Cheaper in Thailand?

KhaoYai

I have just replaced my stolen HJC helmet.  To save having to carry it from the UK, I looked into buying a helmet in Thailand, I also thought it might be cheaper as most things are - until I looked it up that is.  I decided on a change in helmet type as in Thailand I do very little 'thrashing around' - most of my journeys are sightseeing - nice to have the 'door open' cruising around the mountains, taking in the views.

When they first came out, flip front helmets that sort of converted to a full face when closed didn't appear to offer the same level of protection that a full face helmet would and looked a bit 'Mickey Mouse'. I wouldn't have entertained one then but they have come on a bit in the last few years and one that caught my eye was the Bell SRT Modular.  The design I wanted was the 'Blackout Matt Gloss Black' which is actually grey and black and priced at £249 direct from Bell in the UK. It comes with both clear and smoked Pinlock visors and a carry bag.  I located one in the UK for £200 (9000 baht) from a discounter but decided to check the Thai price out before buying it.

I was shocked to find that the exact same helmet is priced at 19483 baht at a major retailer in Thailand. https://thai.webike.net/en/sd/24014863   Over double the price!!

Its possibly available cheaper on sites like Lazada but there's no way I'm buying a helmet on there. Obviously I bought the UK one.

bell-helmets-srt-modular-blackout-helmet-8405_TS.jpg

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

I bought a Shark City Cruiser 6,500 baht from Shopee, very nice helmet, has more chin protection than standard open face. About the same price as UK. Of course you need to check reviews of seller and product before buying on Lazada\Shopee

Screenshot_2022-02-11-04-09-45-471_com.shopee.th~2.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was shocked to find that the exact same helmet is priced at 19483 baht at a major retailer in Thailand. https://thai.webike.net/en/sd/24014863   Over double the price!!

Which makes sense, if it's not produced in Thailand or a country with preferential customs duty treatment. For such an imported(?) item they would add more than 100% customs duty, which explains the doubling in price.

Actually, by mistake, I bought two products yesterday, exactly the same product and quality, but one was from another ASEAN country, and the other from a European country. For the latter one I paid almost 50% more, but I didn't sweat it, as it was just an extra 140 baht.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Which makes sense, if it's not produced in Thailand or a country with preferential customs duty treatment. For such an imported(?) item they would add more than 100% customs duty, which explains the doubling in price.

No idea what the arrangement is with the USA which is where Bell helmets are made.

• Like 1

Thai WeBike is easily the most expensive site. Their prices for everything are very high.

Everything I look for to fit any of my bikes can be found much cheaper at other distributors selling the exact same thing.

That said I bought my LS2 modular from Canada in the fall, when clearance sales happening due to approaching winter.

Great helmet, excellent ventilation. Only lid I have worn here that does not leave my scalp wet.

glad you got a new lid - hope in time your stolen one turns up.

LS2.jpg

If you want to pay through the nose for helmets brands that sponsor or imported helmet makes because your OCD that's up to you.

You can find perfectly good motorcycle helmets in Thailand there's no need to pay more than 3k to 4k if you shop around for a helmet that fits you comfortabley.

I have found my reasonabley priced helmet a full face H2C. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Theoretically not, but did anybody ever check if your helmet has the sticker? Police doesn't care, as long as you wear a helmet.

A friend of mine did have his helmet checked by a motorcycle copper, apparently after 300 baht exchange hands the helmet was legal ????

I brought a foreign lid into Thailand and I've never been "fined" for it.

If you have a rare and unusual helmet that is not sold in Thailand then I guess you're asking for trouble.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, farangnomore said:

All motorcycle equipment is more expensive in Thailand (even locally made) than in the west.

Is Komine brand expensive? I have used this brand for dirt road riding, and also for my touring occasionally, but prefer Daineese I brought from home.

Edited by Hummin

9 hours ago, farangnomore said:

All motorcycle equipment is more expensive in Thailand (even locally made) than in the west.

I bought a Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster [made in Thailnd in Australia for about 200,000bht cheaper than I could get one in Thailand.I ended up buying a 650 Kawa Vulcan in Thailand [on special]for around the same price  as Australia

7 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Most things in Thailand are cheaper? Most things actually cost more.

That has not been my experience with most bike/car things I've bought so far. I think those who are saying its down to import taxes are correct.

A couple of years back I had a brake master cylinder fitted to a Honda Civic at a Honda main dealer for less than the price of the part alone in the UK - I was going to fit it but when they gave me the price, I let them get on with it.  I also bought a rear wheel bearing/hub unit (quality brand) for a different Civic for half what I could buy it trade in the UK. Clearly those parts were made in Thailand and not subject to import taxes.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:07 PM, KhaoYai said:

That has not been my experience with most bike/car things I've bought so far. I think those who are saying its down to import taxes are correct.

A couple of years back I had a brake master cylinder fitted to a Honda Civic at a Honda main dealer for less than the price of the part alone in the UK - I was going to fit it but when they gave me the price, I let them get on with it.  I also bought a rear wheel bearing/hub unit (quality brand) for a different Civic for half what I could buy it trade in the UK. Clearly those parts were made in Thailand and not subject to import taxes.

Correct, it's mainly the import taxes. Anything made here or in Japan is fairly reasonable as Thailand has a trade agreement with Japan. European stuff is more expensive due to the lack of a proper agreement with the EU. Particularly nice European cars where luxury tax is also involved but also motorcycles such as BMW's, Aprilia etc. 

For example, I wanted an Aprilia RS660 and the price is 699,000 here (16,000 pounds) compared to just over 10,000 pounds in the UK. My 899 Panigale was 749,000 here which is about 17,000 and it was a bit under 15,000 in the UK at the time I bought it. A BMW S1000RR is 920,000 here (21,000 gbp) compared to 15,000 gbp in the UK.

Even Triumph's that are made here are often about 10% more expensive here than in the UK but I think that is to keep the image of the brand as a high end brand (plus a bit of price gouging due to local inflated prices).  

Cost of ownership is lower here though. Servicing, petrol, parts, speeding fines etc. are all cheaper here although insurance is creeping up every year it seems.