Burgers! Triple O Whitespot! Now Open!

...No thanks, I will steer well clear of that.

I walked by there this afternoon and apparently a lot of people agree with you. There were 3 customers and only one with a burger in front of him. The number of staff workers has always outnumbered the customers everytime I have been there. Maybe I am there at the wrong time of day??

Tried Whitespot yesterday... had bacon cheeseburger with fries and coke for 250 baht.

Quite okay. But can get a slightly better bacon cheeseburger at Piri-piri and/or Greyhound with coke and fries for about 210.

Not disappointed, but probably wouldn't come back unless they drop prices. Based on how good it is compared to other places, it's price should be 199. :D

I'm from Vancouver, B.C. and spent many hours over the years in White Spot restaurants & Drive-Ins. This new Chinese franchise has to charge high prices to pay the exorbitant rent in Central World.

The B.C. Burger was OK, although the meat was actually rare, the fries were minimal but different from McD's shoestrings,a mere sliver of a dill pickle was provided to complete the experience for homesick West Coasters.

But that's where the similarity ended. The real White Spot has extra dills if you ask, heavy on the Triple O if you ask.

Frankly the guy outside Nana Plaza after 9pm makes a heck of a better burger for about 1/3rd of the W.S. price. I doubt they'll be there in a year although I wish them luck. (Maybe they should try Chicken Pick'ns?)

The real thing!

http://www.whitespot.com/whitespot/menulmlunch.htm If you're interested? :o

B.C. Burger Our 1/4 lb. beef burger with bacon & melting Cheddar. $9.29CDN

Not really cheaper than Bkk?

they do extra triple o in bkk, i know because i have had it on my burger three times already.

while i agree it is not as good as the real thing, I think it is pretty fkking good.

as for the price, good lord, if you want lunch for 50 baht have 2 orders of khao man gai

Isn't there a burger place called Garage Burgers on the same floor in the same mall? A Thai place I think, but it looked very good. Is it?

I agree this White Spot place is going to need some kind of Canuck invasion to make it.

For all you burger lovers. I tried Mike's burger yesterday and very very dissapointed. Now however I had a burger as Mos Burger @ Central World! WOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was fantastic! No wonder people are queing up outside!

I concur that Big O is the best burger going in BKK now, ate there today. Burger was excellant, fries were fresh and served so hot I could not eat them at first, you do have to pay for it but in my mind it is worth it to have a high quality burger!

I spent the better part of the last two weeks at Central World and had many occasions to walk by Triple O-White Spot. I did not one single customer in the establishment for 12 days between the hours of 11 AM and 8 PM, based on ~ 6 walk-bys per day. I did want to try it but am very wary about food quality and freshness when there are no customers. At first I thought it might be the location, but "Pizza Pizza by Yanee" (excellent by the way) is right next door and is even more obscured by signage, yet it is packed with customers throughout the day. My guess is that the name, while it carries some cachet with people from Western Canada, is a bit off-putting, lengthy and difficult to pronounce, especially for Thais. I think the prices are less of a concern. In any event, if they don't start driving some business they will be closed soon.

Now contrast that with Mos Burgers (3rd floor, Central World), albeit a much easier name to pronounce and remember, and with a focus on Asian quality and palates, which during the same time periods rarely had fewer than 50 customers seated. The bulk of the customers are Thai, with a few Japanese. In 12 or so visits since it opened I have never seen a westerner. The big downside is the wait to place your order. I always like Mos from visits to Japan and from living in Singapore. Prices at Mos are about half (119 for a cheeseburger set vs. 260 at 3OWS) but I think the portion size at Mos is more of a deciding factor for Thai and Asian customers.

I'll try Triple O White Spot when I see just one customer eating there.

I spent the better part of the last two weeks at Central World and had many occasions to walk by Triple O-White Spot. I did not one single customer in the establishment for 12 days between the hours of 11 AM and 8 PM, based on ~ 6 walk-bys per day. I did want to try it but am very wary about food quality and freshness when there are no customers. At first I thought it might be the location, but "Pizza Pizza by Yanee" (excellent by the way) is right next door and is even more obscured by signage, yet it is packed with customers throughout the day. My guess is that the name, while it carries some cachet with people from Western Canada, is a bit off-putting, lengthy and difficult to pronounce, especially for Thais. I think the prices are less of a concern. In any event, if they don't start driving some business they will be closed soon.

