Burgers! Triple O Whitespot! Now Open!

I saw the press release yesterday about the newly opened Triple O Whitespot Burger at Central World.

However, what I noticed in the press release is that the burgers don't seem big (from the picture) and the combo seems expensive at 200 to 270 per meal.

Anyone tried it already?

1) How big is the burger? Quarter Pound, Half Pound...?

At 200-270 baht it should be big. But is it?

2) Is it really good?

White Spot restaurants are one of the best things about British Columbia, Canada. They have been operating for years and years. They were the original drive-in restaurant, where they served you in your car. Going to the White Spot for burgers and milkshakes is amongst some of my earliest memories.

The food is excellent- the Triple O burger sauce is unique, the recipe is a supposedly carefully guarded company secret.

I hope that this new BKK international location lives up to their reputation.

Anyone interested can check out the websites....

The Original Vancouver Restaurants

International locations in Hong Kong

White Spot restaurants are one of the best things about British Columbia, Canada. They have been operating for years and years. They were the original drive-in restaurant, where they served you in your car. Going to the White Spot for burgers and milkshakes is amongst some of my earliest memories.

The food is excellent- the Triple O burger sauce is unique, the recipe is a supposedly carefully guarded company secret.

I hope that this new BKK international location lives up to their reputation.

Anyone interested can check out the websites....

The Original Vancouver Restaurants

International locations in Hong Kong

Saw the thing in the Nation also and was in the area today and dropped by, it is on the 7th floor opposite the theater........ordered just a cheeseburger and a small coke.

The burger is thin, which I like, but pretty big, comes with tomato and lettuce and you can add on bacon, mushrooms and grilled onions for a cost. The sauce I saw described on a copycat website was a honey-mustard mayonaise which sounded creepy to me but was pretty good as was the meat...............the place is still new, give it time but I would say one of the better in Bkk, I will go back. The meal was B200, a tad pricey but was ok with it.

By the way they serve breakfast sandwiches all day long as well for those missing McD's

Half way thru my meal a manager came by and asked: "do you love it?" I think she meant like it, just the wrong choice of words :o

I saw the press release yesterday about the newly opened Triple O Whitespot Burger at Central World.

However, what I noticed in the press release is that the burgers don't seem big (from the picture) and the combo seems expensive at 200 to 270 per meal.

Anyone tried it already?

1) How big is the burger? Quarter Pound, Half Pound...?

At 200-270 baht it should be big. But is it?

2) Is it really good?

I had a combo today (Bacon cheese burger with fries and coke) for 250 baht.

I was the only customer about 3PM and the all-Thai staff looked very anxious to get someone in there. The restaurant is very large (easily seats 50 or more people) and is located on the 7th floor of Central World outside of the supermarket, close to Pizza Pizza Restaurant. It is not part of the food court.

The burger itself was mushy and didn't taste fresh although the menu states and re-states that their meat is chilled and never frozen. I had asked that the burger be well done which it was not (it was medium at best). Bacon on the burger was Canadian Bacon (I think) which was excellent and without a doubt the best part of the burger. Tomatoe and lettuce were fine and fresh also.

Burger comes in a huge bun but the burger itself was not any larger than a quarter pounder. The sauce was tasty but very heavy and all I could think about while eating was how many calories it had.

The French Fries were excellent and without doubt the best I have eaten anywhere in Bangkok. They were much better than McDonalds fries which many consider to be the standard for judging fries.

I went with a Thai person but she looked at the menu and prices and commented that it was not suprising that no one (esp. Thais) was eating there. She left for the food court.

One annoying thing was that I could not get the catsup to pour no matter how hard I pounded on the bottle. I asked one of the gals if they had a knife to help out. She took the catsup bottle and went away for five minutes. She came back with a small poured paper cup of catsup. While waiting for her return, I tried another bottle from another table and it didnt pour either. Dont know the problem there.

After I ordered and while waiting for the food, I looked thru one of the small menus that they had on hand. I saw what sounded like a good milk shake on the menu and thought briefly about ordering a milk shake. The thing that stopped me was the price -- 160 baht for a milk shake-- whoa!!! That is close to $5 for a milk shake?? They must be really great but I suspect that very few people will ever order them.

Someone should instruct the staff not to stand around and stare at their sole customer while he is eating.

