Covid travel insurance from uk to Thailand

Bkkbound

we are travelling back to Thailand in July for an extended holiday with two kids under 13, I had made an assumption that the usual travel insurance bought in the uk would suffice, they all claim they provide covid cover, my wife who accesses some uk thai facebook groups is reporting problems  some people have using the Thailand pass portal as its rejecting some well know UK insurance policies(post office & AA), is this a common problem or I am i being misled?

Under the old Certificate of Entry program, Thai authorities would accept a home-country policy if (1) the policy specifically mentioned it covered covid or (2) if the policy didn't specifically mention covid and one obtained a letter from the health insurance company saying covid was in fact covered [I know friends in the US that contacted their health insurance companies and easily obtained such a letter (the companies were aware of the issue)].  Perhaps current new test and go program (or future entry programs) will allow the same.

Would note that the latest program only involves coverage for $20,000 of covid coverage and that's actually fairly inexpensive; however, given you say your trip is in July, I'd strongly suggest you wait until at least the last half of June to apply for anything as nobody knows what entry rules will apply then (Thai authorities are allegedly talking about eliminating all covid entry rules once they determine the pandemic has become an epidemic).

• Like 2

Hi - I just rec'd my Thailand Pass on Friday and I used the annual UK Post Office travel insurance. I have been to Thailand 3 times during restrictions (quarantine, sandbox, test and go) and the Post Office Policy has worked every time. Biggest problem I experienced on application was the attachment of files as my format was PDF and they wouldn't accept that so had to convert to JPEG - still haven't a clue how I did it ! Application to issue less than 24hrs - excellent service.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mark johnstone said:

Hi - I just rec'd my Thailand Pass on Friday and I used the annual UK Post Office travel insurance. I have been to Thailand 3 times during restrictions (quarantine, sandbox, test and go) and the Post Office Policy has worked every time. Biggest problem I experienced on application was the attachment of files as my format was PDF and they wouldn't accept that so had to convert to JPEG - still haven't a clue how I did it ! Application to issue less than 24hrs - excellent service.

Have used PO in the past, but short of going through their policies, do you know if they cover for being admitted to hospital while asymptomatic?

I too am currently on Post Office travel insurance.

I have not checked the small print but I cannot see it providing cover for being admitted to hospital if I am not actually sick or injured or in need of medical intervention.  Surely the same must apply to any insurance ?

My cover note was initially questioned by the London Embassy when I applied for STV in November 2021.  The issue was with the level of cover. They were looking for $50,000 when I had £2,000,000 - which was accepted when I pointed it out.

My cover note was also scrutinised at Jomtien immigration last week when I applied for my 90 extension.  Initially I was told that I needed separate Covid cover - but following scrutiny from two additional immigration officers my Post Office document was accepted.