no wi fi on phone

mercman24

3bb installed fibre to my condo, could see network on phone, then it vanished, tried reset on phone and router many times, reset network settings, says denied access, a guy was meant to ring at 10 am, it is now 12, grr, lady rang them still nothing any ideas you experts

If you can see other networks on your phone but not yours, then it means your router is not working properly.  If you see your network but can not connect then your connection settings are not correct. 

If you don't see your network you can try to reset your router to factory settings.  There is a pinhole somewhere on the router that is a reset button.  You will need a toothpick or some other small pointed object like a bent paper clip to put in the hole and press the button to reset. 

You would then need to connect to the router and set it up.  I have only done that on a laptop connecting to the router with a lan.  Apparently you can do it with a phone.  This is what they said you can do. 

Access the router settings from your smartphone
  1. Connect to your wireless network. ...
  2. Launch the web browser on your smartphone. ...
  3. Type the default router IP in the address bar. ...
  4. Enter the default router login details. ...
  5. Make the necessary changes.

The browser can be launching internet explorer, chrome, on an android or  Safari if you have an iphone. 

33 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

If you don't see your network you can try to reset your router to factory settings.

Would be careful with resetting a fiber optic router to factory default!

Settings and access parameters to 3BB often not on customer documents. And very specific parameters for the fiber connection to 3BB. Not an easy job to setup from factory default.

What is the current status?

Do you see your network on the phone?

Have you got the WiFi password from 3BB or did you write it down for them to setup?

Also the WiFi name: you wrote down what you like?

Like "jerry" result in "jerry_2.4_GHz" and "jerry_5_GHz".

(yes two names should be seen if your phone supports 5 GHz too).

If you live in a condo your phone should usually show a couple of WiFi networks from your close neighbors.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the input guys, yes can see loads of other networks, my guess it is a duff router, their conversation went like this," where is the router?, blank looks, guy must have said I got one on the van, it was not packed, and hear we are at 1-30, no phone call from them, and three from us, lady is not here I have two phone, same scenario, also laptop not connect, I wrote down password user for them

Edited by mercman24

Well 2 young kids show up, boy / g friend, I told him it was *** spent ages trying to hypnotise it, then he plugged MY laptop into it, messed about for over one hour, only to confirm our first diagnosis, bringing a new box tomorrow, duh !!

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Would be careful with resetting a fiber optic router to factory default!

I have 3bb and had a router problem connecting to my wireless printer.  I hit the reset and re-established the router settings but with a laptop connected to the router via a lan.  

Not a big deal.  Just typed in the http://192.168.1.1/login.html URL and it has a menu driven set up.  Most of the settings are automatic.  

15 hours ago, mercman24 said:

bringing a new box tomorrow, duh !!

Don't let them leave this time until you can successfully connect all devices to the "new" router. Both WiFi and wired.

Write down the names of the two WiFi networks (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and the passwords. Write down the router address (probably 192.168.1.1) and the username and password for the router.

15 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Well 2 young kids show up, boy / g friend

They were from 3BB?

I suspect it's a simple configuration issue, but a new router won't hurt.

22 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Don't let them leave this time until you can successfully connect all devices to the "new" router. Both WiFi and wired.

That is my tack on anything being installed......they are held hostage until I know for sure everything is working.

What pisses me off is no courtesy call, like yesterday, 3 calls by my friend, to ask what is going on, not one to me, four and a half hours later a knock on my door, I hope it was lost in translation, as the little <deleted> told my Thai friend I had been messing with the router, NO he was the one sticking co ax wire in the side of it, and using my laptop,i only switched router off and on, she rang again today, but here we are another half day waiting and no a kin phone call