Fascinating ‘then and now’ photos show how Hua Hin has (and hasn’t) changed

webfact

270248736_3064079103865707_3195225711901545400_n-696x467.jpg

Image: ประจวบมีปราณ

By Jonathan Fairfield

Hua Hin is changing all the time and sometimes it’s easy to forget how things were before.

No longer the sleepy fishing village it once was, the local authorities have plans to develop Hua Hin into a ‘smart city’ – a sign of how the town has developed.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Go back just over six years ago and BluPort, The Marriott, Holiday Inn, Vana Nava Water Park and True Arena were all yet to open.

A little over a decade ago, Soi 102 was considered by many to be a little out of town, while Soi 112 barely existed beyond the turning for the Banyan Golf Course.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/fascinating-then-and-now-photos-show-how-hua-hin-has-and-hasnt-changed/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-03-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

2008 I looked around Hua Hin for a place to live in the Thai side of town, I wasn't interested in being isolated in a "farang village/condo complex.

I rented for a year to get a real feel for the place

Prices were reasonable back then and made a couple of offers.

Eventually I held off and glad I did, the Hua Hin as it is now is a mess.

Agree, and loved passing through, w/overnight, on the way to Phuket, over the years, but you couldn't give me free accommodation (unless gulf-view surfside) to live there.  

Just now, KhunLA said:

Agree, and loved passing through, w/overnight, on the way to Phuket, over the years, but you couldn't give me free accommodation (unless gulf-view surfside) to live there.  

I pass through Hua Hin now and would rather stop at Pranburi or Ao Manao

much better

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I pass through Hua Hin now and would rather stop at Pranburi or Ao Manao

much better

Used to stop there coming from Udon Thani to Phuket, so good halfway stop. Over the years discovered Sam Roi Yot, PKK municipality / Ao Manao, Ban Krut, Thung Wua Laen/Chumphon on the way to Phuket, and stopped overnighting in HH.  

If surf was cooperating, didn't even bother continuing to Phuket, once I discovered  Ban Krut & Thung Wua Laen. ????

First 10 yrs here, it was twice a year, at least to Phuket, during school breaks.  Then stopped going for 10 yrs, as the appeal declined.

Went to Phuket last year, after that 10 yr break, during the 'situation', and it was the best ever ????    Unfortunately, never to be that way again, as too many tourist have already returned, unless another 'situation' arises ... ????

Enjoy PKK municipality / Ao Manao so much, decided to live here after the 'not so wee one' finished school in Udon Thani.  Not for everyone, to live here, but we love it, as fairly unchanged over the pass 20 yrs.  Most would find it boring, and agree with that, although & why we are out & about quite often.  Nice coming back to very quiet though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Fond memories of HH as it was the first place outside of Bangkok I visited in 1990.

Haven't been there in a while now so a return visit later this year is on the cards.

You will be shocked, I certainly was, 1990 was my first visit also, personally I preferred it back then

Used to have the only Burger King south of Bangkok (way before Samui, Ao Nang and Phuket et al got theirs). When driving up from the south, always used to divert into HuaHin just to get my Double Whopper fix lol ... 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:49 PM, South said:

Used to have the only Burger King south of Bangkok (way before Samui, Ao Nang and Phuket et al got theirs). When driving up from the south, always used to divert into HuaHin just to get my Double Whopper fix lol ... 

Actually 1 of the reason for a stopover, years ago, 12+ yrs ago ... ????

Now everyone offers up burgers, and some damn tasty ones.  Far better than fast food vendors, though only BK & Carl's are worth considering, in that market, and inconsistent at that.  I don't bother anymore, last couple years, as best burger is at home.

Burgers don't make the short list, when munching out of the house.