Enforcement Of 90-day Reporting

Here is a new slant for all you experts, I hope you can answer?

I am on a non O 1 year extention, with a multiple re entry. I work in Laos so I travel in and out every month, stay approx 2 weeks in Thailand on break.

So my question is am I required to report every 90 days? it will obviously be difficult to be on the date. maybe I am out or maybe in Thailand, look forward to any replies :o

When you enter Thailand, your new TM card is your required registration. It asks you to list your address in Thailand. No need to register at immigation if you are re-entering Thailand every 90 days, or less.

By the way, you can also register at your local police station if you don't want to go to immigration.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they ask respectable expats for this crap ?  Why does'nt anyone tell them how ridiculous it is ?

Is there any valid reason for the Thai government to be this bullish ?

W@anker!
How do they expect everyone to hear about this new change, not every expat in Thailand will be aware of this new rule and will probably fall foul of it.

That is for as long as they want to enforce it, which will probably not be long going on past experiences.

They must sit for hours taxing their tiny minds on how to extort an extra baht from the poor expat.

Why dont they get in touch with all the Thais that have left Thailand, ask them how they get treated in their new country.

Almost all of them will say better than you are treating the poor farang over there, we can do almost anything, and definitely much more than the expat can do in Thailand, and it costs us nowt either, and we can live without the fear you impose on visitors to Thailand.

W@anker!
This rule is poorly enforced.. and another money maker for the the Fine "I" staff.

Do other countries require this?.. There are so many variation of this rule.. YEAH...So called RULE..

But the day will come, when the clever chaps at  "I" and F"" affaires will get there DUE...

TO THINK.. HOW DARE THEY..UP THE BLOODY BUTT, BASIL

Enlightened.. "shyreeah"

Keeping TRACK.. SHYREEAH..right..

W@anker!
As a point of interest is the fine the same whether you are one week overdue or five years overdue in reporting or is there a sliding scale? I wish I was one of those who wasn't a lazy sod but I haven't reported in three years and have never had a problem come visa renewal even though I know that's no excuse. :o
You may get a BIG problem one day! W@anker!
Now I understand why Thai Immigration gives us a hard time!

Why don't all you whingers simply play the game?

Its their ball, its their country, this is not Europe (or whatever), live and let live, and remember we do things a little different back home,(especially the driving), nothings perfect!!!

Totally sensible person. :D

Interestingly, the processing person at Immigration made a specific comment that the individual's passport showed no sign of having ever made 90 day reports. But - they did not "bust" him. Still, no one at Suan Phlu outsde of Room 401 had ever before so much as hinted any concen for 90 day reports - so something is going on.

I have never done the 90-day reporting and never had any comments while extending my visa. But I HAVE seen the large notice on the wall about it. I figure the visa extension staff have to deal with us year after year and they don't want to argue with us about this, so a notice on the wall is their polite way of letting us know we should do it. I don't think they are going to rat on us to the guys on the 4th floor unless they are forced to.

As a general comment, this old rule was revived around the time Immigration was concerned about foreign "criminal gangs" and is now re-revived when they are concerned about terrorists. I reckon its main purpose is to demonstrate that they are "doing something" and perhaps as a mild deterent to the bad guys. I doubt it has any real value in fighting crime or anything else.

I was having a discussion with a co-worker about this. I have never done the 90 registration thing, but now I am less than 90 days from my most recent leaving of Thailand, so I suppose I am safe for now. He does it and told me they stamp his passport each time. I've read in this thread that you can do the registration through the mail. If that is the case, how can they stamp the passport? Is my co-worker mistaken?

I was having a discussion with a co-worker about this. I have never done the 90 registration thing, but now I am less than 90 days from my most recent leaving of Thailand, so I suppose I am safe for now. He does it and told me they stamp his passport each time.  I've read in this thread that you can do the registration through the mail. If that is the case, how can they stamp the passport? Is my co-worker mistaken?

I'm sure he is wrong. The Immigration department don't stamp your passport whether you report every 90 days or not.

