Cholesterol Drugs available

RobinV

Been talked about before but dated, and price mentioned was 90 Baht. Might have been a typo.

I'm after EZETROL otherwise marketed as ZETIA. In Australia it's EZETIMIBE.

Tried local Pattaya pharmacies but keep getting runaround, finally found some but 1600 baht now for what I can buy in Australia for 500 Baht. (I get pensioners discount 150 Baht)

So someone is ripping me off.

Can anyone direct me to an honest pharmacy?

• Confused 2

"So someone is ripping me off.

Can anyone direct me to an honest pharmacy?"

A bit quick to accuse being of ripping off when the Op doesn't even know that brand name drugs cost more than local generic equivalents. ☹️ 

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Statins do seem very expensive  here whilst other drugs such as thyroxine seem cheap. Perhaps  explore all the other cholesterol lowering strategies that are available. If you find cheap genuine  stations let us know.

The drug he is asking about is not a statin.  It belongs to a class of lipid lowering drugs called fibrates.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The drug he is asking about is not a statin.  It belongs to a class of lipid lowering drugs called fibrates.

Sorry to be picky, but although ezetimibe of course isn't a statin, it's not a fibrate either: its mechanism of action is different.

It is a cholesterol absorbtion inhibitor that works by targeting a protein  called NPC1L1, which is responsible for active transport of cholesterol into enterocytes from the gut. This in turn reduces cholesterol entering the liver which upregulates LDL receptors and so removes harmful LDL cholesterol from the blood.

It and its related derivatives can be used in combination with fibrates.

Edited by partington
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:21 PM, Chris.B said:

"So someone is ripping me off.

Can anyone direct me to an honest pharmacy?"

A bit quick to accuse being of ripping off when the Op doesn't even know that brand name drugs cost more than local generic equivalents. ☹️ 

Ok, local chemist 990 baht thanks to earlier reply Message online 750

Another online 1000 baht.

These are Exemitribe or variants.

Which cost 500 baht in Australia..

That's the catch, how does profit gouging Australia beat them all.

Very thankful for all of the help from fellow members.

9 hours ago, partington said:

Sorry to be picky, but although ezetimibe of course isn't a statin, it's not a fibrate either: its mechanism of action is different.

It is a cholesterol absorbtion inhibitor that works by targeting a protein  called NPC1L1, which is responsible for active transport of cholesterol into enterocytes from the gut. This in turn reduces cholesterol entering the liver which upregulates LDL receptors and so removes harmful LDL cholesterol from the blood.

It and its related derivatives can be used in combination with fibrates.

I'm going to need a doctor to sort that out. But I know statins are no good for me. The cripple me in fact.

I thank you and all other replies. I have managed to reduce it from 1600 down to 750.

I'm sure I can get it down more with some research.

It just mind blowing that it's 3 times more expensive than in Australia.

4 hours ago, RobinV said:

I'm going to need a doctor to sort that out. But I know statins are no good for me. The cripple me in fact.

I thank you and all other replies. I have managed to reduce it from 1600 down to 750.

Many things cost more here than they do in Australia -- and vice versa.

In the case of drugs, there is an import tariff applied to anything brought in from abroad so that is one  factor.  The size of the local market, and how long a particular drug has been on market and how many competing brands there are, are other factors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:27 PM, theoldgit said:

I purchased the Mibeazc by Siam Pharma last year and it was fairly cheap.

It was out of stock when I tried to purchase in December, so got Ezetimbe Sandoz at 700 Baht for a pack of 30.

Where?? Best I can do is 950 locally

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update this as I just had to buy this med for several family members

https://medisafepharma.com/

Has the Indian brand Ezedoc for 310baht/30 tabs (plus delivery charge)

also has the thai brand Mibeaz for 489baht/30 tabs

They are temporarily out of stock on the Ezedoc (I just bought the last of it) but expect more in soon. The Mibeaz is currently in stock.

You can order online. Have to use Messenger app, although their main website gives you a "add to cart" button nothing happens when you click on that. But by Messenger works fine, quick response. You have option of pre-paid or COD

Other online pharmacies I tried had only the imports

Will add wife just given this medication as alternative to statins (tried several) which caused side effects - so far this medication seems to be OK (and wife is very sensitive to many medications).  So may be an alternative for those that can not take statins.

Price was 35 baht per pill at major hospital for Ezetimibe Sandoz 10mg.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 8:18 AM, RobinV said:

I use an online pharmacy based in Canada for a generic drug that is only available as branded in Thailand.

Had a quick look, they offer 4 versions of a generic Zetia, Canada, UK and 2 from India.

Cheapest is from India @ about 17 baht/tablet followed by Canada @  about 21 baht/tablet.

There would be a 10$ delivery to Thailand and you would need a prescription in English.

Good luck, it's not easy.