Teaching Waiver Question.

thaitom

16 hours ago, thaitom said:

Could anyone say for certain if there is an upper age restriction on issuing a teaching waiver (permit) for working at a Government School ?

There is no limitation of age to obtain a provisional teaching permit. However, the government rule is that Thai teachers retire at the age of 60 and some government schools apply this rule to their foreign teachers.

39 minutes ago, aidenai said:

There is no limitation of age to obtain a provisional teaching permit. However, the government rule is that Thai teachers retire at the age of 60 and some government schools apply this rule to their foreign teachers.

Yes, that is also what I have read. I gave all the authenticated, legalized documents to the HR dept. of the School when I was 59, But they didn't apply until after I became 60 last month,  I was denied a teaching permit.

@thaitom

I'm confused. On another thread you wrote this,      "Applied for a teacher's waiver and was denied, so no work permit.  Reason for denial given … the school is non-accredited, meaning it is not on their list.   From what I have read, Thailand uses the world almanac for US schools.  I have been teaching for close to 17 years in Asia, and this was the first time I thought I would give Thailand a try.  I have worked in Taiwan, South Korea and China, never had a problem like this before."

Were you denied because of age or because your degree was rejected?

4 minutes ago, aidenai said:

How many provisional teaching permits have you used until now, thaitom?

None, This is the  first time applying for a job in Thailand. I was unable to get another job in China because I was getting near the age of 60, so I thought I would give Thailand a try, I turned 60 in Jan. and The HR office applied in Feb. I am just inquiring if anyone else has had a similar experience.

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

@thaitom

I'm confused. On another thread you wrote this,      "Applied for a teacher's waiver and was denied, so no work permit.  Reason for denial given … the school is non-accredited, meaning it is not on their list.   From what I have read, Thailand uses the world almanac for US schools.  I have been teaching for close to 17 years in Asia, and this was the first time I thought I would give Thailand a try.  I have worked in Taiwan, South Korea and China, never had a problem like this before."

Were you denied because of age or because your degree was rejected?

I will find out this next week , I will ask specific questions as to why my rejection. I do want answers,

I will post back here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thaitom said:

I will find out this next week , I will ask specific questions as to why my rejection. I do want answers,

I will post back here.

My colleague told me today that he obtained his provisional teaching permit in March 2021 at the age of 61.

Edited by aidenai