If you report, they give you a slip of paper (the bottom of the TM47 form) which you must carry in your passport. This paper says you have reported to them.

If you do not report and they find out, or you go to them and admit you have stayed more than 90 days, they do stamp your passport. The stamp says something like "For staying more than 90 days, fine of 2000 baht". It is dated and signed.

Those people who have such stamps run the risk of not being allowed back into Thailand, if the Immigration Department gets even tougher as rumoured in the papers:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...rch=yes&Id=3408

If you leave Thailand without reporting or getting caught, then you should have no trouble coming back in again. The only problem that could arise if the Immigration department and airport got their act together is this: at the airport when you leave, they could check how long you've stayed and if more than 90 days, they could ask you for the 90-day reporting slip of paper. If you don't have it, you've been caught!

I've just spotted this thread and have edited this post to include the following link to it. This thread shows that you can get checked and fined at the airport, and you get a nasty stamp in your passport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12575

Sleep well.

Other references:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=717

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=640

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=632

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?Id=3150

Edited by RDN

Why do they ask respectable expats for this crap ?  Why does'nt anyone tell them how ridiculous it is ?

Is there any valid reason for the Thai government to be this bullish ?

W@anker!
How do they expect everyone to hear about this new change, not every expat in Thailand will be aware of this new rule and will probably fall foul of it.

That is for as long as they want to enforce it, which will probably not be long going on past experiences.

They must sit for hours taxing their tiny minds on how to extort an extra baht from the poor expat.

Why dont they get in touch with all the Thais that have left Thailand, ask them how they get treated in their new country.

Almost all of them will say better than you are treating the poor farang over there, we can do almost anything, and definitely much more than the expat can do in Thailand, and it costs us nowt either, and we can live without the fear you impose on visitors to Thailand.

W@anker!
This rule is poorly enforced.. and another money maker for the the Fine "I" staff.

Do other countries require this?.. There are so many variation of this rule.. YEAH...So called RULE..

But the day will come, when the clever chaps at   "I" and F"" affaires will get there DUE...

TO THINK.. HOW DARE THEY..UP THE BLOODY BUTT, BASIL

Enlightened.. "shyreeah"

Keeping TRACK.. SHYREEAH..right..

W@anker!
As a point of interest is the fine the same whether you are one week overdue or five years overdue in reporting or is there a sliding scale? I wish I was one of those who wasn't a lazy sod but I haven't reported in three years and have never had a problem come visa renewal even though I know that's no excuse. :o
You may get a BIG problem one day! W@anker!
Now I understand why Thai Immigration gives us a hard time!

Why don't all you whingers simply play the game?

Its their ball, its their country, this is not Europe (or whatever), live and let live, and remember we do things a little different back home,(especially the driving), nothings perfect!!!

Totally sensible person. :D

Very well put RDN. When their aircraft arrived at Don Muang its engines stopped whining, and a percentage of expats started to whine as soon as they arrived, and then kept it up.

I got caught on this one last year and fined 2000 baht. Here is what happened:

I reasoned that reporting to immigration to renew one's visa would count as an address report, and the 90 day clock began then. That was on 30 June, and my last entry into Thailand was on 15 June. I carefully counted the days and reported at exactly 90 days since my visa renewal appearance date, expecting there would be no problem. Wrong I was! The appearance for a visa renewal "did not count" and they judged the 90 days from my last entry into Thailand. That's right, although I reported to immigration and filed stacks of paperwork with my current address, that appearance did not count and I was 15 days past the 90 days since my last entry.

Keep this technicality in mind, as I suspect others might be caught on this one, and it is surely an honest mistake. I always keep as legal as possible with all matters immigration, and was honestly trying to comply with the requirements. And BTW, I was told I was "lucky" to only be fined 2000 baht, as the immigration officer told me that they were now checking for this at departure immigration, and the fine if you get caught there is 5000 baht.

Oh, and if you do get "caught" like I did, you get a nice little stamp in your passport that says (in Thai) that you have "overstayed" and been fined. I have no idea why they consider not filing the 90 day address notice as "overstaying".

