CIGNA vs. Pacific Cross Health Insurance

trav2021

Thanks to all who recommended AA insurance brokers.  They have been extremely helpful in narrowing down my health insurance options. At this point it’s down to CIGNA and Pacific Cross.

For me (65, male, one pre-existing: hypertension) Pacific Cross’ premiums are substantially lower than CIGNA’s. Looking for feedback, experiences, etc. on which of these two is better to work with (especially when it comes to paying claims which I hope I never submit, but also customer service, premium increases, ease of policy renewal, etc.). Thanks. 

Edited by trav2021

Is one  a Thai company and the other an international company ?

Threads I have read in the past indicate that Pacific Cross attempt not to pay out for a claim and they increase the premiums if you have had a claim - comments on this forum were the deciding factor for me not choosing he very favourable ‘appearing' premiums of Pacific Cross. 

Sheryl along with others know their stuff when it comes to insurance.

I would use an international insurance if you actually want cover, or if it is just to meet healthcare for your visa then use a thai insurer.  if things go wrong with the Thai insurer it is not like the west where complaints are acted on and if not you are free to post your experience, and if not satisfied you can go to the ombudsman,  throw in the strict libel/defamation laws in Thailand. you have very little come back

Edited by howerde

I've had both, and am currently using Pacific Cross. They refuse payouts on claims regularly. I have an appointment to see my agent later this week. I reviewed the claim with her PRIOR to submitting it and they still refused it. Standard practice for ALL insurance companies worldwide. Give them enough pressure, argue, ask to speak to supervisor, etc. PRESSURE is what works with these idiots. Take the lower cost policy as it's always the same with every insurance company.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You will need to check, but I believe Cigna's health insurance products are community rated. This means that the premiums will go up each year based upon Cigna's overall claims experience and expense factors. I'm not sure how granular this gets and whether it is specific to age bands, but each year your premium is likely to go up regardless of your claims history.

Pacific Cross takes into account your individual claims history. This is on top of premium increases related to transitioning from one age band to another.  I think PC does give discounts if you have no claims.

In my opinion, community rated insurance is better in terms of risk transfer, especially if you are in an age group that tends to have claims. You may save money with PC's approach if you stay healthy. A big "if" after a certain age.

Also ask your broker specifically how the two insurers view pre-existing conditions. I have heard that, for example, one will exclude certain claims in their entirety (heart attack, stroke for those with type 2 diabetes) while the other will only exclude those types of claims if they are related to the pre-existing condition. Not sure how they would differentiate, however. Perhaps Sheryl can advise on this.

The differences in premium levels may be a result of differing claims-paying attitudes and/or differing internal cost and expense structures. A large multinational company probably has several layers of management that a local or regional insurer may not have. In their favor, they may also take a more dispassionate view of claims and be easier to secure payment from. Ask your broker to give you his opinion on general claims paying attitude of each insurer.

If you take out insurance with an offshore insurer, you would not have recourse to the OIC here in Thailand if you have a dispute. You may or may not find it convenient to approach the insurance regulator in whichever jurisdiction the insurer is licensed. On the other hand, other countries may have better regulations with respect to consumer protection. Ask your broker about this and the degree to which they would support you in approaching either the OIC or an offshore regulator.

Finally, ask your broker about the Standard & Poors or AM Best rating of each insurer and what that means with respect to claims paying ability. Some health insurers may have been stressed by Covid-19 claims over the past couple of years and this may be more important now than in the past.

I looked at both but Cigna didn’t consider my hypertension (controlled well with medication) to be a preexisting condition. Pacific Cross did call it a preexisting condition and therefore they wouldn’t cover anything related to it (I.e., heart). Cigna was more expensive but I went with it since I was fully covered. 

AA was helpful as I worked through this 3 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Anyone know if the said companies do background checks in health history abroad (home country)?

Thanks

Felt

They will ask you to provide a document, my GP back in the UK printed off my history, you need to make sure the application form agrees with that otherwise claim denied and they high 5 each other round the office

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They will ask you to provide a document, my GP back in the UK printed off my history, you need to make sure the application form agrees with that otherwise claim denied and they high 5 each other round the office

Thanks, I have so far only applied and filled out the forms truthfully but have not been asked for any documentation from abroad neither have I got any approval yet.

Felt

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 8:40 AM, DFPhuket said:

I looked at both but Cigna didn’t consider my hypertension (controlled well with medication) to be a preexisting condition.

Yes correct, I am the same, and have no exclusions at all with Cigna Global. It is so difficult to choose policies I found it a nightmare, but the brokers Pacific Prime were helpful. AA were not when I tried them previously.

• Like 1