Moo Baan Garbage Collection

What's the story with garbage collection on Samui these days.

We live in a Moo Baan which use to get regular collection by a small garbage truck.

That's disappeared for the last two months.

Wondering if that would be a local Gov truck and I need to check with Tessabaan ?

Also if that truck does  not anymore come anymore.... am I suppose to leave garbage bags down at the main road 400 mts away ?

The Tessabaan have been cutting back on services for quite a while now.

It started with them withdrawing lots of the green bins spread about the island at least 6 or 7 years ago. (Maybe more?)

Their argument is that not many people are paying the 'garbage' tax every month.

I have noticed that garbage 'drop spots' around where I live are disappearing. Especially where there are developments built for foreigners.

Even though we pay the garbage tax for our customers, the government trucks won't negotiate the small lanes on the development. So we have to rent a small plot of land where their trucks will go, and transport our garbage to a 'cage' that we have built there.

I notice lots of people 'dumping' their garbage in our cage. I am pretty sure that they do not pay the tax. Most people that I know - don't pay it.

• Like 2

We have for about 10 years now a "Keep Samui Clean" garbage collector coming on motorbike with sidecar twice to three times a week to take our garbage bags and other used stuff, including clear bags with things for recyckling. Those motorbikes with sidecar drives into the small sois - and also into private roads like ours - the fee for the service is affordable 300-400 baht a month per household.

OP - and others - could try to ask their local poo yai ban (Head of village) if such service is available in their area.

Of course, if garbage collection is not paid for, garbage is not collected.

Unfortunately some of the places people dump their garbage - I unfortunately see folks just throwing a bag there when passing in car - looks like a mess and are negatively commented by tourists, not the best image for Samui, which should be able to be done a lot better and more sufficient, but that's a personal point of view.

• Like 1