Opening a Thai Bank Account for my Half Thai child ....(We chose K-Bank not SCB)

So being a long time SCB customer I went down with my son Age 14 years and asked to open a Bank account in his name.

They said "CANNOTttttttttttttt" !

But can open joint account with me but No ATM card or App.

SCB said come back when he's 15 years old.

We went on my son's 15th Birthday as he was keen so get his own account.

Again "CANNOTttttttttttttt"...

I replied "Excuse me but you said CAN last time we were tried to open.

SCB "Yes Can but you have to go change his Thai Id first to an Id for a 15 year old cos then it says Mr not Master"

Went to the Amphur/Tessabaan but there was a Do on and no parking and the place was rammed so we decided to try another day.

Anyway we went to Kasikorn Bank and they opened it immediately, no fuss, no "CANNOTttttttttttttt", same Master Id.

Interestingly enough they also said they could open for my 12 year old too. I'll be trying next weekend on that one ....

Just FYI as have read the 15 year old Master Id was required...

I guess different Banks have different rules. I thought it was due to a law.

AND on a side note on the same day TrueMove told me he had to be 20 years old to convert his pre-paid SIM to a post paid SIM !

6 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

AND on a side note on the same day TrueMove told me he had to be 20 years old to convert his pre-paid SIM to a post paid SIM !

This is because a minor cannot enter into a contract, even willingly. A post pay account is contract based.

If True gave your son a post pay SIM then they would have absolutely no way at all of recovering any unpaid amounts from your son as he cannot be sued for breach of contract.

• Like 1

This post really highlights that banking services are disappointingly quite often at the discretion of the cashier (first line of defence so to speak). I have found that if one is familiar with the branch, that often speaking to someone who knows you first can [ay dividends...................... Failing that another bank or branch is often the back up required as is the case with the OP here, thank goodness.................

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

This is because a minor cannot enter into a contract, even willingly. A post pay account is contract based.

If True gave your son a post pay SIM then they would have absolutely no way at all of recovering any unpaid amounts from your son as he cannot be sued for breach of contract.

Noted Thanks BlackCab, I wondered why True didn't want to attract/keep young customers considering what you can do legally when you're 15/16/18 etc !