Visa for visiting the UK/London (for Thai National married to a German Guy)

Hello out there,

hope the headline is not to confusing. In summer my Thai wife an me (German) staying here in Thailand right now, want to go first to Germany (stay there for some days) and then visit some European Countries just for holiday. We married in Bangkok and the marriage is registered in Germany (but I think this doesn't matter in our case).

We want to visit also London for a week or so, and starting to go there from Germany

My wife has already a Schengen-Visa (for Visit not Tourist), and before the Brexit everything was easy I believe.

I think to go London my wife needs some sort of Visa. The most important question is: we can apply for a Visa here at the UK Embassy in Bangkok or we have to do at the UK Embassy in Germany (because this is the last destination before going to the UK)? Also any other general advise is appreciated. Thanks so much!

You have to apply for her 'General' visa through the UK government website.  Start here 

https://www.gov.uk/world/coming-to-the-uk-thailand

You will need to complete an application form for her  ( all electronically) and then through  VFS  ( this is an organisation that processes the Visa) you will make an appointment for her at their Bangkok office (Trendy Building Sukhumvit 13) . The fee is around 125US$ , The visa lasts 6 months.  If you need any clarity on the completion of the form or document requirements etc., you're welcome to  pm me.   My (Thai) wife has applied for 17 visas over the years including the opposite travel direction to yourselves . IE  Travel to UK first.  then to Schengen countries.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaLa said:

You have to apply for her 'General' visa through the UK government website.  Start here 

You will need to complete an application form for her  ( all electronically) and then through  VFS  ( this is an organisation that processes the Visa) you will make an appointment for her at their Bangkok office (Trendy Building Sukhumvit 13) . The fee is around 125US$ , The visa lasts 6 months.  If you need any clarity on the completion of the form or document requirements etc., you're welcome to  pm me.   My (Thai) wife has applied for 17 visas over the years including the opposite travel direction to yourselves . IE  Travel to UK first.  then to Schengen countries.

Thanks so much, that helps a lot....I'm aware of VFS because they are working for the german embassy too! Will let you know if I need more help.....:-)

27 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Not sure much has changed since Brexit.....other than an attitude toward foreigners!!!!!!!

I lived with my This wife in Germany for 16 years and she had to apply for a visitors visa every time we went to the UK.

But I think before the Brexit, it was a "Schengen-Visa", which she could used for any other Schengen-Country too. Now I need two Visa for my wife. 1. Schengen-Visa for Germany, Italy etc. and 2. UK Visa

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

Just a quick note, that I'm going through the application form until the payment step....a lot of questions, but quite easy to answer.....thanks again....

2 hours ago, xn47140 said:

But I think before the Brexit, it was a "Schengen-Visa", which she could used for any other Schengen-Country too. Now I need two Visa for my wife. 1. Schengen-Visa for Germany, Italy etc. and 2. UK Visa

No....UK has never been in the Schengen visa system....typical Brits.....they refused to sign up to it.

As an aside I could not live with my wife in the UK, but I could live anywhere in mainland Europe with her no problem.

Under EU law I had the automatic right to live with my wife. Under UK law I has no automatic right to live with her as I am British....mental!!!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

No....UK has never been in the Schengen visa system....typical Brits.....they refused to sign up to it.

As an aside I could not live with my wife in the UK, but I could live anywhere in mainland Europe with her no problem.

Under EU law I had the automatic right to live with my wife. Under UK law I has no automatic right to live with her as I am British....mental!!!!

Thanks for clarifying....

• Like 1