Dislike Of Burmese Nationals

November Rain

In answer to your question, the Burmese despise and grievously mistreat the Karens, Mons, Karenni, etc and all the other 50 odd ethnic groups in Burma who are not ethnically Burmese. Systematic rape ring any bells.

This in no way excuses the Thais' behaviour.

The Thai people are proud and nationalist. I love them for that amongst many other reasons. The burmese have nothing to fear from the Thai if they stay in Burma where they belong.

So why do you stay here in Thailand? If you have a right to stay where you want then Burmese have the same rights. :o

In answer to your question, the Burmese despise and grievously mistreat the Karens, Mons, Karenni, etc and all the other 50 odd ethnic groups in Burma who are not ethnically Burmese. Systematic rape ring any bells.

This in no way excuses the Thais' behaviour.

Are you talking about the Burmese Junta?The Thai Junta would never do this... :o

I've encountered a similar attitude from my staff. We had a young Burmese guy come looking for part-time work. We didn't need any extra staff so I told him no, sorry. He was polite and friendly.

After he left my staff told me it was good I hadn't hired him because he was Burmese (I couldn't tell, he spoke Thai quite well). And that they couldnt' be trusted as they all looked shifty.

Blew me away since, frankly, the Southern Burmese we get here look exactly the same as the Southern Thais.

Bloody crazy buggers do they really think on the Thai /Burma (Myanamar) border the people are at all different. Dumb or what!!!

Blew me away since, frankly, the Southern Burmese we get here look exactly the same as the Southern Thais.

'tis only a line on some paper that seperates ...........................................

Yes, and a line often drawn by foriegn colonists without a thought for the local peoples. Same the world over.

So is it all the fault of foreign colonists 'by which I assume you mean Western' that the Thais hate and mistreat the Burmese ?

East Asia has it's own tradition of nations conquering other nations territory and redrawing national border lines that far predates any Western involvement in the area.

'tis only a line on some paper that seperates ...........................................

Yes, and a line often drawn by foriegn colonists without a thought for the local peoples. Same the world over.

So it's all the fault of the English then? :o

..The burmese have nothing to fear from the Thai if they stay in Burma where they belong.

Bigoted unsypathetic (to the reasons why Burmese come to Thailand) comment... and unbelievably ironic if you are non-Thai.

I met a Burmese girl at my local supermarket the other day (in the U.S)

I wondered if my Thai wife had any ill feeling about the Burmese, and asked her.

She had nothing but respect for them, and has since become friends with the woman in the market.

So not all Thais are racist.

I've noticed quite a few Thais also dislike Filipinos. Don't know where this stems from as there is no historical conflicts between the 2 people. In fact they were both pretty much allies against communism in South East Asia.

Maybe it's because Thais are jealous of their perceived musical talents.

I have seen both sides of this but its MUCH different when viewing it as an outsider. On one hand I have seen my Fiance's aunt abuse her young maid and treat her like an animal. On the other hand, I saw the lil illiterate hooker steal money and run away when we took her out of that environment and gave her a job with her sister working together at my soon to be mother in law's house. They treated her great and she shat on them.

I am now of the opinion that look, no one brought these burmese here in chains (much unlike how they stole Thais away in chains several times). Just like us, they knew what they were getting into when they decided to come to Thailand. This is just the natural flow of fate in this area....like a BIG Sum Num Naa for all the shit they caused in centuries before. Pendulum of fate has gotta swing back on someone.

So it's all the fault of the English then? :o

Absolutely....... :D

I have seen both sides of this but its MUCH different when viewing it as an outsider. On one hand I have seen my Fiance's aunt abuse her young maid and treat her like an animal. On the other hand, I saw the lil illiterate hooker steal money and run away when we took her out of that environment and gave her a job with her sister working together at my soon to be mother in law's house. They treated her great and she shat on them.

I am now of the opinion that look, no one brought these burmese here in chains (much unlike how they stole Thais away in chains several times). Just like us, they knew what they were getting into when they decided to come to Thailand. This is just the natural flow of fate in this area....like a BIG Sum Num Naa for all the shit they caused in centuries before. Pendulum of fate has gotta swing back on someone.

you are joking right?

A Burmese reasons for coming into Thailand are hugely different from a westerners. "Deciding" to leave your homeland because you want to, cannot compare to leaving because you feel there is little other option for the fate of yourself and your family.

As for the "pendulum of fate" concept..you really MUST be joking on that one... right?

You mean this incidence, Cpt?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=95911

You'd really think that if banned members wanted to reinvent themselves & come back under another nik, they'd have the brains not to refer to threads they started under the "banned" name, wouldn't you? :o:D

Regarding the original question I posed. Yes, I see there's a lot of emnity, arising, from what I can see, from ancient history. But a lot of countries have a "history" & even (still) an element of dislike or hostility towards each other, but don't most realise that "the past is the past"? Why is this particular hostility so pervasive? Meme mentioned folk songs etc; I guess I don't understand why the feeling (in many - I accept it's not all) Thais is so deep & ingrained.

Well unfortunately the Thai are pretty much the same in regards to Lao citizens also (the bordering areas excepted).

Sad but true.

I'am sure the other year one of the senior thai government figure have to apologise to the Lao government and people over a comment he made regarding Lao people - I can't remember what he said but it wasn't nice!