Visa Exemption extension question

I have now firmed up my travel plans to Thailand but have not yet booked. I need to fly on the 3rd (or 4-6 April) 

My wife and my son are in Khao Kho now and have a return ticket dated 31st May and I will return with them on that day.

By my calculations I will need to get a 30 day visa extension for 1900 Baht at Immigration by the 2nd May which is day 30 since arrival on 3rd April.

But 2nd May lists as Labour day in the Public holidays - will Immigration be closed on this day?

If I go to Immigration on the 3rd May (day 31) will it be OK? or should I delay my departure for a day or two for safety?

Can the extension be obtained prior to the end of the 30 days (say on April 29) and added on or must the extension be on the last day to get the full 30 day extension?

I could also apply for a tourist visa for 60 days from the Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia where I live.

But the paper work is onerous (the form https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/wp-content/uploads/V3Tourist-VISA-COVID-FORM-NEW-WEBSITE.pdf)

It almost duplicates the Thailand Pass requirements. The upside is it's slightly cheaper at $60 (about 1400 baht)

But takes about 5 business days plus snail mail time so not sure if it will arive in time.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks folks. I have had the pre-dated extension confirmed in this post and another.

I am now travelling on the 6th of April, thanks to a Super Saver seat at $836 becoming available while I was faffing around with which day to leave!!

Previously best price was about $980 - $1070 with Thai. Sometimes you get lucky!

My wife is Thai and needs a new passport as her old one expires in April. My son is dual citizen.

When we go to Phitsanulok we can do both at the same time as they are in almost the same building.

Now I can get my visa extension anytime before 5th May - phew!

So plane booked, accomodation in Bangkok booked for Test & Go

Now just need the Thailand pass and I'm ready to go!!

• Like 1