.

13 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Actually status has changed in one respect she retired in September 2021 - she was a government teacher. Is it necessary to report that?

If you are both arriving together and departing together and have honest intentions to leave under the duration of the visit rules then keep quiet. Though, do answer any questions honestly and be prepared to show documentary evidence as to why there is no reason not to allow entry. Having confirmed return ticket is esssential to support this (even if dates are changeable later). In my experience you'll be fine. I once had a 20yr old Thai niece visit me and then Mrs. in the UK. Niece spoke minimal English and I was called by immigration officer while waiting in arrivals. Immigration officer asked all the questions already asked and answered on the visa application. I told officer "but you already have the answers to these questions". 5 minutes later niece passed into arrivals hall with baggage,

14 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Actually status has changed in one respect she retired in September 2021 - she was a government teacher. Is it necessary to report that?

A UK Immigration Officer can only refuse entry to someone holding a visa if either deception was used to obtain the visa or there has been a change of circumstances since it was issued. The onus of proof is on the IO, and there is a right of appeal before removal against any refusal.

There could be no question of deception several years and visits since the visa was issued Arguably, retiring from her job is a change of circumstances, but any refusal would be very harsh, as anybody's circumstances can change in the course of 10 years, and given her compliance on previous visits (which must go back longer than the 10-years visa?) it would only be an over-zealous IO making an issue of this and I can't imagine any Chief Immigration Officer authorising a refusal.

I'm not suggesting she lies, but there's no need to mention this unless asked.

Edited by Eff1n2ret
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

A UK Immigration Officer can only refuse entry to someone holding a visa if either deception was used to obtain the visa or there has been a change of circumstances since it was issued. The onus of proof is on the IO, and there is a right of appeal before removal against any refusal.

There could be no question of deception several years and visits since the visa was issued Arguably, retiring from her job is a change of circumstances, but any refusal would be very harsh, as anybody's circumstances can change in the course of 10 years, and given her compliance on previous visits (which must go back longer than the 10-years visa?) it would only be an over-zealous IO making an issue of this and I can't imagine any Chief Immigration Officer authorising a refusal.

I'm not suggesting she lies, but there's no need to mention this unless asked.

First visit to UK and Europe (Schengen) 2009 since then 5 or 6 trips and one to USA (10 year visa) other years short trips in SE Asia (to save money!)