I got caught on this one last year and fined 2000 baht. Here is what happened:

I reasoned that reporting to immigration to renew one's visa would count as an address report, and the 90 day clock began then. That was on 30 June, and my last entry into Thailand was on 15 June. I carefully counted the days and reported at exactly 90 days since my visa renewal appearance date, expecting there would be no problem. Wrong I was! The appearance for a visa renewal "did not count" and they judged the 90 days from my last entry into Thailand. That's right, although I reported to immigration and filed stacks of paperwork with my current address, that appearance did not count and I was 15 days past the 90 days since my last entry.

Keep this technicality in mind, as I suspect others might be caught on this one, and it is surely an honest mistake. I always keep as legal as possible with all matters immigration, and was honestly trying to comply with the requirements. And BTW, I was told I was "lucky" to only be fined 2000 baht, as the immigration officer told me that they were now checking for this at departure immigration, and the fine if you get caught there is 5000 baht.

Oh, and if you do get "caught" like I did, you get a nice little stamp in your passport that says (in Thai) that you have "overstayed" and been fined. I have no idea why they consider not filing the 90 day address notice as "overstaying".

That really is bad luck! I totally sympathise with you, but what can you do? Learn from the experience, I guess, and warn everyone else.

I nearly got caught out the same way. My yearly extension date was 18th May and my 90 day reporting date was 9th May. I went for my extension on 29 April (a few weeks earlier than necessary) and I went for my 90 day reporting on 4th May (a few days early than necessary) and the paperwork was processed as normal. If I'd started counting my 90 days from my extension renewal date - 29 April - and reported on 28th July, I'd have been well "overstayed"!

So visa or "extension of stay" renewal dates must be considered totally independent of 90 day reporting dates. We live and learn!

Powers-that-be at ThaiVisa please note the above, check it and publish somewhere if true. :o

What's the most anybody on this forum has been fined for failing to report? Is 5000 baht the maximum no matter the length of time after 90 days you go to immi?

How long ago was your 90 days up? :o

What's the most anybody on this forum has been fined for failing to report? Is 5000 baht the maximum no matter the length of time after 90 days you go to immi?

How long ago was your 90 days up? :o

Don't even ask!!!!! A supposed "expert" told me when I got to LOS about 4 years ago that it was my apartment managers responsibility to notify the powers that be that I was staying there and I only found out the truth when I moved into a house about a month ago. I'm from Norwich in England and us country boys are a bit slow on the uptake. Oops. I did leave LOS at Xmas so I've been back in country with a new T.M. card for about 6 months so hopefully when I go to immi for my visa extension next week they'll only hit me for 90 days worth and not 4 years. :D

By the way, you can also register at your local police station if you don't want to go to immigration.

it is news to me that a 90 day address reporting can be filed at the local police station.

if this is true (here in BKK) it would be good news for me, the police station is just around the corner in walking distance.

can anybody confirm that 90 day reporting is possible at local police stations in BKK?

not related to PR, I have only Non-O extended anually.

opalhort

How long ago was your 90 days up? :D

Don't even ask!!!!! A supposed "expert" told me when I got to LOS about 4 years ago that it was my apartment managers responsibility to notify the powers that be that I was staying there and I only found out the truth when I moved into a house about a month ago. I'm from Norwich in England and us country boys are a bit slow on the uptake. Oops. I did leave LOS at Xmas so I've been back in country with a new T.M. card for about 6 months so hopefully when I go to immi for my visa extension next week they'll only hit me for 90 days worth and not 4 years. :D

:D Maybe that's the trick! - leave at Christmas when the airport must be really busy and they don't notice the overstay. But, boy, you were lucky! :o - and good luck next week! :D

What we need to know is:

Do they record your 90 day reporting in the Computer.

I am sure this was not done in the past

Does anybody know?

Or can find out?

Has anybody been asked to produce the 90 day

reporting receipt when extending their Visa?

