Oh Buddha! Now monks have set up their own booze den

webfact

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe it's time to ask why monks are monks in Thailand.

How many of them want to learn and live a humble life?

I think zero is the answer. Just like most state sponsered organisations here it is just nothing but a lucrative scam..

I'm pretty surprised about this.  But not too.  I've actually spent my time as a monk at 4 temples.  Three of them, the abbot knew where we were pretty much all the time.  I stayed at a 4th temple on the West bank of the Chao Pryha river in Bangkok and the abbot there didn't seem to know anything about anyone. But in the smaller temples outside the larger cities, the abbots keep in touch with their monks.  Every temple has their problem monks.  But to have 3 or 4 monks, off the temple grounds, hanging in some hut getting drunk, sounds like to me a abbot problem also.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dirty unkempt Monks who litter like most Thai's, no wonder they need parishioners to clean up the Wat as they are too lazy to pick up after themselves and are drunk most of the day.  So much for the donations being used for good they are used to buy booze.  Why not just put a Kegerator in the Wat and make it look like a giant M-150 can.....

M-150 Energy Drink - M 150 - 640x640 PNG Download - PNGkitCorona Keg - 88 pints - Keg Man 

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 2/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, asiaexpat said:

Thailand's Monastic society has lost its purpose and become nothing but a place for debtors, criminals and lowlifes to get free food and housing. As a Buddhist, I am appalled at the conduct.

Not in our forest temple, but suppose you've never been to Isaan.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Why was only one of them defrocked?  I have to wonder if the Buddhist religion is

so corrupt that 3 were only transferred. Sounds more like the RTP getting transferred instead

of fired as well. TIT.

Moved to inactive posts where they can handle the money directly...

Edited by ThailandRyan

54 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Why was only one of them defrocked?  I have to wonder if the Buddhist religion is

so corrupt that 3 were only transferred. Sounds more like the RTP getting transferred instead

of fired as well. TIT.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:00 AM, webfact said:

The abbot Phra Kru Monkholkitrajak ordered action and four were taken for a swift defrocking.

Three others were sent back to another temple. 

I presume the three who were 'sent back to another temple' can only be defrocked by their own abbot. (if he so chooses to)

• Like 1