Three dead after trailer becomes detached from 18 wheeler in NE Thailand and hits pick-up

webfact

4pm.jpg

Thai Rath reported on a deadly accident in which a trailer from an 18 wheel truck became detached at a bend and slammed into an oncoming pick-up.

Three people in the pick-up were killed instantly. A woman in the back survived with minor injuries after being thrown clear. A man in the back suffered grievous injuries.

They were taken to Khon Suwan Hospital. 

Chong Sam Mor police in Chaiyaphum attended the scene between KM markers 32 and 33 on Route 2054.

Dead inside a Ford were Chaiyaphum natives Prasong, 62, the driver, Bualong, 86, and Somkhuan, aged 70.

The woman said they had been to see fish and were on their way home. 

The driver of the truck Phaengphol was at the scene waiting to give his version of events. 

The cab of his truck was parked 500 meters away from the scene of the devastation. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

RIP the innocent victims.

The Truck Driver waiting to give 'his version of events' !  His Truck; his responsibility but we know what that means in Thailand don't we ?

These Trailer Trucks are a menace in many ways; a lot of them think they are Max Verstappen or Lewis Hamilton and can just push everyone else out of the way.  Yesterday i was sitting at Traffic Lights (yes i do stop at Red Lights ) when one of these pulled up beside me in the outside lane waiting to turn right.   His rear two axles were parked next to me and when i looked at the Tyres they were all bald or almost bald and there were four different types of Tyres on two axles !   This is just one example of how well these Vehicles are Maintained and how well that Maintenance is checked by anyone of 'Authority' here in the 'Land of Could'nt Care a Less about People's Safety'.  It's just Diabolical !

You mean you want the police to get their asses in gear to check tires? You must be dreaming.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No real checks are done on HGVs here, as someone who used to prepare and take HGVs for their annual test more than 2 decades ago in the UK, I have watched them 'test' here, its abysmal, no load testing of brakes and emergency brake, no pumping brakes to empty air, to see and hear warning gauges and audio buzzers work, or time how long it takes to build air again. NOTHING done to check steering apart from a bit of visual, no one rocking steering from side to side, as with the pedals none, instruments switches, and door hinges for lift, nah zilch. And I haven't even mentioned suspension, and all bolts checked by tapping with a small hammer. Oh did I mention Mechanic is one of those jobs forbidden to Falang. Safe Trusted Thailand my @rse

Maintenance is not in the Thai dictionary it seems .  Only when buying a new vehicle is there maintenance and servicing which is mandatory and of course a money maker .

I've seen quite a few lost semi-trailers in and around Melbourne. The drivers are not taught to tug test.

ie.   engage the fifth wheel, hear the release arm spring shut and, with brakes on the trailer,  jerk the unit/prime mover forward. If not properly engaged you'll lose it there with the legs down.