Spooky- What Is This?

Vegemite

post-18138-1181884337_thumb.jpgThis is probably not an Isaan topic but! They are Isaan people.

When we were in Bangkok last year 2006 we visited one of my wifes friends.

She lives in a hut built on sticks over the Chao Prya ( I allways spell that wrong ) River.

It was a great experience and I watched the sun go down with million dollar views and good people.

The people have very little money but their small houses are really clean.

There is power via wires laying over the iron rooves. The toilets drop strait into the river and in the wet season, they are knee deep in water inside the " house ".

Because I was the only White man to ever venture into the bowels of this place I was really wellcome and as such I was invited to' come inside ' several relatives houses.

While I was there I took some pics with a cheap digital ( Kodak ) camera.

But for the life of me I cant figure this one out. I dont know how to change pics on the computer so this pic is as it was taken.

The wife says that the statue is a bad one.

There were no lights anywhere to reflect and I still cant think of a logical excuse.

Any Ideads?

I would say it is a defect with the camera or an exposure problem. Rest of the pic looks blurred so I'd say the camera moved while the pic was being taken. Does seem strange that some of the pic is in focus though. I took a similar picture on a bus over there. Part of the pic was blurred with strange lights and other parts were in focus.

Edited by Jamie

I would say it is a defect with the camera or an exposure problem. Rest of the pic looks blurred so I'd say the camera moved while the pic was being taken. Does seem strange that some of the pic is in focus though. I took a similar picture on a bus over there. Part of the pic was blurred with strange lights and other parts were in focus.

Yes I thought the same, but, if the camera was moved so much as to send a snake like light out of one side of the statue around its neck and then over the shoulder, nothing would be in focus.

The camera had trouble with day and night changes but there were no lights in the room other than one bulb above.

Maybe it would be better to ask the photo forum.

What do you think?

Look at the fridge, you can see it too has similar movement lines, the reason the shrine in the foreground hasn't blurred much is simple the movement of the camera in your hand, it's possible to move your body - changing the background of the image whilst keeping the foreground in the same place/position.

The snake of light was a light that was on, it may not have been in the room but it was in the background somewhere. sorry to sound so un-mystical but in photography many things can happen and they're mostly explainable...

Shutter speed on cheap cameras is slower..so you can often get problems like this (exaggerated light flares etc)

As for the picture being in part focus..actually it isnt. The things closer are slightly more in focus than the background (which is normal) but still unfocused.

What is your camera make and specs?

Nothing really spooky here - there is a flourescent light on the ceiling just out of view. You can see the glow from it at the top of the picture about a third of the way from the top right hand corner.The streak of light is a reflection of that from the window on the back wall, note the bottom left of the streak and the first bend at the top right is a long oblongy shape. What has happened here is that the shutter has remained open for some reason during the shot - either by camera selection or due to a shutter fault. The camera has moved during this period producing the streak from the reflected light and the multiple images from everything at the back of the room which are illuminated dimly by the flourescent light (i.e. fridge, buddha shelf on the wall & photographs). At the end of the shot the flash has fired giving the main image. Everything between the camera and the flourescent light (Buddha table, statues, blue shirt) has been illuminated only by the camera flash and so appears as only one image.

That's my take on it anyway - hope it's of use. I'm more wondering what the actual subject of the picture was meant to be though - the backs of two statues or a fridge? :o

Nothing really spooky here - there is a flourescent light on the ceiling just out of view. You can see the glow from it at the top of the picture about a third of the way from the top right hand corner.The streak of light is a reflection of that from the window on the back wall, note the bottom left of the streak and the first bend at the top right is a long oblongy shape. What has happened here is that the shutter has remained open for some reason during the shot - either by camera selection or due to a shutter fault. The camera has moved during this period producing the streak from the reflected light and the multiple images from everything at the back of the room which are illuminated dimly by the flourescent light (i.e. fridge, buddha shelf on the wall & photographs). At the end of the shot the flash has fired giving the main image. Everything between the camera and the flourescent light (Buddha table, statues, blue shirt) has been illuminated only by the camera flash and so appears as only one image.

That's my take on it anyway - hope it's of use. I'm more wondering what the actual subject of the picture was meant to be though - the backs of two statues or a fridge? :o

Please keep your suedo-scientific explainations to your self if you don't know what you are talking about. Anybody with the proper expertise can easily see that what you have here is a ghost conjuring a plasma flash blob to distract the photographer while he streaks into the fridge to hide. Note the ethereal figure to the right of the fridge obviously caught in high speed motion. :D

Please keep your suedo-scientific explainations to your self if you don't know what you are talking about. Anybody with the proper expertise can easily see that what you have here is a ghost conjuring a plasma flash blob to distract the photographer while he streaks into the fridge to hide. Note the ethereal figure to the right of the fridge obviously caught in high speed motion. :D

Please keep youir pseudo spiritual explanation to yourself since you don't know what you are talking about. Anybody with the proper expertice can easily see that what you have here is a fire fly on adrenalin escaping from a predator (probably a bat) which does not show up in the photo because it is flying in stealth mode. :D

You want to see a light smear from a flaw in film or camera cool. You want to see a ghost or what ever cool.

I remember seeing some thing similar with a photo in a Taxi here in Bangkok where a smear of light that looked very close to the one in the above shoot was twisted around a monk chanting. Trick or not the driver insisted he just took the picture of a monk inside the Wat during the day using aviable light and was surprised by what came out when it was developed and considered it a omen of good luck.

It's obvious.

The boy statue had been into the fridge for some cold beer and when he drank it all couldn't make the loo in time and the other statue is saying, STOP peeing about, it`s splashing me in the face.

Bet there is a chamber pot just by his feet.

Keep taking the green tablets, that should cure your problem.

PS: whats with the hooler hooping spook on the right? eeeeeeeAaahhh

Edited by RagingBrit

It's obvious.

The boy statue had been into the fridge for some cold beer and when he drank it all couldn't make the loo in time and the other statue is saying, STOP peeing about, it`s splashing me in the face.

You are doomed, talking to a Phieee like that...STOP peeing about

It's obvious.

The right ear of a ghost is well known to be the source of plasma flashes, especially when a statue of the ghost is photographed from behind, an irreverent gesture. The 'flash' as you call it is simply the release of an ectoplasmic substance (much like an ejaculation) desgined to entice an adjoining statue (the katoy statue with the long hair) into cosmic copulation.

Simple....and I thought this forum would have known all of this,,,dissapointed.