UK citizen

sambum

Can anyone tell me of any UK banks that will let a UK citizen who is not resident in the UK have a Current and Deposit account.

I have accounts with 2 banks in the UK, and because in now live in Thailand, and therefore not resident in the UK, I can not legally hold a  bank account with them.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Your statement is not correct.

You are legally allowed to maintain an account for as long as your bank permits it. Even changing to an overseas address is unlikely to trigger a thought process that finishes up with your account being closed. The fact that you are aware of the risk of this happening is good.

No UK bank will allow a non-resident to open an account. Wise (formerly Transferwise) will..........................that would be a sensible back up to your existing arrangements.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Your statement is not correct.

You are legally allowed to maintain an account for as long as your bank permits it. Even changing to an overseas address is unlikely to trigger a thought process that finishes up with your account being closed. The fact that you are aware of the risk of this happening is good.

No UK bank will allow a non-resident to open an account. Wise (formerly Transferwise) will..........................that would be a sensible back up to your existing arrangements.

Thank you for your reply, and I have friends who use (Transfer)Wise to transfer funds from the UK to Thailand , and recommend them strongly. I will check them out,

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

NOT Thailand related subject.

MOVED to home country UK

I disagree - I am living in Thailand and have been told that as I am a resident of Thailand, and no longer a resident in the UK I can not hold a UK bank account - so it is Thailand related. However, if you have moved my post, how do I access replies to it?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Whale said:

1) make sure the account does not go dormant (no credits or debits for an extended period) and no one will know.

2) you could ask your bank (or another bank) about an offshore account (i.e. Jersey or IOM)

Thank you Whale - I have been with one particular bank since I left school (More than 50 years ago) and although I have 2 accounts with them that were both a couple of thousand pounds in credit, (and was a householder at the time) I was refused a 5000 pounds loan because I was not a UK resident, but they did not say anything about my current accounts not being acceptable for that reason! 

9 minutes ago, sambum said:

Thank you Whale - I have been with one particular bank since I left school (More than 50 years ago) and although I have 2 accounts with them that were both a couple of thousand pounds in credit, (and was a householder at the time) I was refused a 5000 pounds loan because I was not a UK resident, but they did not say anything about my current accounts not being acceptable for that reason! 

If you have been with the bank a long time like I have while living in UK and then move to Thailand and money is still going into the UK bank account some UK banks will let you continue with your Thailand address. 

My on-line bank sends my credit card & debit card sent to my Thai address and correspondence.

If you have not been a customer of theirs in UK they will not open an account with you outside of UK. 

• Like 2

I have a UK bank account with Nat West.  I am a UK citizen etc..  They know I am here.  A small pension is paid into my account and I use that account from time to time.  I have an online service with them.  I think they sent a Debit card to me here and also a card reader.  I registered my Thai address with them and also my Thai telephone too.  When I need a confirmation they do it by my Thai phone but occasionally I have to use the card reader and card process.  I am retired and they know that too so I don't know if that makes any difference.  I never ask for loans and am very careful about my passwords as some things require a person to show up at the bank in person and sign.  Hope this helps

48 minutes ago, notrub said:

I have a UK bank account with Nat West.  I am a UK citizen etc..  They know I am here.  A small pension is paid into my account and I use that account from time to time.  I have an online service with them.  I think they sent a Debit card to me here and also a card reader.  I registered my Thai address with them and also my Thai telephone too.  When I need a confirmation they do it by my Thai phone but occasionally I have to use the card reader and card process.  I am retired and they know that too so I don't know if that makes any difference.  I never ask for loans and am very careful about my passwords as some things require a person to show up at the bank in person and sign.  Hope this helps

They won't give you a loan unless you spend time in UK. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notrub said:

Thank you for the info!

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you have been with the bank a long time like I have while living in UK and then move to Thailand and money is still going into the UK bank account some UK banks will let you continue with your Thailand address. 

My on-line bank sends my credit card & debit card sent to my Thai address and correspondence.

If you have not been a customer of theirs in UK they will not open an account with you outside of UK. 

Thank you for the info!

17 hours ago, notrub said:

My point exactly.

You are under the radar and they (at the moment) have no strategy to close accounts of non-residents.

You will recognise the inconsistency of, on the one hand, refusing to open new accounts for non-residents whilst continuing to maintain accounts for those who become non-resident.

That, arguably, flags a potential future risk because they may eventually wake up to that inconsistency.

Having a plan B (like Wise) makes sense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Get yourself an on line account - Use an address within the UK - Friends or family - I would like to recommend STARLING - Won many banking awards over the past few years. Easy to set up & can apply on line.