Can they force me into hospital if i test positive?

joeshmoe23

Thanks but the issue/question is "forced", or not, or lottery-maybe, in case of any test positive with no symptom (no fever, no breathing difficulty)...

Hospital or Hospitel or home, whatever. No symptom = normal omicron flu -> forced isolation, or not ?

As far as i have read, it's lottery now.

Not to mention a probable dual approach National/farang.

I just think i will wait solid confirmation this rip-off is off ????

Only then i'll be back.

Edited by Sambotte
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Thanks but the issue/question is "forced", or not, or lottery-maybe, in case of any test positive with no symptom (no fever, no breathing difficulty)...

Hospital or Hospitel or home, whatever. No symptom = normal omicron flu -> forced isolation, or not ?

Only then i'll be back.

I got Covid in the last week after returning from LOS. Likely caught it LOS. Tested positive on Monday. I need to return to LOS in 2 weeks. Chances are that I will test positive pre-departure and arrival PCR tests. If not here in London then certainly on arrival in LOS. Will get "recovery letter". Will see if that works. This will be a situation many will experience. Very mild symptoms. Not even as bad as a cold in my experience. And the world shut down for this? Surprised I never got it before TBH. Have insurance. A journey into the unknown. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Only then i'll be back.

Correct. It is a complete shambles with no clear direction given by the government.

Best to wait until they wake up to the fact they are losing millions of tourist dollars to other more progressive countries and will then remove their onerous and nonsensical entry requirements.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:54 PM, ILOVEBKKLONGTIME said:

What are the purpose of these links? The first one is clarification that a particular policy doesn't cover room costs for enforced quarantine, and the second one is a story from January suggesting policies may be made available to cover the costs but with no further updates or links to such policies as far as I can see.

On 3/12/2022 at 2:13 AM, soi3eddie said:

I got Covid in the last week after returning from LOS. Likely caught it LOS. Tested positive on Monday. I need to return to LOS in 2 weeks. Chances are that I will test positive pre-departure and arrival PCR tests. If not here in London then certainly on arrival in LOS. Will get "recovery letter". Will see if that works. This will be a situation many will experience. Very mild symptoms. Not even as bad as a cold in my experience. And the world shut down for this? Surprised I never got it before TBH. Have insurance. A journey into the unknown. 

This is now the growing issue, particularly for international travel. 

The risk of testing RT-PCR positive when recovered from Covid-19.....  the potential hassles it causes for travel, needing the ‘recovery letter’ means Covid-19 needs to have been dealt with publicly and not simply isolating at home. 

Will airlines allow a ‘recovered’ letter in lieu of PCR test result and which airlines, which countries etc...??

• Thanks 1

Thai are not afraid of the virus but they are afraid of money, tell them you don't have the money to pay for hospital and they should cover your expenses, they will send you to your home to quarantine

• Confused 1

only emirates will take positive. Still, for thailand you need to take pre-departure pcr test. Recovery certificate needs to be issued minimum 14 days before flight. Can be backdated - explain to dr why you need it. 

Show recovery at every step of journey. Even now to airline, so no surprises at check in. Even to hotel, and ask to forward to their associated hospital.

In thailand they would let home.

What happens if your admitted to the hospital quarantine against your will and they demand payment at the end, instead of beforehand?

Is there jail time involved if you don't pay at the end, or can you just walk out? Or do they keep your passport?

Seems like they would have to admit you if the health authorities bring you there.

Edited by JimTripper

if hospital means you have serious symptoms and insurance will cover it (however, my insurance only covered medical part, for hospital room, food, cleaning etc I was billed).

If you have a foreign insurance hospital asks for some 80k deposit (that is in Piyavate hospital).

On admission they will give you to sign blank documents. They are covered in plastic, with just a small space to put signature in. Don't sign anything and they won't be able to charge you. They can call your insurance to sort out claim, even without any of your involvement.

Most likely you end up in hospitel (they will move you from hotel to another one in the neighbourhood).

Exit doors from the ward are locked, probably same at hospitel. Now they might even have lock on floor exits at T&G hotels. Looks, like they wised up, too many patients, guests doing a runner.

But there is always emergency exit door

Edited by internationalism

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my second shot, so i am ready to move in 2 weeks.
Wondering if Thailand was ready to let tourists come with no lottery ?

I mean the official rule is : no fever, no speed breathing = no forced hospitalisation.

BUT : on arrival especially, what if ?

With Omicron everywhere, with tests variable (looks like they do a different approach if one has recovered for example, but what if one had Omicron with zero symptom and so did not make any previous test for a recovery letter ?), looks like a non-sense for travel.

I do not have a home now in Thailand (witch could save one from forced hospital/tel/isation...).

