Stunning mythical shapes drawn by nature bring fame to Bueng Kan

webfact

1E52DCCA-5EAA-42E5-BFFC-B458321EE5FB.jpg

Nakee cliff- once you reach the top, the reward is a fabulous view of the Mekong river. (Photo by Veena Thoopkrajae)

The small province of Bueng Kan in the Northeast was way off the tourism track until recently but is now enjoying a surge in visitors thanks to some mythical beliefs.

Local tourists are flocking to two new attractions in Phu Langka National Park known as the Naga and Nakee caves – the latter a name given to female creatures.

The belief in the sacred creatures according to Buddhism and Hinduism is a key factor in attracting tourists to the province, though a love of nature and for trekking is also playing a part. The sun–cracked stone and bumps resembling naga and nakee heads are beautiful and photogenic. It’s also a challenge to climb to the top of the rocks to enjoy a panoramic view of Thailand, the Mekong River, and Laos.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/stunning-mythical-shapes-drawn-by-nature-bring-fame-to-bueng-kan/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

once you reach the top, the reward is a fabulous view of the Mekong river

Was it a particularly dry season when they took this photo of the Mekong river, or should we blame it on all the Laotian and Chinese dams upstream, lol?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Was it a particularly dry season when they took this photo of the Mekong river

Possibly, but heading towards Nong Khai from Loei on route 211, you pass Wat Pha Tak Suea (between Chiang Khan and Si Chiang Mai) with its glass walkway where there are fantastic views of the Mekong and Laos from Thailand. Access to the temple is easy by car, cycle, motorbike - no need for strenuous hill climbing. (my photo)

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.6121d3e9796002ea33a25aab7241e8c0.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Was it a particularly dry season when they took this photo of the Mekong river, or should we blame it on all the Laotian and Chinese dams upstream, lol?

Do upstream dams stop the water flow? The same amount of water is still there.

Surely if further downstream they built dams to build up a head of water, then they could utilise the power of the river.

1 hour ago, malathione said:

That it is. Not far from where I live and I visit it with some regularity.

I'm an hours drive in Sakon Nakhon, just on the border near Seka.

That bridge will connect to a new Highway that connects to the beautiful beaches of Vietnam.  It's like 340 kilometers drive from Paxon.

Beung Khan has a great Makro also!

I've got to make a drive over there and check things out.

• Like 1