Marine Officials Mull Plan to Build Cruise Ship Terminal on Koh Samui

webfact

2126a53694b8e65bbae3c1660b61d692_small.jpg

by Krajangwit Johjit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s marine officials are considering building a cruise ship terminal on Koh Samui, a popular Gulf of Thailand island off the coast of Surat Thani province, in order to accommodate cruise ship arrivals and improve tourist safety.

The Marine Department has identified Laem Hin Khom on the southwest tip of Koh Samui as a suitable location for constructing a deep-water terminal after preliminary discussions. The facility is expected to be large enough to dock two cruise ships, 80 yachts, and six ferries at the same time.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

To fund the construction, officials are considering a public-private partnership model, with the government covering costs for land expropriation and terminal construction and a major private firm covering equipment and port maintenance.

In order to attract more tourists and create more jobs, the Ministry of Transport has also advocated for the construction of additional cruise ship terminals in Thailand.

Prior to the pandemic, Koh Samui, Phuket, and Chon Buri’s Laem Chabang were among Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations, frequented by cruise ships from all over the world.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

"two cruise ships, 80 yachts, and six ferries"... you got to give them credit for their optimism....all those foreigners pouring in from the cruise ships and yachts spending billions of baht. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grain said:

"two cruise ships, 80 yachts, and six ferries"... you got to give them credit for their optimism....all those foreigners pouring in from the cruise ships and yachts spending billions of baht. 

Cruise ships and private yachts already come - I live by the sea on Samui and I see quite a few - and the lack of a proper marina might limit the number...????

I don't take many photos of cruise ships and yachts, but in between there are some more exciting one arriving, like this (well known) yacht for example that so far has anchored up twice in the bay where I live (it's Russian owned, so might not come back for a while)...

w20200205_IMG_9668_super-yacht-A.jpg.38fa8f2d2f46ec57361c35513c919f5e.jpg

• Like 1