Switch from BOI Non-Immigrant B visa to Retirement

All,

I am hoping that all you very knowledgably people can help me prepare for this transition.

Details:

Went to Singapore in 2015, sent by my BOI company.  Obtained a Non-Immigrant B visa and have been working on extensions till now.  Would like to retire at the end of the year and wondering a few questions.

I have the needed 800K in the bank.

Will I need to leave the country?

Can I do this at my local immigration office in Ayutthaya or need to go to Bangkok?

I also am on Thai SS and was told that I can continue that after I retire.  My Thai friends say it is automatic and you need to continue to pay but I would like some real confirmation.  How to pay, how much to pay and where?

If anyone with this experience can shed some light on any issues that I may encounter, that would be great. 

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

You change the reason for your extension of stay based upon working to retirement without leaving your country. 

You will need to be meet the financial requirements for the extension of stay based upon retirement on the day you apply.

Before the change your current extension based upon working must be canceled at the office that issued it and then you can apply for the extension at the immigration office where you are living.

Not sure about your Thai SS question. As far as I know it will depend upon your age and number of years you have been working. I do know that you can continue your medical coverage by arranging to pay a small monthly fee for it.

There is an official letter you get from the Labour office when you cancel the W/P. This is reqyuired for the change of Visa. You may need a copy of the company papers as well. They also require the reason for cancellation. Or get the company to do it for you if you are on good terms with them.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You change the reason for your extension of stay based upon working to retirement without leaving your country. 

You will need to be meet the financial requirements for the extension of stay based upon retirement on the day you apply.

Before the change your current extension based upon working must be canceled at the office that issued it and then you can apply for the extension at the immigration office where you are living.

Not sure about your Thai SS question. As far as I know it will depend upon your age and number of years you have been working. I do know that you can continue your medical coverage by arranging to pay a small monthly fee for it.

UbonJoe,

Thanks for the reply that answers most of my questions.  Sounds fairly simple and straight forward. I will try to go and speak with my immigration office.   Thanks again. ????

14 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

There is an official letter you get from the Labour office when you cancel the W/P. This is reqyuired for the change of Visa. You may need a copy of the company papers as well. They also require the reason for cancellation. Or get the company to do it for you if you are on good terms with them.

Bagwain,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, currently I am on good terms and I will be retiring so I am hoping for a smooth transition.  Thanks again.  ????

I too retired two years ago.

It is necessary to go to the BOI office and cancel the work visa. Not really as simple as it sounds as there were at least three steps to that process. And yes you will need a letter from the company that you worked with, and the company needs to go into the system to cancel the work visa and make an appointment for this with the BOI. 
Fortunately my Thai company rep. Went with me to the BOI office in Bkk to perform these tasks.

Also be aware that once your B visa is cancelled you have limited amount of time (shown on the cancelled stamp) when you have to leave Thailand. So it is best to do the BOI in the morning, and then travel to your immigration office to apply for the extension to a Non O.

I also did a single entry permit the same day at CW, if so needed.

Cheers.

20 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

I too retired two years ago.

It is necessary to go to the BOI office and cancel the work visa. Not really as simple as it sounds as there were at least three steps to that process. And yes you will need a letter from the company that you worked with, and the company needs to go into the system to cancel the work visa and make an appointment for this with the BOI. 
Fortunately my Thai company rep. Went with me to the BOI office in Bkk to perform these tasks.

Also be aware that once your B visa is cancelled you have limited amount of time (shown on the cancelled stamp) when you have to leave Thailand. So it is best to do the BOI in the morning, and then travel to your immigration office to apply for the extension to a Non O.

I also did a single entry permit the same day at CW, if so needed.

Cheers.

PumpkinEater,  Thanks for the info.  I hope it will be simple as long as I am on good terms with my company.  My GM said they will help me with anything as long as it is not illegal, 555.  I work near Ayutthaya and both offices are close and my staff at work have a very good relationship with them.  I will work with them on the requirements and documents beforehand.  So, plan would be to leave office with company staff, stop at bank on the way, get statement, go to BOI and then immigration.  Hopefully, no issues since they will be expecting me.  Immigration and BOI visits have always been very pleasant.  Thanks again for the information.  All information and past experiences is greatly appreciated.