Faulty External HDD - recovery expert in Phuket?

BMW Overlander

Drive contains photos and videos only. Photos can still be transferred to another disk but at max speed of 710 kb/s.

Videos which are in gigabytes are another story, impossible. I contacted phuket-data-wizards but I guess they are out of biz, no reply.

Any recommendations who could help me out here in Phuket?

Edited by BMW Overlander

I don't know an expert in Phuket but maybe you don't need an expert.

Years ago external hard disks were mostly sold as external cases with internal hard disks inside. You could open the case and then connect that hard disk directly to the motherboard or with another adapter. Is that what you have? Then you can/should try that.

And if it is a sealed external hard disk then often it is like above, just without screws. Often you can ply it open and then remove the internal hard disk and do as above. Basically any computer technician can do that. I did this many times and often it worked.

If you absolutely love those pictures and videos then you should hire an expensive professional company. Last time I checked there was no such company in Thailand. Otherwise try above and/or freely available software.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Main_Page

• Like 2

Contact "Phuket My Mac" either on Facebook or:   https://www.phuketmymac.com/?fbclid=IwAR1gCCMmUnJZSqiKkDfs6R9xsAKIRrr89kFqQ5AZ6lHlFYQfdtWq7HefUok

He knows his way around hard drives, internal or external, and reasonably priced (last year he replaced a screen on my iMac, and fitted a new SSD Hard Drive.   Very knowledgeable French guy, his place is in Kathu.

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Contact "Phuket My Mac" either on Facebook or:   https://www.phuketmymac.com/?fbclid=IwAR1gCCMmUnJZSqiKkDfs6R9xsAKIRrr89kFqQ5AZ6lHlFYQfdtWq7HefUok

He knows his way around hard drives, internal or external, and reasonably priced (last year he replaced a screen on my iMac, and fitted a new SSD Hard Drive.   Very knowledgeable French guy, his place is in Kathu.

Thanks.

I took my MacBook Pro to the Apple 'preferred repairer' dude at Central Mall Phuket Town. Same floor as the Power Barn etc he's in the far corner opposite Power Barn. If ya can't find it ask the folks in the Apple Store on the corner of the concourse (same floor of course). Did great work for me.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:15 PM, KannikaP said:

Sorry to say this after the event but BACK ALL DATA TWICE. Once on the Cloud and once on another drive. 

Murphy's Law says that if your computer HD blows up, there is an equally good chance that your backup HD will fail at the same time (I've had it happen).
Lessons learned the hard way.  Keep an external HD backup and disk images stored somewhere else.  The day you think that is overkill will be the day you find out that it isn't. 

• Like 1