Entering Laos by land when an Immigration Department said this is not an option.

xyza

Hi

We have a Laos family member who has been told by the Sakhon Immigration Department she has to leave Thailand by April 28.

The department said she cannot enter Laos by land and has to fly into Laos. As far as I know the border into Laos is open so why would that be?

To fly at the moment the costs are very high and there are no direct flights. Many flights are taking 20 – 44 hours and are stopping in other countries before arriving in Laos!

I found a direct flight and reasonable price on May 1, but the family member has to leave by April 28 when costs are expensive and there are no direct flights into Laos.

The family member lives reasonably close to the Laos border.

Does anyone here know the contact details for Immigration on the Thai – Laos border?

Why wouldn’t she be able to enter her own country at the Thai - Laos border? The comment makes no sense.

That is weird I rechecked prices and flight times an hour or so later and now I am finding direct flights and normal prices for leaving Udon Thani to Laos. Before I was seeing quotes for $1000 and up. and stop overs in Singapore or Vietnam on the way to Vientiane which was nuts. Maybe there was a error with the flight systems showing on line when I was checking. Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

Skyscanner was one of the ones I originally used which was showing those inflated prices and times but now it is showing normal prices and times. Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, xyza said:

Skyscanner was one of the ones I originally used which was showing those inflated prices and times but now it is showing normal prices and times. Thanks for your reply.

Be careful though, I don't think that Thai Smile, Thai or Air Asia are actually flying at the moment. They may take bookings and cancel the flights? But I think they've postponed flights to Laos until at least 1 May. I believe Lao Airlines is the only one actually flying at the moment.