How Common Is Strep/glandular Fever In Bangkok?

steffi

I seem to be experiencing the symptoms of the above.... can this be due to pollution by any chance?

Throat is red with white spots....

Recently I had a respitory infection from the weather and/or pollution. Still have a bit of a cough...

I was on Avelox and AMK for a couple of weeks and the cough has gotten better but the throat

right is sore and red.

Streptococcal infections are found worldwide. Untreated they can cause serious heart and kidney diseases.

If there are "white spots" as well as persistant redness you may need a throat culture. Pollution and/or allergy can cause redness but not "white spots". Physical examination and blood count can pretty well determine if it is an infection as opposed to allergic condition. (of course, exposure to air pollution and/or allergens will make an infection worse)

• 2 months later...

I seem to be experiencing the symptoms of the above.... can this be due to pollution by any chance?

I know at least 4 people in Bangkok, myself included who have gotten strep in the past few weeks. It starts off as a seemingly minor irritation in the throat and gets progressively worse.

One remedy is a rather strong antibiotic called Zythromax which is the same remedy for NSU and chlamydia. Leads me to wonder if you can get strep from oral sex ......

I know at least 4 people in Bangkok, myself included who have gotten strep in the past few weeks. It starts off as a seemingly minor irritation in the throat and gets progressively worse.

One remedy is a rather strong antibiotic called Zythromax which is the same remedy for NSU and chlamydia. Leads me to wonder if you can get strep from oral sex ......

No but I am sure you can get a STD in the throat from oral sex if not Chlamydia - the same bacteria that causes chlamydia causes different conditions around the body ie one cause of conjunctivitus.

Zythromax is a pretty strong anti-biotic.

Dr gave me Amoxicilin for an ear infection that did not clear it up the other week so I asked a pal at work who is a Dr if I should swallow a pack of Zythro on it - he aid no and gave me Augmentin which is amoxicillin plus another ingredient to make it more effective.

No but I am sure you can get a STD in the throat from oral sex if not Chlamydia - the same bacteria that causes chlamydia causes different conditions around the body ie one cause of conjunctivitus.

Zythromax is a pretty strong anti-biotic.

Dr gave me Amoxicilin for an ear infection that did not clear it up the other week so I asked a pal at work who is a Dr if I should swallow a pack of Zythro on it - he aid no and gave me Augmentin which is amoxicillin plus another ingredient to make it more effective.

Another good illustration of why consulting a health professional may be a good call. Maybe you (or someone) could refer Steffi to this (or another competent) practitioner.

amoxicillin seems to be the main treatment; my 13 yr old gets reoccurring bouts but not enough to warrant tonsil removal or other more extreme remedies... augmentin she gets if the first 10 day amoxi doesnt do the trick...

strep is contagioius, there are several kinds, and some people like me are carriers (always seem to have a small patch of strep a in my throat, non symtomatic, etc)...

doc told us to have daughter change toothbrushes often, gargle with salt water or sage water...

here it is called angina btw, since strep apparently is one cause of heart problems that cause angina... mom used to get heartattack when i told her my daughter had angina...

Back to the original post:

I thought my niggling sore throat was getting better, avoided taking Zithromax or any other anti-biotic, but it seems to have come back again. Quite a few people I know are complaining of very similar symptoms. Are we all just a bit paranoid or is there a particularly high incidence of this going around Bangkok lately? And if so, what is the cause? Pollution or something in the water?