A Pattayan Goes To Bangkok... For The Day...

Weho

Below is a short travelogue of my day in Bangkok... admittedly, it's personal, only about ME, (my favorite topic)... so if that idea/concept offends you, don't bother reading...

I left Pattaya, by public bus, 95 baht, nonstop to Mo Chit (northern) bus station, cause it's sort of in the direction of the IMPACT center, where I was going to the TRAVEL SHOW. Now I posted a mention of this last week, and I'm certain almost no farangs that saw it actually went to the show, because there were virtually NO FARANGS at the travel show. It was YOUR LOSS... the show was great... very large, free entrance, well organized, Thai dancing, lots of entertainment... I took a taxi from the bus station right to Impact, cost me 112 baht...

I got one of those trolleys, (had to give a 500 baht deposit), and I discovered I was really good at something: pushing quickly through crowds. The travel show was VERY CROWDED, and there were over 30 aisles to see, so the ONLY way I could do it in two hours was to just barrel through people, with my trolley... Now the Thai people have to be the friendliest people on the planet, because I must have ran that trolley over at least two or three hundred feet, often just people wearing "flops"... I made up my mind I could do it in two hours, so I just pushed and bumped into ANYONE and EVERYONE, young and old, (but I did allow someone in a wheelchair to go ahead of me)... that's just the kind of person I am... very giving... but some people, I admit I hit pretty hard, and usually didn't even look back... it was that way, or I wouldn't have seen the show... But people didn't seem to mind, I think in part because I'm such a genuine and sincer person... for Pattaya standards, anyway...

I had "lunch" at Subway sandwiches, cause the McDonald's at the IMPACT didn't have "Happy meals", and subway was a healthier, but more expensive option... the turkey breast (processed meat with nitrates), wasn't too bad.

When I left, I took the Impact center 30 baht shuttle right to the Mo Chit BTS, a great deal... air conditioned, and frequent service. I pushed someone out of my way to get the front seat, which seemed to have the most air conditioning vents that could be controlled by ME, and directed ONLY on ME. Ye who pushes, gets what they want.

I checked into my 3 star hotel, best deal in Bangkok... then I went for dinner at the FIVE STAR hotel nearby that I mentioned in an earlier post, that I won't name, cause I don't want to to ruin the great deal they have... after 6 PM, EVERYTHING in their Pastry/sandwich shop is 1/2 off... I got there right at 6:01 pm... i ordred the salmon platter, and a chef's salad... unlimited bread, really great... the only thing they had left was a single sushi platter.. I figured I better order both of those right away, cause the lobby was crowded, and I knew what was left wouldn't last long...

Sure enough, about 8 minutes later, a French guy shows up and is YELLING "You told me at 6 you have sandwiches and salads, but all you have is sushi..." And the friendly Thai serving lady said, "sir, it's too late...we had, but no more..." I intentionally sat RIGHT NEXT TO THE ORDERING COUNTER, so any late comers would SEE me, that I got not one, but TWO platters...for 1/2 off... I'm sure the guy ended up at the dinner buffet, which would end up costing almost TEN TIMES what I paid for TWO full platters, and unlimited rolls... plus I got the satisfaction of letting this late comer KNOW that he was TOO frickin' late... I love that. Hey, I made an effort to get there at 6:01 PM... he should have too, but he probably wanted to see the first five minutes of the French news, or maybe he had a biological function or something to take care of... anyway, he was TOO LATE... and he PAID for it.

Then off to BTS Ari, cause I wanted to go to the Villa Market there, which was great... I got my decaf coffee, Italian stuff... a big 250g size can...

Then back to my hotel to read through some of the travel brochures I got... some great deals were available at the show only, like 500 baht for an air conditioned Bangkok river dinner cruise buffet, regular price 1,200 baht IF you booked at the show... not bad... hope to go in two weeks with my pre-paid ticket... I also got a roundtrip on Air Asia, 499 baht one way to international destinations (except china) plus taxes... can't beat that... plus almost ever booth had shows specials... Told ya, you should have gone!

