Assisting Thai student with on-line learning/tests.

The Fugitive

I am a basic computer user, normally use Windows 7 Home Premium as my main operating system but also use Debian based Linux, usually MX or BunsenLabs. My step-daughter occasionally asks me to help her remotely with her studies. Can any member recommend a simple to set up and operate VPN whereby I can see what is on her screen and her cursor moving? Occasionally I may also need to take over control if she gets completely stuck. Either a Windows or Linux suggestion would be appreciated. Many thanks.  

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

You can also request to access a remote computer while using zoom.

You can talk, see and see their computer within the same app.

See, or also operate remotely ? There is a difference.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

See, or also operate remotely ? There is a difference.

You can grant remote access.

The OP mentioned he wanted to see what was happening on the screen, with the option of assisting.

Nothing wrong with teamviewer, the only times I have used it was with an ISP where you are talking to them on the phone at the same time, whereas zoom is pretty cool because both users can see and talk for free and have remote access, ideal if a person is assisting from another country.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

You can grant remote access.

The OP mentioned he wanted to see what was happening on the screen, with the option of assisting.

Nothing wrong with teamviewer, the only times I have used it was with an ISP where you are talking to them on the phone at the same time, whereas zoom is pretty cool because both users can see and talk for free and have remote access, ideal if a person is assisting from another country.

Eh teamviewer you can also talk for free, no camera option (pointless when helping someone). 

But if you can have remote access then its great I have not used zoom much. But teamviewer works great and as long as its not commercial its free. But seems both are valid options. Though with teamviewer you both need to register an account one time and both install the software.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Eh teamviewer you can also talk for free, no camera option (pointless when helping someone). 

But if you can have remote access then its great I have not used zoom much. But teamviewer works great and as long as its not commercial its free. But seems both are valid options. Though with teamviewer you both need to register an account one time and both install the software.

I didn’t know that teamviewer had audio, so we both learned something - the video is quite helpful, because you can see reactions on peoples faces to see if they are following or understanding.

You need to install software and sign up for accounts for zoom too, but I think for single instances, teamviewer has the edge as it’s just one invite code.

During the peak of Covid we spent over an hour over two occasions trying to teach our architect how to access a group call. You can also share a mobile device too, you are conducting the conference call on your computer, using the computer webcam but drawing on your iPad, there is a delay but it’s pretty cool.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I didn’t know that teamviewer had audio, so we both learned something - the video is quite helpful, because you can see reactions on peoples faces to see if they are following or understanding.

You need to install software and sign up for accounts for zoom too, but I think for single instances, teamviewer has the edge as it’s just one invite code.

During the peak of Covid we spent over an hour over two occasions trying to teach our architect how to access a group call. You can also share a mobile device too, you are conducting the conference call on your computer, using the computer webcam but drawing on your iPad, there is a delay but it’s pretty cool.

Normally when i take over the computer of my parents there is no need to look as they wont understand what im doing. If you are demonstrating something then yes different story. 

• Haha 1