Cortisone injection in Bangok?

ricklev

Where can I go in Bangkok to get a cortisone injection in my shoulder for a suspected rotator cuff tear or strain?  I am looking for a place that is cheap and with the least drama about it.  Thanks!

I went to a orthopedic clinic in Chiang Mai about 8 months ago (Dr. Chanakarn) and the doctor evaluated my shoulder pain and suggested trying a shot of cortisone and seeing how that worked before going to the expense of an MRI.  It really helped a lot and I was pain free for many months.  Now the pain has returned at a minor level after regular exercise and I want to try another shot.  

The fee in Chiang Mai was 600 baht.  300 for the exam and 300 for the cortisone injection.  

I may wait until my next trip to Chiang Mai but if anyone has a Bangkok recommendation I would appreciate it.  Obviously not as cheap as Chiang Mai but not 3-4000 baht either.  

I get cortisone injections in both knees every 6 months at "Bangkok Christian Hospital" on Silom, about 300 meters from Sala Daeng BTS. Dr. Somchai Kuptniratsaikul.

No appointment needed, just bring your passport and register at front dest.  I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes.   Usually B2000 for 2 injections.

I did pretty thorough shopping 3 years ago and this was the best price I could find with an actual orthopedic Dr.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

According to Google cortisone injections can make it worse long term. I have a labral tear in the shoulder, flared up recently so i limited the cause and it's getting back to normal now, so if exercise is causing yours change the exercise

I was told overly frequent use of cortisone can soften bones and make them vulnerable.  I have to wait 6 months between injections though the pain relief from cortisone only lasts about 3 months for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I get cortisone injections in both knees every 6 months at "Bangkok Christian Hospital" on Silom, about 300 meters from Sala Daeng BTS. Dr. Somchai Kuptniratsaikul.

No appointment needed, just bring your passport and register at front dest.  I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes.   Usually B2000 for 2 injections.

I did pretty thorough shopping 3 years ago and this was the best price I could find with an actual orthopedic Dr.

Thanks.  I'm already registered there so maybe I'll give him a try. 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

I was told overly frequent use of cortisone can soften bones and make them vulnerable.  I have to wait 6 months between injections though the pain relief from cortisone only lasts about 3 months for me.

Thanks. 

Edited by ricklev

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

According to Google cortisone injections can make it worse long term. I have a labral tear in the shoulder, flared up recently so i limited the cause and it's getting back to normal now, so if exercise is causing yours change the exercise

Thanks. I've only had one previous shot 8 months ago and my doctor in Chiang Mai thinks another one is reasonable before doing an MRI. 

Better to find the cause, than continue to treat the symptom, especially with cortisone.  Agree with changing up the exercise routine and see how that goes.  There's a few things that could go wrong in the shoulder, so either find out what it is, or give it more time by itself.

I screwed something in my one shoulder, lifting weight I shouldn't have, and it took years to correct itself completely.

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Better to find the cause, than continue to treat the symptom, especially with cortisone.  Agree with changing up the exercise routine and see how that goes.  There's a few things that could go wrong in the shoulder, so either find out what it is, or give it more time by itself.

I screwed something in my one shoulder, lifting weight I shouldn't have, and it took years to correct itself completely.

Shoulders do take time.  I dislocated a shoulder joint almost 3 years ago and I still get the occasional jolt of pain if I move the wrong way.  Took close to a year to get full motion back.

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My orthopedist said that in his experience some people do not have new flair ups of pain after 1 or 2 shots. I think there's a mind-body interaction going on there. But I agree with you. 

Edited by ricklev