Monday morning: I went to the King Power Duty free center, so Rangnam, not far from Victory... they have free Tuk-tuk shuttle service... you can buy products made in thailand and take them with you, the foreign stuff has to be picked up at the airport... it's a quite impressive place... very friendly staff, reasonably prices, for high quality stuff... and they have a wonderful lunch buffet for 400 baht upstairs, really wonderful... worth it... i think they take a loss on the buffet, to get tourists/foreigners in there... then the free tuk tuk back to my hotel to get my luggage... you can also get their free tuk-tuk from Victory BTS, I think 10 am to 8 pm every day... the restaurant also has a dinner buffet, 600 baht, but i didin't see it... they have lots of Thai produces, gourmet food, tourist stuff, crafts, all high quality... lots of that OTOP stuff... and they give you a free plastic beach bag... kind of nice.

Then I got in a taxi to go to Siam Paragon, but I changed to Central Chit Lom, cause the roads were closed, and it was just easier... the taxi driver must have thought he could cheat me... i noticed he didn't start the meter... I figured I would keep my mouth closed... when we got to Central chit Lom, he said "200 baht"... I said, "I know it should be about 60 baht, but you're not even getting that, cause you didn't start the meter... start the meter NOW, and I'll give you 35 baht... if you don't do that, you'll get NOTHING". Of course I got my way, gave him his 35 baht, and i'm sure he's ready to try to cheat others. but he wasn't going to get ME.

The market at Central chit lom is very impressive... lots of foreign produces, but MORE expensive than the Villa Market.

I had lunch in the Food Hall on the 7th floor... I had the chicken milanese from the Grill place... quite good... a bit overpriced, but tasty... I went to order a brownie... and after about 20 seconds i noticed the guy had put my brownie in the MICROWAVE... I said "I didn't tell you to warm it!!", then he says, (under his breath), "you no tell me..." I said, in a loud/strong farang voice: "I no have to tell you, you have to ASK ME... I don't work here, YOU DO... and don't think I didn't hear what you said"... then he hands me the room-temperature brownie... it was good, a little soft though... and it should have walnuts in it to be really good...

Then I went to the Thai Ticketmaster, to try to get tickets for Christina Aguilara (sp.???), but they were sold out of the cheap nose-bleed tickets, and I'm too cheap to get the expensive ones...

Then I took the BTS back to Ekamai, got my TWO seats on the bus, to have one empty next to me... I don't mind sitting next to someone on the way to bangkok, but on the way back, when I'm hot and tired, I'm in no mood to fight over arm space, even though I always win.

Hope you enjoyed this. Maybe if some of you take small trips around Thailand, you can share what you did with others.

Below is a short travelogue of my day in Bangkok... admittedly, it's personal, only about ME, (my favorite topic)... so if that idea/concept offends you, don't bother reading...

I left Pattaya, by public bus, 95 baht, nonstop to Mo Chit (northern) bus station, cause it's sort of in the direction of the IMPACT center, where I was going to the TRAVEL SHOW. Now I posted a mention of this last week, and I'm certain almost no farangs that saw it actually went to the show, because there were virtually NO FARANGS at the travel show. It was YOUR LOSS... the show was great... very large, free entrance, well organized, Thai dancing, lots of entertainment... I took a taxi from the bus station right to Impact, cost me 112 baht...

so we were lucky that the taxi driver had Baht coins for change...otherwise I don't want to imagine what would have happened...

I got one of those trolleys, (had to give a 500 baht deposit), and I discovered I was really good at something: pushing quickly through crowds. The travel show was VERY CROWDED, and there were over 30 aisles to see, so the ONLY way I could do it in two hours was to just barrel through people, with my trolley...
...looks like there were no escalators....so far all is hunky dory...
Now the Thai people have to be the friendliest people on the planet, because I must have ran that trolley over at least two or three hundred feet, often just people wearing "flops"... I made up my mind I could do it in two hours, so I just pushed and bumped into ANYONE and EVERYONE, young and old, (but I did allow someone in a wheelchair to go ahead of me)... that's just the kind of person I am... very giving... but some people, I admit I hit pretty hard, and usually didn't even look back... it was that way, or I wouldn't have seen the show... But people didn't seem to mind, I think in part because I'm such a genuine and sincer person... for Pattaya standards, anyway...

flip-fops....a serious dress-code breech....yep they deserved it!

I had "lunch" at Subway sandwiches, cause the McDonald's at the IMPACT didn't have "Happy meals", and subway was a healthier, but more expensive option... the turkey breast (processed meat with nitrates), wasn't too bad.
did you write a letter to McThai already? No happy meals although you announced your visit on this forum......shame on them!
When I left, I took the Impact center 30 baht shuttle right to the Mo Chit BTS, a great deal... air conditioned, and frequent service. I pushed someone out of my way to get the front seat, which seemed to have the most air conditioning vents that could be controlled by ME, and directed ONLY on ME. Ye who pushes, gets what they want.

right on! You deserved the front seat already for safety reasons as only you can correct driving mistakes by the driver in a 100% correct way.