I think next time I want a burger, it will again be an "Elvis" burger at Greyhound. Greyhound's price for very good fries and and a better burger (except for the Canadian bacon) are 160 baht.

White Spot has Canadian origins and also has several branches in Hong Kong according to the menu.

I think White Spot will have to re-think their pricing scheme if they want to stay in business for long in Thailand

having grown up about 3 blocks from the origional location in marpole, vancouver, near the foot of granville, and watching it burn down. i have to say i am stoked.

i have to say i am stoked.

I have to say that I am also! Sorely tempted to head down there this weekend and check it out.

But - also kinda paranoid about it not being the right stuff / real thing. Equally tempted to wait for a review by another west coast canuck who knows what a Triple O burger should be.

If you go before I do- let us know how it measures up!

Thanks for telling us it's opened now!

I always go in HK - really like the burgers & fries there. They usually put too much sauce in though and gets v. messy.

My husband had a blueberry milkshake in HK from there. It was really good - but v. thick and v. rich.

well, I'm off to central world tonight!

from the descriptions on this thread the burgers, fries and shakes sound appealing...

the trade name is unfortunate; 'white spot' conjures up an image of something unwanted that appears on adolescent skin that needs to be squeezed rather than something to be ingested...

('triple whitespot' ??? an explosion on the bathroom mirror :D:o )

• 3 weeks later...

i love it when "it" explodes onto the bathroom mirror. kinda makes you feel like it was done properly and completely...

Anyway, back to our burger:

Dropped by Triple O yesterday at Central World but didn't push thru with a purchase after staff told me that the burger was only 4 oz.

200 Baht for a meal with an average sized (albeit not in bkk) burger? no thanks... I don't mind paying high if i get what I pay for.

By the way, it was a saturday afternoon with A LOT of people in the mall, yet only one table of Triple O was occupied with these 2 guys.

Triple O better adjust their prices or they're going down...

Edited by junkofdavid2

We went the other day.

It was OK, but I felt not as good as in HK. The sauce seemed a little different. But my husband still liked it. We thought they seemed smaller than in HK too - we didn't get the absolutely stuffed feeling and could finish the meal very easily.

Still like the fries. Didn't have the milkshake.

Yes, problems with the ketchup! The manageress came round and she said the trick was to treat the bottle gently: a little shake and then hold it at an angle on to the place (not 90 degrees like I was doing).

Also noticed this place a while back. The staff seemed excited to see a farang (me) sniffing at their menu and tried to lure me in. As I have never heard of this chain and their cult status means nothing to me, observing the empty place, the desperate looking staff, the high prices (shocking milk shake price!, call Weho from Pattaya!), and the small looking pictures of to me strange looking burger food made it very easy for me to move on. I think they are going to have big problems. They could fix it maybe in two ways. Lower prices. Hand out some kind of promo flyers about their cult status and history. When I hear special White Spot sauce, I think carpet stain.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, sorry, Kids, I live three blocks from a White Spot (it means really clean, not a zit missile on the mirror). Triple O (6oz), home fries and creamy coleslaw, C$9.99 (Bt300). Oh my gawd, best burger ever. I usually go with a friend and we split it as it's too big for me. I love the sauce.

The ketchup must be Heinz (don't you know their Carly Simon commerical "Anticipation"? hehe).

Sounds pricey for BKK but what are A&W and McD's prices these days?

$5 milkshake -- that's right out of Pulp Fiction.

White spot? I wonder what the chances of the best burger joint in the world coming to Thailand are, White Castle. They were the original Fast Food burger joint from the 1920s. Those burgers are so awesome that they made an entire movie about some stoners trying all night to find a "castle".

OK, I am not all that big on burgers period. A quality one once in a while is nice though. Between White Castle and In and Out, there is no comparison. White Castle burgers are called SLIDERS because they are so greasy they slide down your mouth. These aren't normal American burgers. They are a bizarre variant which I imagine was invented by a greedy cardiologist.

post-37101-1183622439_thumb.jpg

Sliders are kind of considered to be druggie and junko chow. We don't need this in Thailand!

post-37101-1183622174.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I had a chance to try them out recently, even though I rarely eat burgers. It was good, but I wouldn't call it great. I'd prefer an In-N-Out double-double. The fries I thought were excellent. Had to try the milkshake after all the talk here, and nothing fantastic about it. For the price I doubt I'll be back, even if I was a burger lover. However, I doubt I'd even be able to go back if I wanted to, as I don't see them lasting long, with not a single other customer in the place. Definitely they are better quality than the big chain fast food places, so if you don't mind paying the premium and are in the area you'll probably be satisfied.

