Renewing UK Passport with Non O on retirement extensions

Hi

I've searched through the forums but cant find this out.

I will be back in UK and was going to renew my passport. I had a Non O from 8 years ago, and have done retirement extensions since.

When I get the new passport they will return my old one cancelled. Has anyone come back on the new one showing them the visa/extension in the old  and if so what happened? I can imagine they just give you 30 days and you hopefully can sort it out at immigration saving your previous visa. (I'm not even going down the TP application road yet, with coming back in on passport with a different number to all the other <deleted> we have now)

If anyone knows the procedure or has experienced this. It would be a great help.

Thanks

I also did this recently at CW immigration. Please note that apart from the required cometed form and passport photocopies required, I also had to show original bank book and statement from bank showing that money had not dipped below threshold from the date of my last visa extension. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:44 PM, samui99 said:

Thanks Joe

Thats what I was hoping

Cheers

Just bear in mind that, as part of the stamps transfer process, your local immigration office may require you to have obtained a misleadingly-titled "visa transfer letter" from the British Embassy in Bangkok:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-after-renewing-your-british-passport

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Just bear in mind that, as part of the stamps transfer process, your local immigration office may require you to have obtained a misleadingly-titled "visa transfer letter" from the British Embassy in Bangkok:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#transferring-your-thai-visa-after-renewing-your-british-passport

Know doubt that will cost,but no letter submitted or requested last time

17 minutes ago, OJAS said:

After entering the country with a new passport that is not required to do a stamp transfer at immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

It's only required for new passports issued to applicants in Thailand. Provincial offices don't have the knowledge, forgery detection skills or equipment to know whether a new passport is genuine or not, hence the Embassy letter, but passports which have been inspected, scanned and stamped at the border are accepted as genuine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After entering the country with a new passport that is not required to do a stamp transfer at immigration.

6 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It's only required for new passports issued to applicants in Thailand. Provincial offices don't have the knowledge, forgery detection skills or equipment to know whether a new passport is genuine or not, hence the Embassy letter, but passports which have been inspected, scanned and stamped at the border are accepted as genuine.

Even so, better for the OP to be safe than sorry, I think, in case he has the misfortune to encounter a rogue officer who might insist on the letter regardless.

Edited by OJAS

On 2/17/2022 at 9:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

I've just applied for an Irish passport from the embassy in bangkok, the staff were not sure if I would  need the letter for imigration as they said usually you need it to change over visas ,as I entered with a visa exempt stamp and am now on covid extensions they said I may not need it, what are your thoughts about this situation please. I don't want to pay for the letter if not needed. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I've just applied for an Irish passport from the embassy in bangkok, the staff were not sure if I would  need the letter for imigration as they said usually you need it to change over visas ,as I entered with a visa exempt stamp and am now on covid extensions they said I may not need it, what are your thoughts about this situation please. I don't want to pay for the letter if not needed. Thank you. 

If you have a new passport that was issued here and have stamps to transfer you need the letter from the embassy unless you want to carry both passports all the time.

If you only have a entry stamp from after entering visa exempt immigration would transfer that stamp to your new passport.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

If you have a new passport that was issued here and have stamps to transfer you need the letter from the embassy unless you want to carry both passports all the time.

If you only have a entry stamp from after entering visa exempt immigration would transfer that stamp to your new passport.

OK thank you, I don't want to pay for the letter if not needed  but so be it, thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Daithi85 said:

OK thank you, I don't want to pay for the letter if not needed  but so be it, thanks again. 

I don't know about Irish procedures and charges, but there is no "extra" charge for the letter from the British Embassy - quite right too, as the charges for a new UK passport are high enough already.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't know about Irish procedures and charges, but there is no "extra" charge for the letter from the British Embassy - quite right too, as the charges for a new UK passport are high enough already.

The letter from the Irish embassy is 1600 baht.a little bit pricey for a letter to say you want to change passports. 

5 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I doubt the British Embassy would provide a letter free of charge when it's not required!