Getting a "certificate of residence" on a tourist visa

Hey, 

does anyone have experience getting a certificate of residence (required for Thai license) on a tourist visa? 

From what I understand, it's impossible to get in Bangkok (requires a Non-Immigrant visa), but according to this thread from two years ago, it seems to be possible to do in another province (just check into a hotel for a few days and go to the immigration office there). 

So I'm wondering - has anyone done this recently? Does it (still / actually) work?

Or any other way I can get a paper like this (not from my embassy, they don't issue these, already checked)?  

Thanks!

Spend a few baht and go see a VISA agency. 

I use TIKTOK on Jomtien. Painless. They prepare the documents, pick you up, drive you out to the transport office, loan you the car for the test & get you thru the process as quickly as possible.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Spend a few baht and go see a VISA agency. 

I use TIKTOK on Jomtien. Painless. They prepare the documents, pick you up, drive you out to the transport office, loan you the car for the test & get you thru the process as quickly as possible.

You had to take a driving test?  Why'd they need to lend you a car?

• Haha 1

I came over on a 30 day..  covid hit.  Started Amnesty  then the VISA ext.  My international license was expiring.   Immigration typed me up a letter for Department of Land and Transportation.   I went watched a video, took the silly reaction  test and was given two year license.   I dont know if you have an international License and seemingly trapoed here... if that makes a difference.    Sems like I read somewhere,  and I coukd be wrong, that due to VID they were accepting home country licenses  under the current  situation.   Do some research  on that.  If you are getting continued Covid Visa extension you might ask to get the letter from immigration to get al license.   I am in Roi Et but it should be similar.  It has been mentioned that there are back door paths they may work.  I would think, as tracking peoples location os important  here, that you'll need a kind of permanent  address, as I remember  a house book was needed for mine.  Even in my country one is expected,  not that everyone does, to change address on license when one moves.  If you arent in a condo and move around... I dont know.  But  If you can get a letter from immigration  its very easy to get a license. 

Call Tik Tok Services in Jomtien.and ask them. Great door to door service and take care of everything. They may be able to help. Only drawback now is you have to go Transport Office TWICE. First time she takes you to make appointment and then in 1-2 weeks they take you again for color blindness test and coordination. Be sure to explain your situation in detail about your visa type and where you live. If anyone can help, they can. Added bonus...that Tok is smokin' hot! 

• Like 1

I renewed for the five year 'jobby' not long ago, but I'm on an 'old git' visa. Getting a Thai drivers on a tourist visa is uncertain as others have stated. Don't expect to get it, but by all means have a go at trying to attain one.

If you've got a license from a country deemed to be producing 'good, competent drivers e.g Aussie, UK, Sweden, France then your chances increase somewhat, as does your age and years of driving.

If you are very young and, especially trying this on a tourist visa (extended because of covid or not) might, might add to the difficulty of finding an office that will approve your application.  

Getting a copy of your lease is required as part of the application as are your Landlords ID card (front and back copies) can you supply such a document if you have only a short lease of month/few months? - this is part of the checks done and the prime reason for supplying either your house-books or lease if renting. There's other stuff needed and copies of same which you can find out by a quick visit to the Department of Land Transport Offices in your area.

For all reading this thread International Drivers Permit (which is NOT a license) is valid for 60 days only in LOS. After this you are not legally allowed to drive here.

Hua Hin used to do it on the same day. I did it several times there when buying motorbikes, car and my driving licenses. I also managed to get in the housebook on visa exemption at my gf house also. Hua Hin always been easy and fast with little que. 

But this was before covid. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:51 PM, ubonjoe said:

Where are your located?

Some immigration offices will not issue them if you are on a tourist visa.

You may have to get one from your embassy if the will do a proof of address.

Hello Joe, my 2 year Thai driving licences have now expired about 2 years ago ( January 2020 ) because of Covid and the inability to return.

Do you know of any problems I may encounter in updating them on my return and the process required for this.

many thanks as always, Jim jim

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

cannot answer you question. Perhaps look here or post a topci. https://aseannow.com/forum/78-thailand-motor-discussion/

Have never posted a topic before and not quite sure of how to do it but many thanks for your quick response.

will be coming to Ubon Ratchathani later this year so if you know of a good coffee shop and feel inclined maybe you will let me buy you one, anyway thanks again.