I checked into my 3 star hotel, best deal in Bangkok... then I went for dinner at the FIVE STAR hotel nearby that I mentioned in an earlier post, that I won't name, cause I don't want to to ruin the great deal they have... after 6 PM, EVERYTHING in their Pastry/sandwich shop is 1/2 off... I got there right at 6:01 pm... i ordred the salmon platter, and a chef's salad... unlimited bread, really great... the only thing they had left was a single sushi platter.. I figured I better order both of those right away, cause the lobby was crowded, and I knew what was left wouldn't last long...

Sure enough, about 8 minutes later, a French guy shows up and is YELLING "You told me at 6 you have sandwiches and salads, but all you have is sushi..." And the friendly Thai serving lady said, "sir, it's too late...we had, but no more..." I intentionally sat RIGHT NEXT TO THE ORDERING COUNTER, so any late comers would SEE me, that I got not one, but TWO platters...for 1/2 off... I'm sure the guy ended up at the dinner buffet, which would end up costing almost TEN TIMES what I paid for TWO full platters, and unlimited rolls... plus I got the satisfaction of letting this late comer KNOW that he was TOO frickin' late... I love that. Hey, I made an effort to get there at 6:01 PM... he should have too, but he probably wanted to see the first five minutes of the French news, or maybe he had a biological function or something to take care of... anyway, he was TOO LATE... and he PAID for it.

you taught that frog a lesson in punctuality that he will never forget! Well done again! You had your own Sedan-day!

As for the rest, I can't be arsed reading.....

I did want to make one addition... there was a posting a while back about the Bookazine sale in the Royal Garden, "up to" 90% off, which starts, I believe on June 13... and goes for, I think ten days...

well, while in Bangkok, I went into a Bookazine, and they had a flyer for a similar sale IN BANGKOK, that just ENDED... so the Bangkokians got FIRST CRACK at all the sale books, and what's leftover, not much, will be on sale in Pattaya... I presume when the Bangkok sale is over, they cart everthing left and try to sell it here... In the future, I will go to the sale IN BANGKOK, BEFORE it reaches Pattaya... I'm quite certain what will be left over for sale in Pattaya will be things like a 1999 Lonely Planet travel guide, tattered, to Slovenia or Namibia...

I'm gonna feel so dirty, so tainted, so used, so, what's the word... so, ugh... so VIOLATED.... violated looking through those books, knowing all the Bangkokians had first crack at the better ones...

Edited by Weho

[As for the rest, I can't be arsed reading.....

You stopped reading just when it got good...

Why don't you write a travelogue for somewhere you went, near or far, recent or long ago, and we'll judge/evaluate your experiences...

And I did give a clear disclaimer at the top, but you still wanted to read at least SOME of it...

I understand it's not of interest to everyone, but hopefully someone, at least one person, will get something out of it...

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to read what you did...

Edited by Weho

Enjoyed your travelogue, but want to point out one serious error:

I pushed someone out of my way to get the front seat, which seemed to have the most air conditioning vents that could be controlled by ME, and directed ONLY on ME. Ye who pushes, gets what they want.

The front seat in a Thai bus is also known as the 'ejection' or 'death' seat. If you wish to live to a ripe old age avoid it like the plague.

Enjoyed your travelogue, but want to point out one serious error:

I pushed someone out of my way to get the front seat, which seemed to have the most air conditioning vents that could be controlled by ME, and directed ONLY on ME. Ye who pushes, gets what they want.

The front seat in a Thai bus is also known as the 'ejection' or 'death' seat. If you wish to live to a ripe old age avoid it like the plague.

It had a seat belt, (waist belt only), which was operable, and I used it... felt quite safe on that bus... I don't think the driver was hopped up on Yaba or anything else... it was sort of a mini bus, that seated 20 people... very convenient...

