Where To Buy A Futon?

jumnien

Why in gods name would you want a futon!!! The most uncomfortable things known to mankind!

Why not just by one of those fold away foam matress things from Tesco or Big C - you can get some pretty thick one which would be far more comfortable than a futon!

Got one at Habitat at Discovery Center some years ago. Don't recall the price, but it wasn't more than 14-15 thousand Baht for a simple frame and futon mattress equivalent to one I bought stateside for about $300.

If I recall correctly, Pandawood in Samutprakarn makes them OEM for export for a number of American companies, so likely some still find their way to local shops.

:o

There is one company here in Bangkok. Local made and high quality! www.bangkokfuton.com

They look great and quite comfortable!

Thanks for that advice, flightcrew, as I've been quite keen to buy one for quite some time. Had one in Auckland many years ago, and it's the best thing I've ever slept on, bar none. But the mattress was pure cotton, though, unlike the Bangkok one which is kapok -- but that should be OK. Kapok is flammable, but I don't smoke in bed and I'm too old to create any bedroom fireworks. Can't remember what the base of my previous one was, but the Bangkok one advertises recycled teakwood. It should do the trick and look attractive as well. Bit pricey at 31,600 baht. But if it comes with the damsel in their advert, then this could very well be my last post for a while. Cheers.

Wit.

I was looking for a quality wooden-framed futon like you see sold in the United States. Does anyone know of any made in Thailand that would make a good sofa and double as a foldout bed for guests?

About ten years ago when the Futon bed was the latest bedroom excitement, my wife bought one for our teenage son. Bad buy.

Within one week, the whole bedroom was covered with ultra-fine dust. Vacuumed the room. The next week, more dust. Vacuumed again. Yes, more dust. We threw out the mattress, and gave the bed frame to The Salvation Army.

Just so you know.

I got one at Index Living Mall for about 17,000 baht (metal frame not wood though).

Seemed pretty expensive to me, but good cheap futons are hard to find here (i looked around quite a bit). Back in the US you can go to Walmart and get the same thing for like $150.

"Futon" is one of a myriad of Japanese words and things that I try to stay clear of. Others include; "karaoke", "sushi" and "bukkake". :o

I agree on the two former, I disagree with the two latter.

I looked all over Bangkok for a futon - all I could find were crap sofa-beds. THe closest things to futons were cheap metal frame jobs at Index - ugly and looked like they'd last 6 months.

Finally, I stumbled on a flier for Bangkok Futon when I was shopping at Villa. I called and asked where their showroom was. It turns out they don't have a showroom, but they bought a futon over to my condo and set it up for me so I could check it out. It's just a Thai woman and her husband who run it - the guy is mad about futons. Their website is www.bangkokfuton.com.

Anyway, they obviously took great pride in their futon. I ended up buying it. It was 29,600 though. I guess they've gone up in price since then.

I am incredibly happy with my purchase. It is extremely comfortable, versatile, and very beautiful. Unfortunatley, it did not come with the model on the website.

For anyone looking for a futon, I can definitely recommend Bangkok Futon - I am very satisfied.

Alex D

Bangkok

There is one company here in Bangkok. Local made and high quality! www.bangkokfuton.com

They look great and quite comfortable!

Flightcrew,

Thank you for your link, I did bring 9 years ago my futon from Australia with me, and really need to have a new one as it was 12 years old .

I post few years ago about futon in Bangkok , did not get any replies.

I ring the company www.bangkokfuton, and got a new mattress, did not get the frame as I already have one.

I saw the futon and the frame, look cool if you want one extra comfortable bed in a small flat, easy to convert from sofa to bed!

I have been sleeping a lot in hotels and out my place, but to tell you the truth only my futon , give me a good sleep !

I find off course they futon different, much more comfortable to laid down and look at the television, but for sleeping I still miss mine , perhaps will take me longer to get accustomed to it ! the old one was cotton and wool .

Anyway for people looking at futon, now we have a new place to look for !

I have always been surprised that they are not available here...

my brother had one in the UK and it was great... and cheap.... and in all these little student bedsits they have would be ideal

a bed takes up too much room in a small room.... a matress on the floor is awkward to clean around....

for the kids rooms a futon is ideal and for guests