Now contrast that with Mos Burgers (3rd floor, Central World), albeit a much easier name to pronounce and remember, and with a focus on Asian quality and palates, which during the same time periods rarely had fewer than 50 customers seated. The bulk of the customers are Thai, with a few Japanese. In 12 or so visits since it opened I have never seen a westerner. The big downside is the wait to place your order. I always like Mos from visits to Japan and from living in Singapore. Prices at Mos are about half (119 for a cheeseburger set vs. 260 at 3OWS) but I think the portion size at Mos is more of a deciding factor for Thai and Asian customers.

I'll try Triple O White Spot when I see just one customer eating there.

The point here is we are talking about western food, not what Thai's and Japanese think are western food.......we are trying to find western food.

I went to MOS and it was an imitation burger, too thick for Thai beef and about 1/3 of the way I started to get that taste, a thick burger cannot be made with Thai beef, the only place that comes close to it is Big Mango, bit close, no cigar.

Triple is quality you pay for and to not go in because nobody is there is odd, the service people are great and very nice

We went the other day.

It was OK, but I felt not as good as in HK. The sauce seemed a little different. But my husband still liked it. We thought they seemed smaller than in HK too - we didn't get the absolutely stuffed feeling and could finish the meal very easily.

Still like the fries. Didn't have the milkshake.

Yes, problems with the ketchup! The manageress came round and she said the trick was to treat the bottle gently: a little shake and then hold it at an angle on to the place (not 90 degrees like I was doing).

Old trick my stepfather taught me about ketchup in glass bottles....take off cap and point down, hit on the side, rotate, hit again, repeat, it comes out................thanks for plastic bottles

"Someone should instruct the staff not to stand around and stare at their sole customer while he is eating. "

yes agreed. this to me is the one complaint i have about shops and restauarnts in thailand. They've got half dozen people hanging around, doing nothing, staring at you, staring only broken by the quiet thai chit chat (gossiping about you) and giggles!

yikes.

• 5 weeks later...

I went there yesterday. The burger was just okay. Actually it kind of tasted like an A and W burger. To be honest the suace had very little taste. I think the food is a bit hyped up. The french fries were pretty good though. The burger just wasn't anything special in my view. The place is a bit hard to find in that place if you don't know where to go. It's inside the area on the top floor which sells packaged food; it might be the food court. It's hidden in the back next to the Pizza Pizza place.

I have tried the burgers at most if not all of the places mentioned. Some are better than others but none stand out. The best burger in Bangkok is at Bully's Tavern on Sukhumvit between Soi 4 and 2 (or is it 0) which, surprisingly, has not been mentioned previously. The burger is very tasty and better than the fare offered elsewhere. There is no problem with the quality of the meat, bun or pproportions as is the case elsewhere. You eat one and want another. The burger is served dry and you add your own condiments, i.e., ketchup, mustard, etc. The downside is that Bully's skimps on the lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion that accompany the burger (although they will provide more if requested). Bully's also skimps on the amount of fries, not chips, served with the burger which are excellent lthough not enough to satisfy. Bully's will charge extra for more fries. That said, still the best burger in town.

I tried Bully's and I must admit that I thought the Burger was excellent! Much like the Big Mango. Ice cold beer too!

This is Thailand, no fair comparing Khun Snake Head, it is good here by taste, not Canada, heh......but taste is all to one's own and having read many of your posts, still wrong but respectful

Hey, South Park boy, I went to one of the original White Spot restaurants in VANCOUVER not f*king Thailand. That's why I was depressed.

Stopped in for lunch this afternoon – I was the only customer. The food was good, better than the average Thai try at western food – but far from outstanding. The patty was so thin if I had picked it off the bun I could have probably seen thru it. Lettuce and tomato were above average for Thailand, pickle was a pickle but barely a big enough of a piece to bother with. The fries were pretty good but not quite my style – especially if I am going to add vinegar (I like my fries thinner). Considering the style of fry- very good.

I would rate the burger as one of the better availible in BKK, but not the best. I have had better at Big Mango (my results at Big Mango have varied greatly), Bully’s, and even O’Brian’s. The one thing this place might have on all the others is consistency – I cannot really judge this since I have only made one visit. But I have had at least one disappointing burger experience at each of the other places I mentioned and chain joints like this tend to be able to nail the consistency side of things.

If I offended you Jet I apologize, but I hope you got my point

555 no offense taken; what I wanted to stress was that I had my dissappointing burger at one of the original White Spots in Vancouver, not at the new shop in BKK. Many times, folks misunderstand my posts or have a different opinion.

UG has usurped snakehead, so feel free to think up another slag diminutive for me.

Edited by Jet Gorgon