And to the earlier person who asked what the point of the post was:

1. I trust you read the disclamer

2. it was meant to be a very personal travelogue, clearly not for everyone

3. I hope you found at least something in it of interest, however small.

And may i add that the restaurant at that King Power Downtown Bangkok location has a "special" through the end of July, for Friday dinners:

regulary 1,000 baht for these special friday dinners, on sale to July 31 for 650 baht, net, with King Crab... on sunday, the promotion is for Suckling Pig... I'm am quite certain they take a loss on these dinners, to entice people to shop for expensive stuff... the restaurant there, Ramayana, is absolutely beautiful, and has a free Joe Louis puppet show with all meals... the normal buffet lunch is only 400 baht, net; dinner is 600 baht net. they ask for advance reservations for the special dinners, call 02-205-8888, ext 5701 for reservations... I doubt you'll find a more beautiful or impressive restaurant ANYWHERE... truly amazing...

I know 400 baht is still out of price range for many, it's not my normal lunch price either, but once in a while, enjoy it...

The flyer they gave out at the Travel show, shows a wonderful suckling pig...

if anyone has been, or goes, please post a review.

The flyer they gave out at the Travel show, shows a wonderful suckling pig...

The pictures at Mcdonalds also show wonderful hamburgers,bit different from what they serve.

I like suckling pig... I also like suckling salmon and suckling salad... and I like to suckle... i'll stop there... we want to keep this "G-rated" for families...

I don't think Mcdonald's pictures are misleading... other than they may show a fit and attractive person eating a burger, when the reality is it's usually an overweight, unattractive, bloated creature, on the way to the cardiac ward at the hospital... but the food they show is pretty accurate... not sure why you would suggest otherwise.

And on that subject, has anyone heard anyone refer to McDonald's as "Micky D's"? There is a certain ethnic group over in Ameigay that uses that term... not sure where it came from, but it's absolutly true...

so we were lucky that the taxi driver had Baht coins for change...otherwise I don't want to imagine what would have happened...

I got one of those trolleys, (had to give a 500 baht deposit), and I discovered I was really good at something: pushing quickly through crowds. The travel show was VERY CROWDED, and there were over 30 aisles to see, so the ONLY way I could do it in two hours was to just barrel through people, with my trolley...
Now the Thai people have to be the friendliest people on the planet, because I must have ran that trolley over at least two or three hundred feet, often just people wearing "flops"... I made up my mind I could do it in two hours, so I just pushed and bumped into ANYONE and EVERYONE, young and old, (but I did allow someone in a wheelchair to go ahead of me)... that's just the kind of person I am... very giving... but some people, I admit I hit pretty hard, and usually didn't even look back... it was that way, or I wouldn't have seen the show... But people didn't seem to mind, I think in part because I'm such a genuine and sincer person... for Pattaya standards, anyway...

did you write a letter to McThai already? No happy meals although you announced your visit on this forum......shame on them!

right on! You deserved the front seat already for safety reasons as only you can correct driving mistakes by the driver in a 100% correct way.

you taught that frog a lesson in punctuality that he will never forget! Well done again! You had your own Sedan-day!

The questions are ... 1) do you believe ANY of this .... starting from leaving Pattaya until the conclusion?

and 2) Do you think they have a mandatory 72 or 96 hour mental health hold if he happens to actually BE in Thailand?

The questions are ... 1) do you believe ANY of this .... starting from leaving Pattaya until the conclusion?

and 2) Do you think they have a mandatory 72 or 96 hour mental health hold if he happens to actually BE in Thailand?

Don't ask me why, but your posting triggered another memory of my day... consider this an addition to the original travelogue, (which you were WARNED about, with the disclaimer, yet you still felt you had to comment):

When I entered the market on level one of the Central Chit Lom building, I asked the security guard, "where is bag check", and he answered, "next to Mister Donut"... of course, upon locating "Mister Donut" (not sure why it's "mister", I had no idea donut makers had to have a gender associated with them), there was no sign of any bag check... so I looked further, and finally found it by some cashiers. The people were very friendly there, and accepted my 3 small and medium-sized bags. Then, upon EXITING the market, going back into the department store, I walked right past the security guard who gave me the incorrect information, and I said to him, "you no know where bag check is... maybe you should learn before giving bad information... bag check NOT next to "mister donut"...)... then he did the typical thing, to just LAUGH, like I was doing stand-up comedy for him.

And when I went up to the information counter at the Impact center and asked them where I could get a trolley, their reaction, (3 of them), all at the same time just LAUGHED, as if I were Dane Cook or Sam Kinison or Howard Stern or something... Honestly, I love the Thai people, but I've seen this reaction many times, where if they don't know, or don't understand you, they simply laugh. I don't understand that...

