Settling Into A Thai Village

Swelters

My (Thai) wife and I have an opportunity to acquire some nice land in an Isan village where we have some longtime background and connection (though not her village, she is not Isan). We are interested in sustainable building, King's project ideas, cultural preservation, small project microfinance, and especially doing some educational projects with the local kids. I've seen a lot of interesting stuff scattered through Thaivisa related to this, but my question is whether there is a forum of folks with this interest or experience that would be helpful in overall planning. For example, one thought that has occurred to me is that it might be better to set up a "foundation" and channel any small local contributions through that rather than be seen as rich city folk who are giving stuff away with attendant problems that are likely to follow. But this is only one of dozens of questions.

Thanks in advance for any links or suggestions on resources (either Thai or international).

Swelters

Because you are going to keep yourself occupied, my friend, you probably have a greater chance of living

in primitive surroundings than those who simply sit and drink Whisky until they go balmy!

I wish you well. Keep us posted would you ?

swelter, were u the one that had asked about a riding school for problem or handicap (dont remember) children, and mud houses???

if not, there is someone else here somewhree that was interested. if that was u, well, deja vu....

if u have a good project, in five or so years time, and need someone to be involved (not financially as we are dirt poor) with good hands, experience etc, then (thai) husband and i are interested........:o))

try the farming/issan forums... the problem is your subject title is misleading as there are similar threads to this one ... u might want to rephrase a thread with your specific ideas in mind as there are many people that might have suggestions for u then. there are several families doing things that may be similar... cant remember who??

bina

That's a lot of different things you're planning there.

* Building something: Sure, there's the usual hassles but eventually everyone manages to build more or less what they intended.

* Education: Sure, a bunch of computers, some English lessons.. All very well. Well, there's the work permit issue that you would need when you work yourself even if it's voluntary. As long as you're not competing with established (private) schools and institutions then you most likely can get away with it, though no guarantees. You mention 'foundation' but setting up a foundation legally amounts to the very same issues as setting up a company. Very few people doing charity/NGO work are actually properly registered as NGO's meaning most need to keep a low profile.

* Micro credit: Whoa. Now this is seriously something to stay away from. Keep in mind that while 'micro-credit' is a very fashionable concept, what it amounts to is competing with the local loan-shark. You don't want that. :o This is all major hassle, absolutely not worth it.

And finally, consider if you want to be that involved in the same village you actually live in. I wouldn't do that either.

That's a lot of different things you're planning there.

* Building something: Sure, there's the usual hassles but eventually everyone manages to build more or less what they intended.

* Education: Sure, a bunch of computers, some English lessons.. All very well. Well, there's the work permit issue that you would need when you work yourself even if it's voluntary. As long as you're not competing with established (private) schools and institutions then you most likely can get away with it, though no guarantees. You mention 'foundation' but setting up a foundation legally amounts to the very same issues as setting up a company. Very few people doing charity/NGO work are actually properly registered as NGO's meaning most need to keep a low profile.

* Micro credit: Whoa. Now this is seriously something to stay away from. Keep in mind that while 'micro-credit' is a very fashionable concept, what it amounts to is competing with the local loan-shark. You don't want that. :o This is all major hassle, absolutely not worth it.

And finally, consider if you want to be that involved in the same village you actually live in. I wouldn't do that either.

An excellent checklist of potential problems, especially at the conceptual stage, thanks. Good reason to keep my fahlang presence/participation pretty much out of sight, and not to create any entity that has any official appearance. I think there was a Montessori school started in Trang that suddenly disappeared after a visit from "education officials" and all internet discussion of the event suppressed after a demand by "teachers", maybe an example of what you are saying.

My (Thai) wife and I have an opportunity to acquire some nice land in an Isan village where we have some longtime background and connection (though not her village, she is not Isan). We are interested in sustainable building, King's project ideas, cultural preservation, small project microfinance, and especially doing some educational projects with the local kids. I've seen a lot of interesting stuff scattered through Thaivisa related to this, but my question is whether there is a forum of folks with this interest or experience that would be helpful in overall planning. For example, one thought that has occurred to me is that it might be better to set up a "foundation" and channel any small local contributions through that rather than be seen as rich city folk who are giving stuff away with attendant problems that are likely to follow. But this is only one of dozens of questions.

Thanks in advance for any links or suggestions on resources (either Thai or international).

Swelters

Swelters

An honourable and noble intention.

My advice: spend a couple years settling into the community - a change of mind regards your long term intentions ( i.e. settling in - and if that does change it is more likely to do so within the first couple years or so, than it is later) coupled with a half completed social project, could turn out to be more of a letdown to the locals than a contribution.

Establish yourself first, and establish solid relationships with those in your community, based on who you are more so than what they feel you have to offer them - then by all means -go for it.

Good Luck

MF

Swelters

All nice intentions.

Realize though that villages are places with their own hierarchies and groups of vested interests that do not want an established status quo disturbed. All of your intentions will be in conflict with one or the other group, and without family bonds there you will have no real support in case of conflict. Villages are all ordered along clan and family politics, and both you and your wife are outsiders.

And you will be seen as rich folk, nothing you can do about it.

Maizefarmer made a correct suggestion - settle in there for a few years before your start anything.

• 2 months later...

Lofty goals and honorable objectives, all I can offer are some resources to sustainable building. Sustainable buildings are not cheap, but depending on your location can pay for them selves over time. Keep us posted on developments with ur Building project. We are looking forward to move back to Thailand upon retirement and would like to do the same sort of building.

Good luck on the rest.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2006/10/07/bangkok-bio-solar-house/

Department of Alternative Energy Development and Efficiency (DEDE). Thailand

http://www.usgbc.org/

cool house thai blog ?? something like that