(If it wasn't stapled in the passport)

Roger

What we need to know is:

Do they record your 90 day reporting in the Computer.

I am sure this was not done in the past

Does anybody know?

Or can find out?

Has anybody been asked to produce the 90 day

reporting receipt when extending their Visa?

(If it wasn't stapled in the passport)

Roger

I don't believe they staple your 90-day reporting slip into your passport, but they do staple the departure card.

By the way, under "Notice" on the departure card, there are 6 numbered paragraphs. Number 5 says: "Must notify your place of residence to the immigration office if you stay longer than ninety days and are required to do so every ninety days".

Couldn't be clearer, could it?

And number 4 implies that if you change your address, you must tell them within 24 hours!! But lets not worry about that one now...

I was at Kap Cheong Immigration office today - My years extension was through (took just under 2 months) and I can confirm that they do staple the reporting slip into the passport.

Additionaly (at that office anyway!) they also handwrite the date that you must report next time onto the slip - so there really is no excuse for not doing it on time - They did the calender counting!

The officer also mentioned that the fine may/will be rising from 2k to 5k for not reporting on time in the future, which seems to confirm rumours also heard in Bangkok.

Edited by croftrobin

When i renew my visa next week is it best to just admit the offense and pay the 5k or whatever. Will they give me a hard time? Somebody said that this is a deportable offence but that sounds a bit harsh or a crock of sh#t.

I just returned from Buang Kan Immigration office after doing the 90 day address notification.

I was depending on information posted in this forum and other forums that says you can make the report a week before or after the due date with no problem.

That is not true. My due date was June 30, 2004 and I reported to the Immigration office on July 5, 2004 and was confronted with a fine of 400 baht per day of the late reporting including weekends and the holiday of July 1. So I guess I am 2000 baht wiser about believing what you read on the web boards. It was and is my intention to stay completely within the rules but was really caught off guard by this fine.

Before you get after me about demeanor and dress code etc, I was properly dressed and polite to the officers and have always had a friendly relationship with that office.

To net it out, you can go early but DON'T even be 1/2 hour late from the date they give you to report.

By the way they do give you a new reporting date on the document they attach to your passport and in this case I am to report on Saturday Oct 2, 2004. I suspect that I better get there before it is due since I doubt they will be at the office on Saturday just because they put a bad date on my notification. Guess we have to check everything to stay within the rules.

Sure would be nice if they would allow some kind of electronic notification.

I was at Kap Cheong Immigration office today - My years extension was through (took just under 2 months) and I can confirm that they do staple the reporting slip into the passport.

Additionaly (at that office anyway!) they also handwrite the date that you must report next time onto the slip  - so there really is no excuse for not doing it on time  - They did the calender counting!

The officer also mentioned that the fine may/will be rising from 2k to 5k for not reporting on time in the future, which seems to confirm rumours also heard in Bangkok.

Very interesting the way different offices operate - thanks for your input. I can confirm that Bangkok (Suan Phlu) and Phuket (Patong and Phuket City) merely give you the slip of paper. They stamp it - in red - with the words "Always keep this paper with your passport. Contact again on ......." and they stamp the date of your next report on top of it.

When i renew my visa next week is it best to just admit the offense and pay the 5k or whatever. Will they give me a hard time? Somebody said that this is a deportable offence but  that sounds a bit harsh or a crock of sh#t.

Very difficult to suggest what to do. You need to get inside the head of the particular officer who you will be dealing with!

I think you have two choices - act innocent and just go for the visa renewal (do you mean "extension of stay"?) or say you just spotted that you should have reported earlier and ask them what they want you to do.

If you act innocent and they spot the overstay, act surprised and extremely apologetic. If they don't, breath a sigh of relief. I don't believe deportation is normal.

I'd like to hear from other long-stayers what they would do in this situation.

My due date was June 30, 2004 and I reported to the Immigration office on July 5, 2004 and was confronted with a fine of 400 baht per day of the late reporting including weekends and the holiday of July 1.

Very harsh treatment :o !

