USB password / locker

Kenny202

Hi all. Putting some files away on a flash drive for wife if worst comes to worst. Anyone know of a simple....preferably free program I can download to put a password on the drive? Something simple that wont corrupt everything easily. Doesn't necesarily have to have encrytption, just a lock so I can lock access to the flash drive without password

25 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Put the files in a ZIP file with Password

or a bit more sophisticated!

Put a Veracrypt container on it

@KhunBENQ wrote about this here in another unrelated topic

Link: https://veracrypt.eu/en/docs/tutorial/

Yeah I could use a zip file I guess but prefer not too. I had a look at Veracrypt but maybe a little beyond my capabilities. Not really have much understanding of partitioning, containers etc.

If you do not want to zip it---then just a windows folder password----

How to password protect a folder

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you want to password-protect. Right-click on the folder.

Select Properties from the menu. ...

Click the Advanced button, then select Encrypt content to secure data. ...

Double-click the folder to ensure you can access it.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Putting some files away on a flash drive for wife if worst comes to worst. Anyone know of a simple....preferably free program I can download to put a password on the drive? Something simple that wont corrupt everything easily. Doesn't necesarily have to have encrytption, just a lock so I can lock access to the flash drive without password

Been wanting to do this.  Are you giving the flash drive to wife now or leaving it in a Will so she gets it after you pass? 

I cannot trust my ex or son to not access it and take everything while I am alive.  (big surprise coming from a Skallywag) 

Likely I need to see a lawyer and figure out how to leave passwords in a Will

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Been wanting to do this.  Are you giving the flash drive to wife now or leaving it in a Will so she gets it after you pass? 

I cannot trust my ex or son to not access it and take everything while I am alive.  (big surprise coming from a Skallywag) 

Likely I need to see a lawyer and figure out how to leave passwords in a Will

Give her the encrypted USB, and a trusted mate or relative the password. Break in case of emergency. Can give her your passwords to bank accounts, wills, information etc. Your trusted friend relative wont have the Drive so he can't do anything, and your missus has the drive but doesn't have the password. In my case mate in Australia has the password. Seems extreme but have seen a couple of cases blokes gone to hospital or incapacitated and wife had no access to funds etc and big problem at the hospital, even refusing to admit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to consider the circumstances your wife may find herself in should you pass. She's likely to be very stressed. Unless she is highly competent at computer stuff, you would be best off using the most simple method possible to secure your data. Use simple zip encryption to encrypt the files (as other have stated above) which will ensure that she doesn't need any special knowledge or tools to access your data. Give her the USB and walk her through the steps. Maybe even write them down as well. Ensure she can do all the steps by herself. I'd also suggest multiple copies of the USB, or rather, the data on the USB. Keep the USB in a safe. Keep another copy of the zip file in her email or on her computer desktop. Maybe also send a copy to a trusted friend or family member. As for the password, if you don't trust her to remember it (or if you just don't trust her!), you should share it with friends or family members. Don't over complicate things!

2 hours ago, clokwise said:

you should share it with friends or family members.

My biggest problem, my parents and both brothers have past, neither brother had children, only have a distant 3rd cousin that I am not close to...  

Do have a couple of close friends, yet they may pass before I do, but worth a shot

3 hours ago, clokwise said:

You need to consider the circumstances your wife may find herself in should you pass. She's likely to be very stressed. Unless she is highly competent at computer stuff, you would be best off using the most simple method possible to secure your data. Use simple zip encryption to encrypt the files (as other have stated above) which will ensure that she doesn't need any special knowledge or tools to access your data. Give her the USB and walk her through the steps. Maybe even write them down as well. Ensure she can do all the steps by herself. I'd also suggest multiple copies of the USB, or rather, the data on the USB. Keep the USB in a safe. Keep another copy of the zip file in her email or on her computer desktop. Maybe also send a copy to a trusted friend or family member. As for the password, if you don't trust her to remember it (or if you just don't trust her!), you should share it with friends or family members. Don't over complicate things!

You need to consider that everyone else in the world apart from yourself is not a complete idiot and possibly do have the ability to think for themselves....particularly where they have the full story and you are making an awful lot of assumptions based on very little information. Zip encryption is very easy and safe but in this application simply isn't suitable. I'm sorry but your reply appears condescending, sarcastic and demanding, particularly with your constant need to use exclamations !!!!!! 

Thanks to all the other repliers, I think I might have a solution

SanDisk
"Each Cruzer Glide USB Flash Drive is preloaded SanDisk SecureAccess which lets you create a password-protected folder for your sensitive files.2The password protection uses 128-bit AES encryption2, so you'll be able to share your drive without sharing private documents."

5 hours ago, connda said:

SanDisk
"Each Cruzer Glide USB Flash Drive is preloaded SanDisk SecureAccess which lets you create a password-protected folder for your sensitive files.2The password protection uses 128-bit AES encryption2, so you'll be able to share your drive without sharing private documents."

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sandisk-cruzer-glide-cz600-usb-30-32gb-by-banana-it-i114473104-s118558168.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.6e3e76b8H8WzGy&search=1

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You need to consider that everyone else in the world apart from yourself is not a complete idiot and possibly do have the ability to think for themselves....particularly where they have the full story and you are making an awful lot of assumptions based on very little information. Zip encryption is very easy and safe but in this application simply isn't suitable. I'm sorry but your reply appears condescending, sarcastic and demanding, particularly with your constant need to use exclamations !!!!!! 

Thanks to all the other repliers, I think I might have a solution

Hey man, I was not trying to be condescending or sarcastic. I was not making assumptions, merely trying to give you the simplest solution, which in circumstances like yours really is the best. What you want is something which is platform agnostic so that it can be forgotten about but will still be easy to deal with when the time comes. Zip passwords have been around for 30+ years and are super effective at stopping a random passerby from seeing your data, yet simple enough for anyone to open with the correct password.

I'm glad you found a solution you feel comfortable with and best of luck.

6 hours ago, connda said:

SanDisk

Wouldn't touch one of those with a 10' pole. For one thing, just google "sandisk secureaccess hack". Also, it's proprietary hardware which could literally just stop working at any time, for no obvious reason, and you'd have absolutely no way to repair it.

Edited by clokwise