SSO card as returning expat

Tayida

As returning expat can use the SSO card as insurance, when apply for the TP? With a card expired 4 years ago and Social Security they are no longer issuing cards but rather verifying via passport number, can use it anyway? Thank you.

Yes, you can use a valid SSO card instead of insurance.

SSO cards are still being issued if you apply for them. They cost 10 baht and take about 2 months to be issued.

Alternatively there is an online version of the card which works well for most people.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Yes, you can use a valid SSO card instead of insurance.

SSO cards are still being issued if you apply for them. They cost 10 baht and take about 2 months to be issued.

Alternatively there is an online version of the card which works well for most people.

If i am not employed, can apply for the SSO card?

I agree with Blackcab.. You CAN get them.. i got a new one in November and my colleague got a new one in early March..  I didn’t have to pay a fee however (that might be because i needed a new card for an expiring one and that might be free as opposed to a replacement for a lost card might have the fee - I’m not sure)

One thing to be aware of, antidotally it seems that not many entities outside of the DCA/MFA are aware that Thai SSO *is* a valid substitute for $20k insurance.. so it might be helpful if you have a copy of the DCAs latest updated rules .pdf to show - just in case one of the entities isn’t aware…

22 hours ago, new2here said:

One thing to be aware of, antidotally it seems that not many entities outside of the DCA/MFA are aware that Thai SSO *is* a valid substitute for $20k insurance.. so it might be helpful if you have a copy of the DCAs latest updated rules .pdf to show - just in case one of the entities isn’t aware…

I understand SSO card is written in Thai language only.

It must be hard to convince the check-in staff at the foreign country airport to let you board the plane to Thailand by showing the SSO card which they cannot read in lieu of mandatory Covid insurance.

1 hour ago, sanmyintmaung said:

I understand SSO card is written in Thai language only.

It must be hard to convince the check-in staff at the foreign country airport to let you board the plane to Thailand by showing the SSO card which they cannot read in lieu of mandatory Covid insurance.

I agree … but it IS an approved option. .. but i agree with you that it’s probably not the easiest for airline staff to check.. 

so what I did was had my card translated and i also have the QR code that links to the website - which does say “Social Security”