Isn't there a burger place called Garage Burgers on the same floor in the same mall? A Thai place I think, but it looked very good. Is it?

I agree this White Spot place is going to need some kind of Canuck invasion to make it.

Edited by Jingthing

You guys are slamming it before you even go.. Give it a chance... Been to both WHite spot and white Castle and White spot was a much better burger enless you like eating grease. As for 250 baht being pricey. Give me a break and loosen those purse strings bunch of tightwads..

Isn't there a burger place called Garage Burgers on the same floor in the same mall? A Thai place I think, but it looked very good. Is it?

I agree this White Spot place is going to need some kind of Canuck invasion to make it.

The Garage is in All-Seasons Place, definately Thai, had the meat loaf there and it had a hot dog cooked in it!?!? Lots of people from U.S. Embassy eat there tho.

On Sunday I was driving down Silom and noticed almost next to the Silom Complex by Saladaeng BTS and new burger place was getting ready to open. Mikes Place appears to be a branch of the original in Chiang Mai, a search on the forum shows up some good reviews, we can only hope!

I think there is a new Garage Burger at Central World on the same floor as White Spot. On the path between the two movie theater complexes. Maybe it is another burger place and I am remembering incorrectly, but I think I remember it was Garage and it looked much more inviting than White Spot.

I think there is a new Garage Burger at Central World on the same floor as White Spot. On the path between the two movie theater complexes. Maybe it is another burger place and I am remembering incorrectly, but I think I remember it was Garage and it looked much more inviting than White Spot.

Yes, there is a burger place where you described it. Not sure of the exact name, but it sounds correct, being it was decorated in an automobile theme. The pictures did look appealing, but didn't try it out. Then I also saw the MOS burger place on one of the lower levels. Plenty of burger choices there in Central World.

Tried Whitespot yesterday... had bacon cheeseburger with fries and coke for 250 baht.

Quite okay. But can get a slightly better bacon cheeseburger at Piri-piri and/or Greyhound with coke and fries for about 210.

Not disappointed, but probably wouldn't come back unless they drop prices. Based on how good it is compared to other places, it's price should be 199. :o

Tried Whitespot yesterday... had bacon cheeseburger with fries and coke for 250 baht.

Quite okay. But can get a slightly better bacon cheeseburger at Piri-piri and/or Greyhound with coke and fries for about 210.

Not disappointed, but probably wouldn't come back unless they drop prices. Based on how good it is compared to other places, it's price should be 199. :D

I'm from Vancouver, B.C. and spent many hours over the years in White Spot restaurants & Drive-Ins. This new Chinese franchise has to charge high prices to pay the exorbitant rent in Central World.

The B.C. Burger was OK, although the meat was actually rare, the fries were minimal but different from McD's shoestrings,a mere sliver of a dill pickle was provided to complete the experience for homesick West Coasters.

But that's where the similarity ended. The real White Spot has extra dills if you ask, heavy on the Triple O if you ask.

Frankly the guy outside Nana Plaza after 9pm makes a heck of a better burger for about 1/3rd of the W.S. price. I doubt they'll be there in a year although I wish them luck. (Maybe they should try Chicken Pick'ns?)

The real thing!

http://www.whitespot.com/whitespot/menulmlunch.htm If you're interested? :o

B.C. Burger Our 1/4 lb. beef burger with bacon & melting Cheddar. $9.29CDN

Not really cheaper than Bkk?

Edited by ratcatcher

You guys are slamming it before you even go.. Give it a chance... Been to both WHite spot and white Castle and White spot was a much better burger enless you like eating grease. As for 250 baht being pricey. Give me a break and loosen those purse strings bunch of tightwads..

no way im payng 250 baht for a burger, this is thailand....id pay that for a burger, potato salad, drink and onion rings though....

If I am reading this right, they shrunk the burger by 1/3rd compared to the original menu in Canada. Hey, if they want to add a skimpy micro burger to the menu for the Thai market, then add it on. But that is just wrong to make wholesale changes to the classic and pass it off under the franchise name. No thanks, I will steer well clear of that.