Australian ambassador in Samui as legendary cricketer Shane Warne taken to Surat Thani for full autopsy

webfact

6pm.jpg

Piture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the latest developments following the death of Australian cricketing legend Shane Warne, 52, on Koh Samui on Friday.

In an incident that has shocked the sporting world Mr Warne was found unresponsive and given CPR by a friend and rescue services before he was later pronounced dead.

No suspicious circumstances have been found but due to the high profile of the victim he was taken yesterday from the holiday island to Surat Thani hospital on the mainland via ambulance and ferry from Nathon. 

Accompanying the body was Australian ambassador Allan McKinnon who had earlier met with Bo Phut, tourist and immigration police. 

Interviewed in connection with the case were three friends of Mr Warne, two staff and four massage workers. 

Mr McKinnon thanked the Thai authorities for their transparent and detailed work on the case. 

Bo Phut chief of police Pol Col Yuthana Sirisombat said it was important that everything was done to ensure public confidence in the case. 

He said that initial findings from his side of the case was that Mr Warne had suffered from asthma and had complained of chest pains since he left Australian to come to Thailand and had been treated for a heart condition.

The rest of the investigation was up to the medical staff at Surat Thaini Hospital, he noted.

Mr Warne was widely regarded as one of the greatest cricketers of all time and certainly the sport's finest leg spinner, notes ASEAN NOW. 

In a career spanning Australia, India and England he was a household name for millions.

His family have accepted the Australian government's offer of a state funeral.

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-07

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The rest of the investigation was up to the medical staff at Surat Thaini Hospital,

For reference Yahoo UK News, 7th March 2022:-

Shane Warne’s autopsy shows the cricket great died of natural causes.............

Thai police spokesperson ................. said on Monday afternoon the autopsy report had been received and it concluded Warne had a “natural death”.

Police have informed his family and the Australian embassy, and will provide the report to the prosecutor to close the case.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/shane-warne-death-woman-questioned-071906484.html

• Like 2

Well it is reassuring to know that the process is being overseen by the Samui police. The autopsy should reveal nothing untoward. All that blood around the room is quite normal, of course.

Should not affect tourism unduly and the integrity of investigations in that region is well known. What could possibly go wrong?.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Friends in Australia told me when the story first broke in Australia it was reported Warnie was with his wife, and it was his wife who found him close to death in his bed. Then the story changed to he didn't have a wife with him and it was his mates who went to his room and found him because he hadn't turned up for a meeting at the resort bar. Kinda makes me wonder if there was a local woman in the story somewhere, who has made herself scare.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

"Thai police have questioned a German woman who got into the back of the ambulance transporting the body of Australian cricket legend Shane Warne from the island of Koh Samui."

full article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-07/shane-warne-body-incident-thailand/100887050

Tomorrow's Headlines.

Fat Thai ambulance driver loses his job for allowing disrespectful German women in his ambulance. 

47 minutes ago, grain said:

Friends in Australia told me when the story first broke in Australia it was reported Warnie was with his wife, and it was his wife who found him close to death in his bed. Then the story changed to he didn't have a wife with him and it was his mates who went to his room and found him because he hadn't turned up for a meeting at the resort bar. Kinda makes me wonder if there was a local woman in the story somewhere, who has made herself scare.

He was divorced years ago.Seems your mates are clueless or a BS story! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I have 1st hand experience in the useless staff behind the windows at the embassy but what makes the Ambassador useless? 

This particular ambassador, like many, is only for show. He doesn't actually do anything for his countries citizens. If it was you or me that died from a heart attack, he'd be nowhere to be seen. He only showed up in Samui because it was an opportunity to create the appearance of him doing something and for the photo op.

40 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

This particular ambassador, like many, is only for show. He doesn't actually do anything for his countries citizens. If it was you or me that died from a heart attack, he'd be nowhere to be seen. He only showed up in Samui because it was an opportunity to create the appearance of him doing something and for the photo op.

I agree, but you'd find most Ambassadors would do exactly the same. 

47 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Usual rubbish "photo op" comment. He is showing respect to a great Aussie legend on behalf of us all.Embassy assists in all death/repatriation of its citizens. What.dealings  have you had with Oz Embassy?.… 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Olmate said:

He was divorced years ago.Seems your mates are clueless or a BS story! 

I was told it was his second wife, I know nothing really about him or his personal life. But I just checked and it appears he didn't remarry, so yes, seems like BS. 

9 minutes ago, grain said:

I was told it was his second wife, I know nothing really about him or his personal life. But I just checked and it appears he didn't remarry, so yes, seems like BS. 

Nice  Thanx. Plenty posted on here know nothing about him either but we wont hear from them again.

5 hours ago, Olmate said:

Usual rubbish "photo op" comment. He is showing respect to a great Aussie legend on behalf of us all.Embassy assists in all death/repatriation of its citizens. What.dealings  have you had with Oz Embassy?.… 

If the Australian Embassy is similar to the British one, then yes.

Almost useless in life but very supportive in death. (When my wife died suddenly.)

7 hours ago, Olmate said:

more than you'd ever know. This poor excuse for an ambassador never gets involved in any way, leaves it all up to embassy staff. NOT photo op rubbish comment at all  There's a big difference between dealing with expat deaths & repatriation from behind a desk ( which is the norm ) and going out of his way to be seen and have his pic taken on site. It had nothing to do with respect for Warnie. He ONLY did it because it was an opportunity to big note himself. He wouldn't bat an eyelid or leave the embassy if it was you or me. 

• Haha 1