Entering Thailand at Suvarnabhumi Airport, then onward to CNX same day: SHA Extra hotel booking question

jayjay2001

I will be flying into Thailand to Suvarnabhumi Airport in March. The same day, I am wanting to fly to Chiang Mai via Air Asia (staying in the airport until a flight to CNX departs).

My questions are:

Is it ok to transit to Chiang Mai the day I arrive in Thailand at BKK (staying in the airport until a flight to CNX departs) and book my SHA extra hotel for day 1 and 5 in Chiang Mai? Or are the regulations as such that I need to book the SHA hotel in Bangkok?

Has anyone done this, that is: 1) entering Thailand at Suvarnabhumi Airport, 2) same day transit to CNX, and 3) booking SHA hotel for day 1 and 5 in Chiang Mai?

(Please note: I understand not staying in BKK for both RT-PCRs may increase risk of infection between test #1 and test #2.)

Thanks.

I'm definitely no expert on Thailand travel logistics. Perhaps someone else has more reliable info. But best I can tell there are two issues:

The only way you are allowed to transfer at BKK is if your domestic flight is booked on the same ticket as your int'l flight. So unless you are also flying into BKK on AirAsia, I suspect you'll encounter this issue since AirAsia doesn't codeshare with other airlines.

But also, you are supposedly only allowed transit to Samui and Phuket via BKK at this time. Other destinations will require a one-day stay in BKK.

I sure wish and hope this is incorrect, I'm also headed back to BKK in March and as it's massively inconvenient for me as well.

Edited by clokwise
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, clokwise said:

I'm definitely no expert on Thailand travel logistics. Perhaps someone else has more reliable info. But best I can tell there are two issues:

The only way you are allowed to transfer at BKK is if your domestic flight is booked on the same ticket as your int'l flight. So unless you are also flying into BKK on AirAsia, I suspect you'll encounter this issue since AirAsia doesn't codeshare with other airlines.

But also, you are supposedly only allowed transit to Samui and Phuket via BKK at this time. Other destinations will require a one-day stay in BKK.

I sure wish and hope this is incorrect, I'm also headed back to BKK in March and as it's massively inconvenient for me as well.

Thanks, clokwise.  I appreciate the response.  I think you are correct.  Thanks again.

1 hour ago, jayjay2001 said:

Is it ok to transit to Chiang Mai the day I arrive in Thailand at BKK (staying in the airport until a flight to CNX departs) and book my SHA extra hotel for day 1 and 5 in Chiang Mai?

No.

Or are the regulations as such that I need to

book the SHA hotel in Bangkok?

Yes.

You have to book one night at an SHA++ hotel in Bangkok.

The first RT-PCT test sample is taken at arrival airport.

You will then be transported to the SHA++ hotel.

You have to wait for the test result.

You will not be allowed to transit to a normal domestic flight before negative test result is confirmed.

"normal domestic": only exception I know about are Phuket and Samui where Bangkok Air offers sealed transport (flight restricted to incoming test&go passengers) with a separated transit path (not through the masses I guess).

As far as I know there is also a special rule for Pattaya (?). Prearranged limousine transport to SHA++ in Pattaya.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No.

Yes.

You have to book one night at an SHA++ hotel in Bangkok.

The first RT-PCT test is done at arrival airport.

You will then be transported to the SHA++ hotel.

You have to wait for the test result.

You will not be allowed to transit to a normal domestic flight before negative test result is confirmed.

"normal domestic": only exception I know about are Phuket and Samui where Bangkok Air offers sealed transport (flight restricted to incoming test&go passengers).

Thanks, KhunBENQ.  I was thinking that was also a possibility (only 1 night in BKK and then ok to go to CNX).  What you wrote makes a lot of sense and clarifies/confirms things.  Thanks so much.  I appreciate it.

• Like 1

there are some bangkok hotels offering 2h test results for an additional 2k.

If you arrive morning you have a chance for evening flight.

Hotel doesn't to be very close to airport. There is not one at airport itself.

You can get to airport by taxi within max 1h.

Personally I would not book in advance this flight.

You have chance being tested positive, up to 5% chance 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jayjay2001 said:

only 1 night in BKK and then ok to go to CN

That's the intended way to do.

For the second test (day 5) you need to book one night at an Chiang Mai SHA++ hotel.

Don't hold me responsible for this:

https://www.shathailand.com/list/chiang-mai/

Always best to book directly with the hotel.