SCB debit cards blocked for international online payment

Thx for the heads-up.

I see in the SCB APP there are 2 options now!

1- Block Domestic Online Payment

2- Block International Online Payment.

Question, there is also the option "Lock Card".

If you lock it in the APP can you also unlock it in the APP?

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I haven't tried. Who is first :biggrin:

Maybe they have something on the website.

For comparison: my German banks VISA credit card can be controlled to the finest detail.

E.g. you can select for which countries (of 202?) you allow transactions.

Blocking/unblocking possible any time incl. complete blocking on/off.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I haven't tried. Who is first :biggrin:

Not me, that's why I asked.

I have Debit Cards (physical and virtual ones) from Wise, and in their app it's called Freeze, and when you click that, the button changes to "Defrost card" which IMHO is a bit clearer then Lock card

wise_defrost.jpg.be3d079f851ba1acd9f37722c0cc3260.jpg

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For comparison: my German banks VISA credit card can be controlled to the finest detail.

Blocking/unblocking possible any time incl. complete blocking on/off.

Select countries? More likely select continents (eg "only Europe + Asia)? And this fine-tuning doesn't apply to online transactions I think, so the credit card can still be abused online in any country (the internet is in no country in particular). All the same, a damned good credit card (alas, soon to be replaced by a debit card).????

I sure want to be able to withdraw money abroad with my Thai credit card in case I get locked out of Thailand for long (or indefinitely, who knows).

Edited by JackGats
spelling

7 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Select countries? More likely select continents (eg "only Europe + Asia)? And this fine-tuning doesn't apply to online transactions I think, so the credit card can still be abused online in any country (the internet is in no country in particular). All the same, a damned good credit card (alas, soon to be replaced by a debit card).????

I sure want to be able to withdraw money abroad with my Thai credit card in case I get locked out of Thailand for long (or indefinitely, who knows).

The block only applies to online payments, not ATM withdrawals.

52 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Select countries? More likely select continents (eg "only Europe + Asia)? And this fine-tuning doesn't apply to online transactions I think, so the credit card can still be abused online in any country (the internet is in no country in particular). All the same, a damned good credit card (alas, soon to be replaced by a debit card).

All wrong.

Usage (at shops, online, contactless) can be locked/unlocked).

Countries to each detail and of course applying to

online payment.

The card will not be abolished. Can decide to pay 2.49 Euro/month it in the future (was free in the past).

1) shop payment

2) contacless payment (swipe?)

3) cash at ATM

4) online payment

Screenshot_20220129-123956_DKB-Banking.jpg.e47afc159f03f631d62a3ce6a35cc78d.jpg

1) temporary total lock

2) go to usage settings

3) goto country selection

4) notifications in the app on/off

Screenshot_20220129-124005_DKB-Banking.jpg

Screenshot_20220129-124026_DKB-Banking.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes for SCB Thailand.

Sorry for diverting to that German VISA card.

Odd, because on my DKB Card Control I can only choose continents, not countries.  (Will things change after the roll out of the Visa debit?).

Note that in my understanding you can block online payments only for all countries at a time. If you don't block online payments FOR ALL COUNTRIES then online payments will still be possible regardless of the country selection.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx for the heads-up.

Someone must try it. It could be a temporary lock or a permanent lock (if card stolen). 

Unlike my DKB Visa and Lufthansa Miles & More MasterCard, I am less inclined to experiment with my Thai card's lock/unlock toggle. Those on my German cards allow one to choose countries, regions, types of payments allowed (online, shops, ATMs). Extremely convenient.

I freeze all my cards and/or reduce all payments to zero. Means I have to remember to unlock or raise limit when I use the cards and then remember to refreeze. Where I need to allow a debit by an accredited body such as HMPO (Passport renewal) I use a credit card on a zero balance so I can use MasterCards dispute resolution. Better safe than sorry. SCB approach is very sensible as most scams involve payment in another country

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rwill said:

At first SCB had locked them for domestic use too.  They changed it after a day or two.

I just opened my SCB App, the first time after months.

Domestic and international online payment was blocked.

Normally I use another card from another bank, this is why I didn't notice anything.

Having had the embarrassment of a Grab Taxi SCB payment decline last week I tried to unpick the puzzle ...don't bother ringing the 'Customer Service' 7777 etc number unless you are blessed with infinite patience....we tried 30+ times....fun it isn't....try reloading the SCB Easy App? Did that but it doesn't show the debit card details to revalidate.....ok I fiddled around on the internet and found an input to 'validate payments' this took a few days to discover and et voila I did it and repaid Grab their THB108....however Spotify has had my monthly subs declined and I'm still working on how to restore international payments....and the real killer is whilst you're attempting to access via the ridiculous 7777etc number the voice message asks you to complete a customer satisfaction survey once you've completed your actions! Hats off SCB ....dreadful service!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mvdf said:

Someone must try it. It could be a temporary lock or a permanent lock (if card stolen). 

<snip>

Someone already did, namely Major Tom to Ground Control ????

2 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Yes you can, i have tried it ????

I only discovered this because my card suddenly stopped working for all online payments. After playing a bit with the app, turning block on and off it now works as normal.

45 minutes ago, Love Over Gold said:

Having had the embarrassment of a Grab Taxi SCB payment decline last week I tried to unpick the puzzle ...don't bother ringing the 'Customer Service' 7777 etc number unless you are blessed with infinite patience....we tried 30+ times....fun it isn't....try reloading the SCB Easy App? Did that but it doesn't show the debit card details to revalidate.....ok I fiddled around on the internet and found an input to 'validate payments' this took a few days to discover and et voila I did it and repaid Grab their THB108....however Spotify has had my monthly subs declined and I'm still working on how to restore international payments....and the real killer is whilst you're attempting to access via the ridiculous 7777etc number the voice message asks you to complete a customer satisfaction survey once you've completed your actions! Hats off SCB ....dreadful service!

Ive got more or less the same experience, after repeated attempts I send my gf to the bank, after that they fixed.

But I was not aware of the changes, and only found out when the bills don't get paid.

I had the same experience this week.   My SCB account is linked to such as Amazon, PayPal, Lazada etc, and I ran into problems a few days ago.   Looked at the App, and sure enough, new on/off choice for international/domestic payments.   Works fine now.

On 1/29/2022 at 5:45 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I think it is Curve which has a setting that limits card usage to the same region as your phone (by having their app installed and allowing it to use GPS). This is pretty clever, although today, I imagine most fraud is via online charges.

For that, I wish they would just all use phone app as second factor authentication. Most already do, but KTB uses text messages, which is less convenient, and it is not 100% consistent. Possible there is some threshold and/or whitelisted partners.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:41 AM, MJCM said:

Thx for the heads-up.

You can, as i block my crweit card and unlock it only when i keed it