OK, now make your evil comments here:

I took a taxi from the bus station right to Impact, cost me 112 baht...

Never seen a Bangkok taxi fare come up in even number in my life.

Maybe it was 111, or 113... I know I gave the guy 140, so logic would tell me it was AROUND 112 baht... but thanks for paying attention.

Are you disputing that a taxi from Mo Chit to the Impact Center/Muong Thong Thani woudln't cost AROUND 112 baht, pre tip?

And any taxi driver that uses the meter, without hesitation, gets a decent tip from me... when I had them the tip money, which they generally show appreciation for, I always tell them, "go send your kids to college"... and they usually laugh, even though they most likely didn't understand a word I said...

Sometimes, if I am leaving the notorious "PATPONG" area, late at night, taxis will REFUSE to turn on the meter... I always call them a crook, then get out... but sometimes they will say, "ok, i use meter..." but they probably won't get a tip from me. It's sad. I don't reward theft and crookedness, as so many do.

And my motorbike taxi from the Pattaya Bus station to my home gave me a fair price, right from the start, without any negotiation/discussion... he got a 30 baht tip, which I know is a good tip. Especially since he was able to carry some luggage with him too... and he only risked my life about ten times on the 15 minute ride...

You wouldn't ... but you would have to have been here to know that :o

You wouldn't ... but you would have to have been here to know that :o

You're a regular Sherlock Holmes, aren't you!

Hope you enjoyed this.

i have strong doubts that you really exist Weho and my best guess is that you are one of the chaps who are pulling fast ones on others and have a good laugh when you read the comments.

:o

[ Then, upon EXITING the market, going back into the department store, I walked right past the security guard who gave me the incorrect information, and I said to him, "you no know where bag check is... maybe you should learn before giving bad information... bag check NOT next to "mister donut"...)... then he did the typical thing, to just LAUGH, like I was doing stand-up comedy for him.

Maybe he reads your posts.

Hope you enjoyed this.

i have strong doubts that you really exist Weho and my best guess is that you are one of the chaps who are pulling fast ones on others and have a good laugh when you read the comments.

Ya, Dr Naam, but he is good. A pity you all keep him locked in the Pattaya forum.

Weho, I think the taxi fare was too high.

Hope you enjoyed this.

Ya, Dr Naam, but he is good. A pity you all keep him locked in the Pattaya forum.

Sorry to disappoint you, I'm the real deal... "keeping it real"... and believe it or not, I'm considered a very genuine person... that's why people like me.... well, genuine by Pattaya standards that is...

And I think you're doing some comedy there about the taxi fare being "too high"... sorry that it annoys you that I don't allow myself to be cheated by crooks... those that do, are encouraging crooks to cheat OTHERS, perhaps including YOU. It is your duty to NOT tolerate theft, overcharging, crookedness, etc... whether it be for an overpriced and soiled bowl of steamed rice, a crooked taxi driver, or anyone else. Be firm in your tone with crooks, they usually cave in...

I usually tell them, after I've won, something like, "Budda no like..." and they usually laugh...

Gotta admit Weho I enjoy reading your posts whether fact or fiction they are quite entertaining.

I guess I'll take that as a reserved compliment... if it's fiction, I'll let you know... and if you THINK it's fiction, I'm sure you'll let others know.

:o:D

Better negotiate on the meter fare next time!!

Soundman.

Ordinarly, I would have told the taxi dude to TURN THE METER ON right away... but I decided I was going to TEST HIM, just like he was TESTING ME by trying to see if he could take advantage of me. I knew I would be in the right... and quite frankly, he shouldn't have even got the 35 baht I gave him.

So much drama in Bangkok in only a day and a half! And I didn't even write about the, ugh, let's just say "incident" that occurred at one of the booths at the Travel show... oh dear! I'll let you imagine... Let's just say I feel I was in the right.

Maybe it was 111, or 113... I know I gave the guy 140, so logic would tell me it was AROUND 112 baht... but thanks for paying attention.

WEHO....your credibility took a big hit here! After all the rice bowl was only 11 Baht at the Fuji? The escalator had less steps than we all thought? I would appreciate more attention to those details!

WEHO....your credibility took a big hit here! After all the rice bowl was only 11 Baht at the Fuji? The escalator had less steps than we all thought? I would appreciate more attention to those details!

It is the tiny details that aren't available online :o hence missing ....