When i renew my visa next week is it best to just admit the offense and pay the 5k or whatever. Will they give me a hard time? Somebody said that this is a deportable offence but  that sounds a bit harsh or a crock of sh#t.

it is not a deportable offence...but it is a requirement to report your address every 90 days . in my opinion it would not be good to have too many failure to report stamps in your passport as this would show a lack of respect for immigration's requirements.

last year i was just about to get my one year extension of stay when suddenly this was handed to me and i was told to take care of it immediately.

90days.jpg

yes even huski was under the impression that filing a TM 7 extension application would qualify for reporting your address . but i ended up paying a 2000 baht fine in another building, and then going back to room 401 to report my address. then trucking back downstairs for the final extension stamp.

I was depending on information posted in this forum and other forums that says you can make the report a week before or after the due date with no problem.

Last year there was a notice in Room 401

Suan Phlu - which said one week before OR AFTER was OK

But things do Change ...

Roger

What's so hard about getting to an Immigration office on the stated day? ....ie the 90th day. Simple as that. Why do people look for hassles. Just do what the Thai man in uniform says.

I did mine a month ago and was a few days over the 7 day either side grace period, my employer managed to talk them into ONLY charging 500 Baht! This happened once before and then it was only 500 Baht as well, rather than the 2,000 Baht they could have/should have charged...I'm not moaning though :o

Though I had it re-confirmed today that the clock starts ticking each time you re-enter the country, two collegues of mine in Pattaya have been told to register immediately they get back to their Pattaya address. Anyone else?

Pattaya Immigration do not accept reporting by mail. They will allow a person other than yourself to take in the form and passport for registering.

Can you register at a non local Immigration Office? If you were holidaying or in another province maybe. Can you live in Pattaya and report by mail to Bangkok?

I travelled recently to Singapore without the 90 day note in my passport. No comment was made on the outward or return journey. It they start charging Bt5000 then it may be time for a quick Visa type run.

It is quite usual in several European countries for foreign visitors and workers to have to report their address. In my experience it has been every 6 months.

There does seem to be an Immigration game where they dig up some old neglected laws and re-apply them vigorously. Thai laws are funny in that the Government passes lots of laws and many get totally ignored and are not enforced. People wait to see if a new law 'takes' before obeying it.

I think this is why they often seem to make draconian laws in the hope that they will be obeyed.

Made an inquiry last week by phone, explaining 'never did the reporting'.

Reply: 'Don't come now, but 90 days after next time returning to the country'.

As the 90 days from last entry expired July 12, did the reporting on 9th. No problem whatsoever and got the slip into the p/port.

(Actually talking about wife who is here on a non-imm -O-)

Next step? The TM 6 (Arrival/departure card) still has a point 6 to the effect that an alien staying over 90 days needs a tax clearance b4 allowed to leave the country.

Don't tell them to implement this one. :o

Last year there was a notice in Room 401

Suan Phlu - which said one week before OR AFTER was OK

But things do Change ...

Roger

The note in room 401 stating the possibility of one week before and after the due date was still there when I reported in May 2004 and somehow I have the feeling that it will still be there when I report next time on August 2.

It appears like quite often those rural offices make their own rules either to squeeze out some cash and/or because they do not have the slightest idea of the legislation with the latter mentioned being the more likely option. Therefore, to be on the safe side always check with the place only you actually do your reporting because when messages do not not make it through to authorities within Bangkok or even floors in the same building how are they supposed to ever reach an office in buffalo hills?

By the way, in terms of stapling the slip into the passport Soi Suan Plu did it sometimes and somtimes not. It appears to be a matter whether the stapler is in arm length reach or not. When they did they used to employ the last page in the passport but well, last time it was stapled to a page somewhere in the middle - in fact the one right besides the latest extension stamp. Like always, the rule is that there ain't no rule or rules are subject to individual interpretation which obviously provides all the excitement of residing here and gurantees anything else but a boring living. Be ready for a new "amazing" experience any day, any hour and any minute and just hope it is not gonna be a costly one. :o