Options for 2x 3 months per year in Thailand

For the next few years my (Thai) wife and I would like to spend 2x 3 month periods each year in Thailand. Probably Oct- Dec and Feb - April inclusive.

Prior to Covid I was using 12 month ME Non-O based on marriage to a Thai, which suited us fine since it allowed multiple 3 month entries.

Assuming this visa is no longer available in the future, which do you think would be my best option?

1. Enter on 90 day Non-O and extend for 12 months then come and go with re-entry permit. (Disadvantage of 400k, home visits, witness and paperwork etc etc).

2. Use 2x 90-day non-O visas (complications if we want to visit other SE Asian countries during our stay?).

3. Come each time on 30 days visa exempt and extend 60 days.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They all will work fine.

Why you think issue with option 2.

If you wanted to exit and return just buy reentry permit to protect your 90 day non O.

You sure its possible to get reentry permit on SE 90 day visa?

8 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

You sure its possible to get reentry permit on SE 90 day visa?

Yes. However, if planning to leave via a land border, you may need to get the re-entry permit from your local immigration office prior to travel. If flying out, you can do it at the airport.

4 minutes ago, cnx1204 said:

why do  you think the marriage "visa" would no longer be offered/honored?

I don't know whether it will or not. But pre-Covid it was withdrawn from London and almost everywhere else AFAIK, apart from Cambodia and Vietnam.  If still available there then all good, but thinking about options if its not.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They all will work fine.

not sure about option 3.

i didn't think visa exempt could be extended more then 30 days (notwithstanding the temporary 60 day covid extension).

TR60 + 30 day extension could be an option 4 ?

5 minutes ago, Bvor said:

not sure about option 3.

i didn't think visa exempt could be extended more then 30 days (notwithstanding the temporary 60 day covid extension).

TR60 + 30 day extension could be an option 4 ?

He is married to Thai.

30 visa exempt + 60 day extension to visit wife.

In fact if he ever wanted 4 months could obtain the 30 day extension to the VE followed by visit wife extension. 

He could have included option 4. Obtain tourist visa and extend. That way can leave wife at home. Best option. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

30 visa exempt + 60 day extension to visit wife.

how many times a year can this VE 60 day extension be granted.

have just read a 2013 post by UJ on this visit wife ext suggesting only once.

maybe now changed....... also quite a long thread re my TIT attention span issues.  

O-A may also be an option if you already have suitable private insurance. Theres a couple of hoops (police certificate and med certificate) but it can all be done from home (I did both online, even med cert) and negates having any money in Thailand. No visits to imm here required. 

58 minutes ago, Whale said:

O-A may also be an option if you already have suitable private insurance.

Yes, thought about OA. But I can get annual travel insurance for 2x 90 day visits per year at reasonable cost - I'm ok provided stay below 180 days/year. At the moment we both prefer UK in the British summertime.

• Like 1

Either non-o visa before you come, or enter visa exempt and get 60 day visit wife extension.

Just decide by what you prefer: Handle it with the embassy before you come to Thailand, or handle it in Thailand with immigration. Might also simply depend on how far the immigration is from where you stay and with which immigration office you are dealing.