Soursop

After 8 years, my Soursop is growing fruit. Well there was one last year, thus time about 20.

Sadly, in moving house. 

Couple of questions. 

Can I take my tree, or is it better to just buy a new one? 600km.

How long will these fruit take to get big? 

20220303_163856.jpg

20220303_163835.jpg

20220303_131606.jpg

Transplanting is possible, but there are some things to consider, size of tree, site and soil conditions, location, accessibility for equipment both at the existing site and the new site, and of course your budget.  Small trees are easy and moving it could be successful if done right, but your 8-yo tree may be approaching a size that would be a challenge, depending on all factors. 

Fruiting and new growth could be stalled for a couple of years as the tree recovers from transplant shock and establishes a root system in the new site. Follow up disease suppression, fertility and especially water management is critical for transplant maintenance. 

Post or PM photos of the entire tree and site, showing soil surface area and nearby paving, structures etc, and access route to get close with a pickup or larger truck. A crane-assist is often needed to move a large boxed tree. 

Your geographical location is also important to know, for finding an available professional tree moving crew.  Local laborers would brutalize and minimize the root ball taken and reduce chances of survival.  Don

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:56 AM, Neeranam said:

Thanks Don, I've decided to leave it and look for another in my new home. 

I think that's a good decision. Too bad after you waited 8 years for the delicious fruit abundance. 

Once a tree is larger than what can be dug and wrapped or boxed and moved by a two man crew with a dolly and a pickup, then it can get quite expensive and the chances of survival are decreased. 

• Thanks 1