Divorced while on 1 yr Marriage Extension?

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your extension of stay end on the day your divorce is final. You have to leave or apply for a different type of extension.

But people have been able to stay if nobody notified immigration and your ex wife is the only person likely to it.

But if they (IO) would find out, what would the consequences be?

Edit: A Notice to leave the country within 7 days?

Edited by MJCM

Technically, I guess divorce would void your visa ... only if you told Imm, which I wouldn't bother.  Though if planning on staying, when visa does expire ... plan early.  Money for retirement visa needs to be in bank for 2 or 3 months prior to applying, unless your DD is enough.

If leaving Thailand, nobody will care.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Reckon they'd stamp your visa void ... give you the standard 7 days to pack up & leave.  If not qualifying for different visa.

• Like 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

Reckon they'd stamp your visa void ... give you the standard 7 days to pack up & leave.  If not qualifying for different visa.

I guess so as well, but my question was also because you signed some kind of document at IO when you applied for the Extension, that if the circumstances changed that you have to inform them (NOT sure about the right wording in those documents as I just sign them ????

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Edit: A Notice to leave the country within 7 days?

Leave the country as soon as you find out somebody told them.

If you went to immigration they could fine you for a overstay for every day since your divorce was final. And then after you pay the 500 baht a day fine (max is 20k baht) you could apply for a extension pay the 1900 baht fee an be granted 7 days to leave the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I guess so as well, but my question was also because you signed some kind of document at IO when you applied for the Extension, that if the circumstances changed that you have to inform them (NOT sure about the right wording in those documents as I just sign them ????

It is shown on the STM.2 form you sign.

image.png.ee86da9750f4a181190123068302e2f4.png

image.png.2eeab25afe24dbef2dd8a2d642f9ecf6.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Technically, I guess divorce would void your visa ... only if you told Imm, which I wouldn't bother.  Though if planning on staying, when visa does expire ... plan early.  Money for retirement visa needs to be in bank for 2 or 3 months prior to applying, unless your DD is enough.

If leaving Thailand, nobody will care.

Your post is confusing. You are using the wrong terminology.

If you are on an O visa based on marriage you can stay until your permission to stay expires.

If you are on an extension of stay, issued by immigration, your permission to stay expires the day your divorce is finalised.

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Also the 90 day pulse check, TM47 does require current address and if filled out, and address changed & notices, may be asked 'why ?' ... ????

I haven't filled one out in a few years, as IO prints it off, and staples the 'next report notice' in my passport.

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

There is no standard 7 days to leave the country. If you apply for an extension and it is denied immigration will often/usually give you a 7 day extension rather than zero days. 

As @ubonjoe says your qualifications for your extension finish the day you divorce, some immigration officers, if you ask, may tell you to not do anything until your extension finishes even though your extension is actually void. 

The legal and safest course of action will be to apply for an extension with a different reason on, or shortly before, the divorce day. The practical course will be to have the paperwork ready to apply visit immigration and ask, A contribution to the office tea fund may assist with the advice you get, as may a Blend 285

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DjSilver said:

You can stay until the end of the extension. No matter if ypu divorce. Don't listen to the idiot's thatcare guessing in here.

According to you that is.

Which is incorrect. 

If wife dies you could stay until the end of your permission of stay.

If you divorce then correct answers have been given in thread. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DjSilver said:

You can stay until the end of the extension. No matter if ypu divorce. Don't listen to the idiot's thatcare guessing in here.

You may well even be able to get free accommodation, though not in the Bangkok Hilton in a rather similar situation ????, if someone follows your advice.

• Like 1