Would a booking of a good hotel accepting positive be a solution ? 

Would the sandbox option be safer ? (i mean not to be incarcerated in a room).

Although i really, really, and i mean really miss Thailand (<deleted> 1 year in Latin American tired me), I still have no intention to play "escape room" !!  ????

Otherwise well i may choose Cambodia and wait for Thailand to be really willing to welcome tourists and more (i am planning the Elite visa, but only if...).

Any update guys ?

• Like 1

You mean it's possible and less risky via border ? Did not see that.

I got lost will all the changes (around the world).

And the complications, coming from Latin America i have to check the transit too (covid again restrictions). Like Japan does not allow to change airport. Hong Kong still not allowing transit. Etc.

I am actually thinking first Cambodge, because "normal". But the flights are not easy.

And yep i really miss Thailand after one year outside ????

No, some land borders are just opening in April. They wont be easier to cross than flying. I just wanted to say that remaining travel restrictions are not issue anymore for in flying. Bangkok airport looks now like pre-covid, many travellers, some airplanes full. 
Each month there is less restrictions, usually introduced at the beginning of month. Planned full opening from 1st July. But there might be hiccups, if new variant comes. That would apply to all countries. And  new restrictions might come overnight, so no time for swift entry. 
Yes, if you want to play safe do recovery certificate. Some clinics do them online. In bangkok they are for 2k baht, but you need one issued locally where you are. Possibly you can get it. For thailand they are valid for 90 days after infection. 
that is the best, updated website, where you can check restrictions. 
https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

I came over to Thailand last week to visit family.  The form that I had to complete on the plane from the Thai health department is (almost) unbelievable.

It states in English "I confirm that I am travelling from a country with local Covid 19 transmission, and I have been exposed to Covid 19 infection......."

You have to sign that form, or Thai immigration will not let you enter Thailand....  Many on my plane were ready to refuse point-blank to complete and sign this form, but we had no choice.

I asked the flight attendant for an extra copy of this form, and I'll post a scan when I can.  Suffice to say "Welcome to Thailand - NOT"!

• Like 1

Yes, this health form is atrocious. Interesting to know if it differs from thai version.

Still, it was possible to photograph this form before filling in. Or asking for another copy, because you have made a mistake with the first one. 
This form was introduced only at the end of december, in wake of omicron. So now it should be cancelled, once omicron is not a serious issue and when there is goal of full opening. 
I think it was made to scare passengers into easy submission into hospital or hospitel. Its a health order, with harsh law behind it. Sad, that health profession doesnt show caring face, instead using military style 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

No, some land borders are just opening in April. They wont be easier to cross than flying. I just wanted to say that remaining travel restrictions are not issue anymore for in flying. Bangkok airport looks now like pre-covid, many travellers, some airplanes full. 
Each month there is less restrictions, usually introduced at the beginning of month. Planned full opening from 1st July. But there might be hiccups, if new variant comes. That would apply to all countries. And  new restrictions might come overnight, so no time for swift entry. 
Yes, if you want to play safe do recovery certificate. Some clinics do them online. In bangkok they are for 2k baht, but you need one issued locally where you are. Possibly you can get it. For thailand they are valid for 90 days after infection. 
that is the best, updated website, where you can check restrictions. 
https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions

Thanks, interesting site.
Although i had contradicting infos about transit in Japan, looks like it must be the same airport (from other sources).

The main issue is the forced hospitalisation, with no clarity about the rules, in case of the PCR on arrival positive.

I do not have a recovery, did not have any "infection", it was just to say tests are not accurate or precise... Combined with the "more sensitive" Thais tests (people say)... The test is still a big issue (a rip-off+incarceration issue, not a health one).

I am vaccinated (for traveling).

I am still lost, best for me would be to wait (but indeed you never know what mess may happen again), i could bet Thailand will get rid of all those restrictions and so too off the hospitel rip-off, in 1, 2, or 3 months. 

And to makes things more fun... to go to Cambodia from Mexico, it would be a second stop-transit in hong-kong (i do not feel it obviously with the many lookdowns in China), or in... Bangkok lol.

Could not find an updated info about transit in Bangkok yet, has moved... And anyway those flights are not too good (too long, 2 stops...).

I may have to consider Philipines or Vietnam to find better flights with no-problem transits.

But in case i take the risk to go in Thailand now (because it's the plan, Elite Visa, and stay) :

How to prepare a plan-B anti-rip-off forced hospitel ? In case of some fancy test on arrival.

Sandbox are better ? No hospitelisation ?

Or T&G and booking an airBnB to be able to insist on "home isolation" insteed of a forced hospi-thing ?

My main issue is i have never been in prison, and have no plan to risk that ????

• Like 1