Avocado seedlings - where to plant - Bangkok area

Crossy

Madam has been given a couple of avocado seedlings, of course she's asked me where to plant them.

We can do anything from full sun to "nothing seems to grow here" shade under our larger trees.

Any and all advice welcomed ???? 

For what it's worth: missus planted 1 or 2 avocado trees in a shaded corner of the garden close to a drain, which never goes dry. That corner usually feels cool and slightly moist most of the time. It gets full sun in the afternoon though. 

I am amazed at just how much this tree has grown in the last few years! It gets zero attention and no fertilizer. Occasionally some mulching (dead weeds and leaves), but that's it. If my memory serves me correctly, it's about 5-7 years old, grown from seed and I think it's a Haas avocado. By the way, we're in Korat. It has been planted on flat land. 

I planted a variety of young avocado trees (grafted) on the same land, at the same time, but out in the full sun (absolutely no shade) and away from the drain as I had read that avos don't like to have wet feet. All dead within a year. I think the main problem was the lack of shade and unreliable (read "lazy") staff who had been assigned the task of watering them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

I don't think that seedlings from avocado will be worth it; trees you buy are usually grafted.

Yeah, I may have used the wrong term, I understand these are commercially grown "small trees".

I'll have to have a look if they have been grafted. They are currently about 18" high and still in the pots they came in.

We have 2 varieties of avocado in the ground. Booth7 and one we bought as Guatemala both big trees now.

both flowered last year but dropped most fruit, this year lots more flowers and looks like they may hold fruit this year.

trees are 4 years now but for first year we grew them in baskets/pots of a good size as we do with most trees we grow here. For us this way you don’t get so many dead young trees and can concentrate on growing a nice strong little tree ready to plant.2F1F9EB2-82CE-4FED-8C12-5D88D46265F0.thumb.jpeg.ba4f306a6a64e6691f0bf2a52a0476d8.jpeg2149C6C3-1492-4C41-AC55-9748281338EF.thumb.jpeg.3e7108b6ab76831f15fc2f7ae9ba85a1.jpeg5C02F9D5-78F5-483E-AACA-77122AB7454D.thumb.jpeg.2a70d8b93ec842e736b3e8e4c53214a0.jpeg

• Like 1