Brake Light Won't Go Off

Vehicle:2014 Honda Accord, 2.4L Automatic

As in the description, when I came home from an outing this afternoon and parked the car, I happened to notice both the center and left/right red rear brake lights were on after the vehicled was turned off and locked. I powered up/down the vehicle several times, depressing and releasing the brake pedal several times but to no avail. After each time the brake lights remained on when the vehicle was in park and turned off. Finally, I had to remove the battery cable so as not to have a dead battery in the morning. Any ideas as to what is the problem? I plan to re-connect the battery and drive it to a shop in the morning.

I had this with a Honda CRV. It turned out to be the switch attached to the brake pedal.

What I did find out though, was that when you remove the fuse that controls the brake lights (so the battery didn't go flat), the car wouldn't start and you couldn't engage the gear selector.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

If module problem remove fuse for light circuit until repair possible

I did pull the engine fuse box cover (with fuse map inside) and tried pulling fuses that seemed to relate to the light circuits to no avail...but probably just not the right one).

The brake lights on many Japanese cars work without the ignition being turned on - whereas with most European cars, the ignition has to be on for them to work.

Your problem is almost certainly the brake light switch at the top of the pedal. Cheap and easy to fix.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 2long said:

It's REALLY common on Hondas. There's a little rubber bung under the pedal. I went to my main dealer and they charged me 54B and fitted it for free. Yes, 54B!! ????????????????????

Something like this I imagine...

and

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I did pull the engine fuse box cover (with fuse map inside) and tried pulling fuses that seemed to relate to the light circuits to no avail...but probably just not the right one).

Not sure how honda handle brake switch when ignition off

As mentioned already some allow brake light when ignition control is off

As mentioned already remove brake circuit fuse can disable transmission control

Maybe lucky and only simple switch but always prepare for other problem in modern car electronics

Thanks for the feedback...it's the plastic bolt connection between the brake pedal arm and the brake light controller disintegrated (pieces of broken plastic found on the floor mat). A common issue with Hondas as they age...the plastic gets brittle and falls apart. At the Honda dealer now...a 130 baht part and free install.

20220225_095427.thumb.jpg.1342e56db6e8330b3701469d926c5b4b.jpg

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

That was the first thing I tried...didn't work ????

The only other thing I can think of is maybe they're your fog lights, check the fog light switch. I see a lot of local drivers leave their fog lights on by mistake.

• Haha 1