Visa + extension timing issues

I'm currently on a 1 year non o extension based on marriage that expires end of March. I have a flight going back to the US in early April. I will stay there at least 2 months.

My plan is to request a COVID extension at the end of March. It will be denied since I last entered Thailand as non o, but I will get the 7 days I need to tide me over until my flight. Any issues with that plan?

The real question is how to get back and extend for 1 year as fast as possible. For unimportant reasons I have a narrow window in which I need to apply for my 1 year extension. If I get a non o visa from a Thai consulate in the US, will I be able to immediately apply for the 1 year extension once I arrive in Thailand? Or will I need to wait out 60 of the 90 days given on arrival before applying? Can I shorten this wait time by entering on a tourist exemption stamp and immediately converting to a non o within Thailand? As far as I recall, once converted I will only need to  wait 30 days before I can apply for the 1 year extension, but I might be misremembering.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Have you used your 60 day "extension to visit wife"

Yes, unfortunately. That's why I'm resorting to the denied covid extension tactic to buy a few days until my flight.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you here now and prepared (financial proof and etc) to apply for your extension now?

I'm here now, but unable to apply due to an emergency that led to having insufficient funds in the Thai bank. I will be able to top up back to 400k after a month in the US.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Which office will you be applying at?

Huahin most likely.

11 hours ago, araiwaja said:

I'm here now, but unable to apply due to an emergency that led to having insufficient funds in the Thai bank. I will be able to top up back to 400k after a month in the US.

You can complete a TM7 form to apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country to avoid a overstay and paying a 500 baht a day for it,

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can complete a TM7 form to apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country to avoid a overstay and paying a 500 baht a day for it,

Yes, I'm aware. That's why I said this in my OP:

13 hours ago, araiwaja said:

My plan is to request a COVID extension at the end of March. It will be denied since I last entered Thailand as non o, but I will get the 7 days I need to tide me over until my flight.

However, that wasn't my main concern in opening this thread. Please reread the part right after it, I'd really appreciate your insight on how to obtain the one year extension as soon as possible when I arrive back in Thailand:

13 hours ago, araiwaja said:

For unimportant reasons I have a narrow window in which I need to apply for my 1 year extension. If I get a non o visa from a Thai consulate in the US, will I be able to immediately apply for the 1 year extension once I arrive in Thailand? Or will I need to wait out 60 of the 90 days given on arrival before applying? Can I shorten this wait time by entering on a tourist exemption stamp and immediately converting to a non o within Thailand? As far as I recall, once converted I will only need to  wait 30 days before I can apply for the 1 year extension, but I might be misremembering.

34 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

For unimportant reasons I have a narrow window in which I need to apply for my 1 year extension. If I get a non o visa from a Thai consulate in the US, will I be able to immediately apply for the 1 year extension once I arrive in Thailand? Or will I need to wait out 60 of the 90 days given on arrival before applying? Can I shorten this wait time by entering on a tourist exemption stamp and immediately converting to a non o within Thailand? As far as I recall, once converted I will only need to  wait 30 days before I can apply for the 1 year extension, but I might be misremembering.

I was replying to on the assumption you had the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

Either way you obtain the non-o visa you will still be on a 90 day stay. If you applied for it here the the 90 days would start from the day you apply for it after is approved. The one from a embassy would start from the day you arrive.

If you got the non-o visa before entering the country you could possibley apply for the extension earlier than the 30 or 45 days the normally require by showing them a ticket out of the country.

You also need to know when they start the 30 day under consideration period. I think Hua Hin starts the 30 days from the day you apply.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you got the non-o visa before entering the country you could possibley apply for the extension earlier than the 30 or 45 days the normally require by showing them a ticket out of the country.

Oh interesting! So sounds like that is the only option to shorten the 60 days wait before applying. The word "possibly" in there is a bit alarming though... Is this a rule that some offices follow and some don't? Or is it not even a written rule and requires the grace of an officer? Would love more details on this option.

14 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

Oh interesting! So sounds like that is the only option to shorten the 60 days wait before applying. The word "possibly" in there is a bit alarming though... Is this a rule that some offices follow and some don't? Or is it not even a written rule and requires the grace of an officer? Would love more details on this option.

You need ask Hua Hin immigration when you go to get the 7 day extension and explain your situation. Take you wife with you to help you get the info you need.

If you are applying for the non-o visa in the US you should ask about getting a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the day it issued. I can recall reports of the Thai embassy and official consulates issuing them.