What are my best options? Looking for advice

2 minutes ago, rapidwtr said:

thanks for this suggestion.  For now I am just looking for one more year once my current visa expires and this could include a month or two outside of Thailand before returning.  My long term vision is to get a retirement visa at 50.  Until then, I would like to experience living in other SE Asian countries...

That changes things a lot.

Apart from the fact that you have been in Thailand a lot, you could still manage to squeeze another year.

Border bounce alone gives 30+30(extension).

You can do that twice.

Visa exempt via air visa exempt 30+30.

Tourist visa via air 60+30.

Tourist visa by land border entry 60+30.

5 hours ago, Cletus said:

So for example, if you're studying the Thai language, you're supposed to go through beginner, intermediate, advanced, learning to read and write in just one year?! Wow I imagine that to be almost impossible. I've actually heard of people getting more than just one time ED visa, moreover, at the moment some schools are offering legit all inclusive package for studying the language, without the need to leave Thailand for the conversion tourist/exempt to NON O, clearly with some kind of arrangement with Immigration.

I think its possible to get more than one ED visa.  I obviously don't know what the rules are around this, but its hard to believe you can only get one ED visa per life.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That changes things a lot.

Apart from the fact that you have been in Thailand a lot, you could still manage to squeeze another year.

Border bounce alone gives 30+30(extension).

You can do that twice.

Visa exempt via air visa exempt 30+30.

Tourist visa via air 60+30.

Tourist visa by land border entry 60+30.

I really can't thank you and this board enough.  This is exactly what I needed...some ideas to help kick my creative thinking into a higher gear.  Extremely appreciative, thank you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rapidwtr said:

I really can't thank you and this board enough.  This is exactly what I needed...some ideas to help kick my creative thinking into a higher gear.  Extremely appreciative, thank you.

At 43 your a pup.

I came to Thailand first time 50+ so I had the retirement option.

If I had come to Thailand at 43 and could afford it then 100% would have purchased a PE (elite visa 10 yr).

Perhaps spend next 12 months to evaluate options.

Thailand has very flexible visa options along with visa waiver.

However other countries in SEA also.

I was previously buying four 3 month multi entry visas to Vietnam per year. 

Which country is your pp.

Vietnam also has visa exempt for some countries. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just asked to see how close to 50.

As you would be aware, when 50+ you can obtain non O retirement and have ongoing extensions.

Many folk under 50 use creative ways to live in Thailand.

Using tourist visas and visa exempt entries is possible.

Don't listen about  "too much about maximum number of days etc."

Most of that is rubbish.

Entries visa exempt via air have no limit however immigration can eventually refuse entry.

Entry via land borders visa exempt are limit 2 per calendar year. 

Each entry can be extended by 30 days.

If in your own country (your not) you can obtain METV. That visa gives you up to 90 day stay.

If prepared to live for periods in other countries such as Vietnam then options increase. 

Hi. Are you speaking of the same METV that was available at least from 2015 to 2019 that I used when I came to Thailand then?  I'm USA citizen.  I thought it was gone but now see both UB and you mentioning it this week. I loved that visa it really fit me like a glove and hope to get it again this coming fall. 

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I loved that visa it really fit me like a glove and hope to get it again this coming fall.

It's a ripper option for longer stay.

Obviously needs open borders and very little travel restrictions.

That will occur soon and the METV can provide 9 month stay.

Even longer with couple of visa exempt border bounces after it. 

20 hours ago, rapidwtr said:

thanks so much, I really appreciate your detailed response.

So it sounds like getting an ED Visa after my Volunteer visa would not be a problem.

What about back to back SETV that I could get from visa runs when say, KL opens up? How many of these can one get away with back to back?

I may be mistaken, but I thought STV can only be issued in your homecountry.  Others may know for sure.

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You make "marriage" sound like going to 7/11 for a coke.

Don't think OP even mentioned a gf. 

I know some lady here in the village is married to some foreigner, but the foreigner is never here.

I believe this lady made a deal with the foreigner to get married and he would send her some money every month or so. So for her it's a little bit easier life, while he can easily enter and leave Thailand.

34 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I know some lady here in the village is married to some foreigner, but the foreigner is never here.

I believe this lady made a deal with the foreigner to get married and he would send her some money every month or so. So for her it's a little bit easier life, while he can easily enter and leave Thailand.

Of course it happens meaning fake marriage for visa and extension reasons.

It isn't straight forward. 

Marriage extensions each year have requirements and in many cases involve a home visit. 

Yet still possible if desperate enough. 

11 hours ago, bestie said:

Sure you can. You mean you cannot get another ED Visa inside Thailand after one year of study at a language school.? that's true, because you have to leave the country after one year to apply for a new Ed Visa at the Thai Embassy. You can study any language over 3years or even more. Sure the formal process isn't so easy. If you study Thai language, the Embassy in some countries might test your thai skills before they issue you another visa. Like the one in Laos. The immigration can test you if you doing your 90day report. Isn't the best visa option.  But of course you can have more than one ED Visa in your passport. 

You cannot, unless it's from a University for the second one or an agent has worked their magic with immigration. Absolutely no language school will be able to get you a second ED visa legitimately. There's a few exceptions like the places in Chiang Mai that are run by the military but it's not possible generally. Informal schools will not give you the documentation you need because they know it's not possible and you'll get declined. Doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about either because immigration never test you when doing extensions, they don't even speak to you, let alone for 90 day reports.

Edited by Mikeheo

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Of course it happens meaning fake marriage for visa and extension reasons.

It isn't straight forward. 

Marriage extensions each year have requirements and in many cases involve a home visit. 

Yet still possible if desperate enough. 

I agree that yearly extensions become problematic. However, just using the fake marriage for Non O visas for 90-day visits is very straightforward and low risk unless the "wife" decides to make trouble.

1 hour ago, Mikeheo said:

Doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about either because immigration never test you when doing extensions, they don't even speak to you, let alone for 90 day reports.

While not common, it has been the practice at a few immigration offices to quickly check the Thai language ability of those on Non Ed visas/extensions to verify that they are legitimate students.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, Mikeheo said:

Getting another will be hard then, unless you want to go the university route, which is certainly nowhere near as flexible as the language school route. An agent can get you another 1 year ed extension for about 40-50k but you have to give adequate time, and it might cause issues for you in the future about further extensions or leaving and coming back into the country with your current passport.

Piffle.  You will have no problem getting another ed visa.

• Like 1